User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

New music-creation goodies from Apple released!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New music-creation goodies from Apple released!
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-09-29, 08:23

Finally, after 29 days, Apple's homepage is showing something other than the iMac G5 on the baby blue background!

http://www.apple.com

Logic Pro 7, Logic Express 7 and two new GarageBand Jam Pack collections!

Discuss, debate, etc.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2004-09-29, 08:28

What happened to emagic's hardware line?
Wrao
Yarp

2004-09-29, 08:52

I'm stoked about those new jam packs, the one thing I wanted was more drums and percussion, and now I can get more drums and percussion. although, getting all these jampacks is making the economical GB a lot less economical $350 for the program+3 jampacks...yeesh.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-29, 09:51

FOILED! Thought I might've gotten the first crack at the thread. Music gurus will be thrilled me thinks....
Gizzer

2004-09-29, 10:43

Would you think it's fair to say that the rumoured Pro Band is in fact Logic Express? The complete integration with Garageband + Apple loops/Jam Packs etc would seem to suggest so....
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-29, 11:02

Yes. That's my take. It would make very little sense for Apple - from a product matrix and consumer understanding POV - to introduce a fourth music creation app (fifth really if you include Soundtrack) into their mix. There's already a bit too much overlap IMO but Logic 7 Express looks really nice.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-09-29, 12:22

Yeah I'm gonna buy Logic Express real soon. And both those Jam Packs... *sigh*. Logic Express makes me happy in my special place though. As long as they've sufficiently "Apple-ized" the interface to be usable, instead of frustratingly vague and needlessly complex like Logic 6, it's a winner. I have a couple GarageBand projects right now that would definitely be better suited for Express.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-09-29, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzer
Would you think it's fair to say that the rumoured Pro Band is in fact Logic Express? The complete integration with Garageband + Apple loops/Jam Packs etc would seem to suggest so....
I still think that when apple updates iLife again, the next major revision of GB will kick it up a notch and really raise the bar. Apple's known to do that.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-29, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I still think that when apple updates iLife again, the next major revision of GB will kick it up a notch and really raise the bar. Apple's known to do that.
Apple is also known for introducing great apps and then letting them stagnate forever without updates.

Recently, we have Keynote, iChat, and of course AppleWorks in that category. OOOH BUT TIGER iChat CAN NOW CONFERENCE WITH MORE THAN ONE PERSON. Whoop-dee-frickin-doo. So, Apple took a feature than only a small number of us use and expanded it to a feature that an even smaller number of people will use. Wow. QuickTime fits in this category, too, as it hasn't had a major overhaul in years. Tiger is actually supposed to bring some upgrades in that arena, though.

Please excuse my cynicism, but I have this sneaky suspicion that GarageBand is going one of those "wow factor" apps that makes a huge splash upon release and then just sits idly by...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-29, 13:43

Well, except that it's part of iLife. Apple doesn't want one of their iLife apps to stagnate while the rest are updated. They've already committed to the "iLife '04" naming scheme, so next year we'll see iLife '05. They won't ship iLife '05 with iMovie 5, iTunes 5, iPhoto 5, iDVD 5, and the same old version of Garage Band that they released months ago. Leaving GB the same would make a lot of people not want to buy the suite, and making it a standalone software product would be even worse since they already have Soundtrack and now Logic Express.

They tend to let their stand-alone applications stagnante. Keynote, iChat, Safari, AppleWorks, and Soundtrack are all good examples of this. Isn't Final Cut Express also about due for an update? I think it's been out nearly two years, with just one update so far.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-09-29, 14:02

Yea, I just bought FCE 2.0 with my new iMac so an update should be right around the corner. That's what happened last year when I bought FCE 1.0 with my PowerBook.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-29, 14:04

I would be amazed - given its incredible popularity - if Garageband didn't receive a significant update with iLife 05. My biggest beef with the suite is iDVD and its interface inconsistencies with the rest of the suite, and the sluggish performance of iMovie. If they can rectify those two things and add a nice update for GB, I'll gladly foot the bill...

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-09-29, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
I would be amazed - given its incredible popularity - if Garageband didn't receive a significant update with iLife 05. My biggest beef with the suite is iDVD and its interface inconsistencies with the rest of the suite, and the sluggish performance of iMovie. If they can rectify those two things and add a nice update for GB, I'll gladly foot the bill...
Totally agreed.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-09-29, 14:58

Quote:
FOILED! Thought I might've gotten the first crack at the thread. Music gurus will be thrilled me thinks....
*raises hand* I'm completely thrilled.

...and broke now that I've ordered it. Um, 'it' being Logic Pro 7.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-29, 15:02

Congrats. Let us now how it is once you get it... the Apple-fied interface looks very nice on both apps. Certainly better than what eMagic had offered with earlier variants.

sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-09-29, 15:08

Quote:
Congrats. Let us now how it is once you get it... the Apple-fied interface looks very nice on both apps. Certainly better than what eMagic had offered with earlier variants.
I will indeed.

Anyone notice that the emagic site now just refers to Apple's?
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-09-29, 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
OOOH BUT TIGER iChat CAN NOW CONFERENCE WITH MORE THAN ONE PERSON. ...QuickTime fits in this category, too, as it hasn't had a major overhaul in years. Tiger is actually supposed to bring some upgrades in that arena, though.
Well, iChat will also inherit the new H.264 codec, which I guess isn't quite feature-creep, but a good improvement anyways. Plus QT is getting a MAJOR overhaul in Tiger, especially under the hood. I mean, some changes are more apparent than others, but can be just as significant. I expect GB to fall into that category, save some shortcomings and added features inspired by Logic's feature set.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-09-29, 16:54

Distributed Audio sounds very cool. I'll be interested to try that out.

http://www.apple.com/logic/distributedaudio.html
autodata
hustlin

2004-09-29, 17:43

Seems like kind of a boring update. I certainly expected more. The distributed processing is nice, but it's kind of late. That shit was needed a couple years ago far more than it is now. I'll stick with pro 6 unless there's some great new feature I haven't found out about yet.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-09-29, 18:44

Damn you Apple! Logic 7 Express + the three Jam Packs comes to almost one thousand aussie dollars!

