User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

iMac announcements in the Q3 conference call, information?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac announcements in the Q3 conference call, information?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-12, 10:55

Apple FY 04 third quarter results conference call

Apple today also announced that it will provide live audio streaming of its FY 04 Third Quarter Results Conference Call utilizing the company's popular QuickTime 6 software. The live audio webcast will be accessible through Apple’s web site. Viewers simply need to download a copy of QuickTime 6 in advance from www.apple.com/quicktime to listen to the conference call.

The conference call is scheduled for Wednesday, July 14, 2004, 2:00 p.m. PDT/5:00 p.m. EDT. The call will also be available as a continuous rebroadcast beginning Wednesday July 14 at 5:00 p.m. PDT/8:00 p.m. EDT through Wednesday, July 21 at 5:00 p.m. PDT/8:00 p.m. EDT. The dial in number for the rebroadcast is (719) 457-0820.

AppleInsider will be provide detailed coverage of the conference call, as Apple typically provides interesting nuggets of information during the questions and answers session with analysts.

This is interesting, could Apple start to build more hype about the upcoming iMacs, potentially offer pricing detail, or even show the unit itself....before the Paris Expo?

What do you all think could come out of the conference call regarding iMacs or even iPods.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-12, 11:12

Probably not much. I really don't think we're going to see them until Apple is good and ready. Yeah, kinda sucks. But I wouldn't spend the rest of July and all of August hoping for a sneak-peek.

Jobs will probably mention it, I'm sure. But just reiterate what's on the site already. "Yeah, we dropped the ball. We'll make up for that in September, trust me..." is probably about as much as you'll get.

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-07-12, 11:14

yes, i asked, will they show them now that iTMS hit 100 million

g
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-12, 11:23

I'm genuinely surprised that, considering the fact that had things gone according to plan these new iMacs probably would've been announced this week, no leaked images or even a half-ass napkin sketch has made its way out into the world. SOMEWHERE sits marketing materials for this thing: posters, spec sheets, online photo gallery, brochures, etc. All it takes is for someone to catch a glimpse and doodle it or even swipe one, scan it and post it.

That's tight security on Apple's part, huh? That workerbee dick went and ruined it for everyone.

Part of me doesn't know if I'd even want to look.

But I know I would.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-12, 11:33

You remember how secret they managed to keep the original iMac. Not a soul except for SJ and like 9 other people knew about it

Seriously though, I think Apple can keep things a secret when they really want to. I don't doubt that some of the "insider leaks" that happen come directly from Apple, just to create a certain buzz around the products. I know Apple has some amazing things left up their sleeves for the second half of the year, and we don't have a clue in the world what they are.

I, for one, am really excited

Come waste your time with me
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2004-07-12, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
You remember how secret they managed to keep the original iMac. Not a soul except for SJ and like 9 other people knew about it
Well, Apple was leaking information on 'Columbus' which was Apple's rumored reentry into set top computing. It was going to be a Pipin like machine that plugged into the TV when that was the analyst darling of the day. There were even sketches based on what 'insiders' had seen.

I'm sure all that is going to be said about the new iMacs is as follows:
Quote:
We had planned for the current suply of iMacs to be in the channel until the end of August, but demand was strong. Like we said on our web site, we'll have more information about the new iMac in September.
And that will be it. All other questions about the current iMac or future iMac will be rebuffed.

Personally, I'm interested to see what the iPod unit shipments are and if they surpass Mac shipments for the quarter. In the same vein, I would like to hear about iPod market share and revenue share with similar numbers for iTMS. Also, I would like to hear some color on Apple's HPC initiatives and Xserve RAID penetration into non-OSX installations.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-12, 12:05

Quote:
I know Apple has some amazing things left up their sleeves for the second half of the year...
Well I sure as hell HOPE so. For a big, touted 20th anniversary year, it's been a tad low-key and mellow, to say the least.

The new displays are about all I'm truly excited about. Everything else has just been an expected update (G5s, PowerBooks, iBooks, eMacs). The iMac situation is still silly and the iPod minis have taken forever to get going. Hell, we don't even have Tiger to look forward to this September!

