User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Refurb PowerBook vs MacBook Pro

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Refurb PowerBook vs MacBook Pro
xebeche

2006-07-24, 21:36

I'm in the market for a new notebook. I recently returned a defective MacBook and haven't purchased a new system because I've caught wind of the potential Merom release. I know anticipating Apple's upgrades can be difficult, but my understanding is that the first shipments of the Core 2 Duo processors have begun shipping for Apple and another company only. This leads me to believe a MacBook Pro update is on its way.

Normally I'd simply wait, but I have the option of purchasing a refurbished version of the last 15" PowerBook (Dual-Layer DVD-RW) for a little less than $1200. A bottom of the line Merom MacBook Pro (whenever it will be released) will probably cost me $1800.

I'd love the extra power, but I honestly just need a portable machine to run Aperture/Photoshop and to do some school work. If I decide on the PowerBook I'd probably resell it in about a year. Would I lose a lot of money over eBay, is it even worth it?

All input is appreciated!

Jeremy
Partial
Stallion

2006-07-24, 21:44

if you're gonna resell it in a year why not get the more expensive one and sell it for more. I am confident the MacBook pro will be worth closer to what you pay in a year than the PowerBook will be
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-07-24, 21:51

I thought there's refurb MacBook Pro already? If there are, you might as well get them instead of a refurb PB...
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-07-25, 16:30

I hope, that as a school student, you have a full license for aperture ($299) and Photoshop ($649)?

I'd personally go with the PowerBook, although with the MacBook Pro you will get more speed, Photoshop will run slow- and the PB will be significantly cheaper. Specially if you are going to resell in the future. Peace out.
xebeche

2006-07-25, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit
I hope, that as a school student, you have a full license for aperture ($299) and Photoshop ($649)?
Actually, for college students Aperture is $149 and Photoshop is $299. I'm not making money off my photography...yet. So, why pay more? :P

I'm still torn over the topic, so I think it's wise to wait it out until WWDC has come and gone. Even if new MacBook Pros aren't released there, hopefully we'll have more of an idea when.
JayReding

2006-07-26, 11:51

Yeah, there's a pretty good chance that the MBP will get a bump with the Core 2 Duo, so it might be worth waiting to see what Apple does.