I'm trying to be responsible with money, but Apple is making it so very hard

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-29, 18:48

Jam Packs 2 and 3 look to be a bit more useful than the first if you're talking more modern sounding music. I think LE7 comes with tons of loops to start with (probably more than GB).

Wrao
Yarp

2004-09-29, 19:14

Quote:
Jam Packs 2 and 3 look to be a bit more useful than the first if you're talking more modern sounding music. I think LE7 comes with tons of loops to start with (probably more than GB).

Man, I should probably consider using loops more, after I get these jampacks and logic express I'll have nearly 10,000 loops!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-29, 20:58

Who needs Midi when you got Apple Loops, eh?
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2004-09-30, 00:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
Seems like kind of a boring update. I certainly expected more. The distributed processing is nice, but it's kind of late. That shit was needed a couple years ago far more than it is now. I'll stick with pro 6 unless there's some great new feature I haven't found out about yet.
Other than Plugin Delay Compensation(which doesn't seem to be there) what exactly where you hoping for? I disagree with your assertion that Distributed Computing was needed a couple of years ago. Convolution reverbs take a lot of power and they are just now getting popular. Plugins always require work to keep processing load down. Waveburner Pro is included as well as Sculpture, Ultrabeat, Guitar Amp and EMF1. Apple Loops support is very nice and oft requested. The UI should be more cohesive and there are plenty of import/export options and global settings that should make your life easier. If you're doing anything beyond just hobbyist music making I can't see why you wouldn't look at these tools as a productivity enhancer.

I can't wait until I'm running Logic Pro and Final Cut on my computer. I really should be able to do some cool things. I'm definitely excited. Finally L7 is here.

omgwtfbbq
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-09-30, 00:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
They tend to let their stand-alone applications stagnante. Keynote, iChat, Safari, AppleWorks, and Soundtrack are all good examples of this. Isn't Final Cut Express also about due for an update? I think it's been out nearly two years, with just one update so far.
I think the logical way forward it to combine GB and Logic Express.. and make it one product. Don't know how this will affect GB's name and iLife.. Logic Express is also at present too expensive to just bundle with iLife.

Perhaps Soundtrack will go and Logic will be combined with Final Cut. Leaving GB and Express as two more stages to a three tier product range?

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-09-30, 01:08

I ordered Logic Express today, along with Jam Pack 3. Jam pack 3 already shipped, and Logic Express won't ship till the end of October. *sigh*.

Oh well. I'll file a report here when I get it.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-09-30, 01:15

I personally agree with scratt on the amalgamation of GB and Logic Express - or the retirement of Soundtrack - if not for the simplification of the product line, then at least to have the iapps exist as iapps. (how they let GB as a name fly, I don't know )

On a more serious note, though - there now seems to be quite a bit of overlap between GB, Logic Express and Soundtrack. Granted, there are degrees of features offered within each program to appeal to a certain price point, but to my untrained eye (I own none of these apps) I think Apple could afford to trim one of them.

For video for instance, you have: iMovie, Final Cut Express then Final Cut Pro - musically it could be GB (different name - please!), Logic Express then Logic Pro.

If somebody can fill me in on the usefulness of Soundtrack now - with the present audio-software offerings from Apple, I'd be happy to learn how it fits into their product matrix.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-09-30, 01:44

Quote:
Who needs Midi when you got Apple Loops, eh?
Moogs - to an old-timer such as myself, MIDI offers intricate scope to edit performance data (as opposed to audio clips) that simple loop editing cannot accomplish. For example, MIDI can control when the sostenuto pedal on a piano is depressed and when it is released, how much pitch bend is applied to a single note and how much aftertouch data is used to alter the sonic characteristics of a note or phrase.

Also, by making use of MIDI - you are not constrained to the "audio palette" provided by your local loop provider. You can play your MIDI instrument as you see fit and layer some of your personality and sound sources onto your tracks.

(Granted you can also record audio tracks the same way - but there is something to be said for recording your own wailing solo and then altering an incorrect note or the amount of pitchbend - something that is not quite as easy to do to an audio track alone.)

All I want is a simple life
twitter
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-09-30, 01:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
For video for instance, you have: iMovie, Final Cut Express then Final Cut Pro - musically it could be GB (different name - please!), Logic Express then Logic Pro.
I agree on the GB name thing. Just gives me images of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs in their respective garages with long hair and half beards way back when! Hilarious!

A pairing of Logic Express and Final Cut Express would make a nice low end package to compliment the High end package Apple already offers. I think we wil se this happen.

Then Logic and Final Cut Pro seems the next logical pairing.

That leaves GB - The name will probably stay, but wouldn't it be nice to call it Logic Lite, or some such and tie it all up.

Soundtrack is a nice package. I don't use it regularly but would be sad to see it go because I have integrated it into certain workflows.. but if one has to go I think it will be that one. IMHO

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-09-30, 03:11

From what I can see in the screenshots of Logic Express, GarageBand still looks vastly simpler from an interface perspective. Apple will probably still want something anybody, even the non-musical types, can noodle around with - and GarageBand is it. Logic Express seems to still have a Logic interface, with some Apple-isms thrown in, like the transport bar. More powerful, but more complex.