Yeah, the "second half" better have some amazing things left because the first half was nothing to write home about.

2004, compared to 2003, has been a bit of a bust, IMO. Slow, quiet, nothing much new (AirPort Express, displays and some software?), shipping/supply issues galore, etc.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-12, 12:51

iLife '04 has been the best thing, in my opinion. The powerbook I am using is awesome, but it isnt a "holy shit" kind of thing. Plus, it cost me a lot of money.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-07-12, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Well I sure as hell HOPE so. For a big, touted 20th anniversary year, it's been a tad low-key and mellow, to say the least.

[...]
To spice things up, maybe we need something like this:

Just kidding.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-12, 13:58

Hmmmm...60% fuller hair...I like the sound of that.

Where do I sign up?

We best get something like that, crazy and way overpriced.

Oh wait...the iMac already has that spot. Move along people, nothing to see here.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-07-13, 09:00

Quote:

[..]

We best get something like that, crazy and way overpriced.

Oh wait...the iMac already has that spot. Move along people, nothing to see here.
To be fair, the 20th Anniversary Mac was a very special case in the category or crazy and overpriced. It was almost parody. The current iMac might not be the best value for money you can get for a computer, but its price does not put it out of the range of reasonable.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-07-13, 12:25

Perhaps we'll hear when the hPod will be shipping, and why it's been delayed.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2004-07-13, 13:38

If any analysts are reading this, can somebody please ask why Canada has no announced Apple Stores or even a local version of the iTunes Music Store?

Thanks.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-07-13, 15:37

Apparently there are just as few eMacs available as iMacs. Me thinks Apple is looking to going back to having one consumer desktop. Though it's not like Cap n' Jobs will admit to it during the call.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-13, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
Apparently there are just as few eMacs available as iMacs. Me thinks Apple is looking to going back to having one consumer desktop. Though it's not like Cap n' Jobs will admit to it during the call.
Really? That seems weird, considering the eMac is still being sold through the online store with a shipping time of 3-5 days. It's not being sold through the Special Deals section, but neither is the iMac. I suppose Apple sent all their remaining iMacs to resellers and Apple Retail Stores.

BTW, that's "Cap'n Jobs" not "Cap n' Jobs." You are referring to him as "Captain Jobs," right? Because "Cap n' Jobs" implies two people.

InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-07-13, 21:18

This just goes to show that I post more coherently drunk then I do when I've just gotten home from work. Though I think The Cap n' Jobs would make one helluva of sitcom. It could be a fresh spin on The Odd Couple or something.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-13, 21:30

I guess they will make a profit of $46,650,000 on revenues of 2.13 billion.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2004-07-13, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Really? That seems weird, considering the eMac is still being sold through the online store with a shipping time of 3-5 days. It's not being sold through the Special Deals section, but neither is the iMac. I suppose Apple sent all their remaining iMacs to resellers and Apple Retail Stores.

BTW, that's "Cap'n Jobs" not "Cap n' Jobs." You are referring to him as "Captain Jobs," right? Because "Cap n' Jobs" implies two people.

Yeah, eMacs appear to be in short supply, at least according to the green light/red light scorecard at Macprices:
http://www.macprices.com/emactracker.shtml

What's Apple expected to profit last quarter? 15 cents/share? I'm hoping for maybe 16-17 cents/share, but this current quarter will be very interesting. Get some more big Xserve orders to offset the lack of iMacs
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-07-13, 22:13

My information came from MacDailyNews that claimed a source said eMac supplies low, none in pipeline.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2004-07-13, 22:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
Yeah, eMacs appear to be in short supply, at least according to the green light/red light scorecard at Macprices:
http://www.macprices.com/emactracker.shtml
It's interesting that the site lists the online Apple Store as being out of eMacs, even though they are (apparently) still available, ready to be received by the purchaser - as noted above - in 3-5 business days.
Faolan

2004-07-13, 22:27

Quote:

Seriously though, I think Apple can keep things a secret when they really want to. I don't doubt that some of the "insider leaks" that happen come directly from Apple, just to create a certain buzz around the products. I know Apple has some amazing things left up their sleeves for the second half of the year, and we don't have a clue in the world what they are.

I, for one, am really excited
I don't mean to be a troll or anything - because I like macs and all - but really, people, you've been saying this kind of stuff for years now! "Apple is going to surprise us!" Yet they haven't really come out with a truly unique product since the iMac was introduced, and the whole iMac concept has been used entirely too much. And the market share? Don't expect that to change anytime soon as long as Jobs is in power - he just can't seem to come up with anything to beat a $500 Dell. He's taken the company and driven it into the ground.

Just a bit of opposite view for ya
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-14, 01:55

No unique products since the iMac?

Yeah right.

1. 2G iMac
2. PB G4 (titanium and Aluminum)
3. iPod
4. iPod
5. iPod
6. Mac OS X
7. Mac OS X
8. Mac OS freekin X
9. iBook (clamshell and iceBooks)
10. Worlds first 64 bit processor (G5)
11. PM G5 (an incredible machine in anyone's book
12. AirPort (Apple began the whole wireless thing with AirPort)
13. AirPort Express with AirTunes. Simply amazing

So you tell me that Apple hasn't come up with anything innovative and original since the G3 iMac...I'll just keep laughing, along with everyone else who is waiting for Apple's next big surprise.

moazam

2004-07-14, 02:00

Quote:
No unique products since the iMac?

Yeah right.

You're NOT serious....right? Please tell me you're not serious.

-M
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-14, 02:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by moazam

-M
Perhaps my lack of sleep got the best of me. Rephrasing: The worlds first 64 bit processor available in a personal computer.

Still, no small feat all things considered.

Sorry for the error.

moazam

2004-07-14, 02:13

Quote:
Perhaps my lack of sleep got the best of me. Rephrasing: The worlds first 64 bit processor available in a personal computer.

Still, no small feat all things considered.

Sorry for the error.
Welll...still. 'Personal computer' is debatable also. Sun had the Sun Blade 100/150 out for $995 before the PowerMac G5 came out, and thats a 64bit processor machine also.

Anyways, the G5 is nice, but you can't attribute that as a technology that Apple has pioneered. Apple is just popping it into a box and selling it...(basically).

Apples technology wins are things like OS X, Rendevous, Quartz, etc.

-M
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-14, 07:11

Shut the fuck up about the technicalities, DMBand is right. Can't wait to see Apple have ANOTHER profitable quarter, in the face of market share problems and "fan outcry" about not having a $2 dollar PC for sale to compete with those Nickel Dells.

Faolan

2004-07-14, 10:14

Quote:

-M

Uh...so not true! UltraSPARC, MIPS, and Alpha have been 64-bit for years! So don't try this one.
moazam

2004-07-14, 11:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
Shut the fuck up about the technicalities, DMBand is right. Can't wait to see Apple have ANOTHER profitable quarter, in the face of market share problems and "fan outcry" about not having a $2 dollar PC for sale to compete with those Nickel Dells.
I don't know who the hell you're referring to, or which point of DMBands you are referring to, but technically speaking or NOT, he is WRONG on the 64bit point. Apple did not MAKE the 64bit processor. Its these type of stupid points that makes most Mac users look like 12 year old dumbasses. Grow the fuck up, get out of your house and go look outside for once.

-M
Faolan

2004-07-14, 11:24

Quote:
I don't know who the hell you're referring to, or which point of DMBands you are referring to, but technically speaking or NOT, he is WRONG on the 64bit point. Apple did not MAKE the 64bit processor. Its these type of stupid points that makes most Mac users look like 12 year old dumbasses. Grow the fuck up, get out of your house and go look outside for once.

-M

Nicely said.
moazam

2004-07-14, 11:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolan
Uh...so not true! UltraSPARC, MIPS, and Alpha have been 64-bit for years! So don't try this one.
Yuhp, this pic is circa 1996 or 1997, almost 7-8 years ago. 2 64bit machines sitting on my desk, and they both did NOT cost a fortune for the time either, they were somewhat reasonable.

-M