User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: AppleNova is now running Feed the Beast's Direwolf20 Modpack!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova is now running Feed the Beast's Direwolf20 Modpack!
Page 8 of 14 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  Next Last Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2013-04-14, 18:06

I think there's only a few redstone engines running at my place right now. I'll turn them off until we can figure out what's what.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-14, 19:08

It would seen we have active chunks when there shouldn't be. These files were updated five minutes after the last player had logged off.
Code:
-rw-rw-r-- 1 owner group 8.3M Apr 14 19:05 r.-2.0.mca -rw-rw-r-- 1 owner group 6.5M Apr 14 19:05 r.-2.2.mca -rw-rw-r-- 1 owner group 7.1M Apr 14 19:05 r.-3.0.mca -rw-rw-r-- 1 owner group 9.9M Apr 14 19:05 r.-1.0.mca -rw-rw-r-- 1 owner group 7.5M Apr 14 19:05 r.1.-2.mca -rw-rw-r-- 1 owner group 7.5M Apr 14 19:05 r.0.0.mca -rw-rw-r-- 1 owner group 7.7M Apr 14 19:05 r.0.1.mca -rw-rw-r-- 1 owner group 7.7M Apr 14 19:05 r.-1.1.mca
I haven't been able to spend too much time on it tonight because I have other things going. Since there was no one on the server and these did update each minute after the 19:00:49 disconnect I would wager this is our load issue. Something in these chunks are keeping them live. If it's a world anchor or other item doing it I don't know. With all the livestock and such around there though I'm sure it's the real issue for the load. Of this, based on other MC servers I'm running, only r.0.0.mca should be regularly updating. None of the other chunks should be active with no users in them.

bb: Guess I'm just picking a fight. :sigh:

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2013-04-14 at 19:27. Reason: Added another relevant detail.
¡Damned!

2013-04-14, 20:54

Is "r.-2.0.mca" and such the position of the chunk in relation to Spawn?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-04-14, 21:45

Turtle I wasn't going to say anything, but you WERE picking a fight...

If it makes you feel any better, I'm just starting my taxes tonight.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-14, 21:46

r.-2.0.mca is the actual file name for the chunks that MC saves the game in. My area (-1500, 200) is on r.-4.0.mca as an example. I tried to make out the actual number of chunks contained in the .mca file but didn't have the time to get into it tonight. I think it's 32x32 chunks and chunks are 16x16 but I'm not sure. Spawn is normally located in the r.0.0.mca file.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2013-04-14, 21:49

It's partially that I have my render distance far enough to load the chunk in which your lava tanks are, Bruce, but like I say - not a problem. I could turn down my render distance, but really, it's okay. My issue isn't so much the FPS drop - it's the overheating computer, which is likely to be alleviated soon as it is (hooray potential new job springing for a brand new iMac maxed out!). The overheating doesn't just happen there - that's just the only consistent place it does. I'm *not* complaining about that - it's an issue easily solved for me by moving a bit, and I found a spot with scenery I really enjoy. I even get an alpine forest in the background for my lodge.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-04-15, 01:09

So, my laptop died a death, so I'm trying to use my wife's machine.

What version should I be trying to use again? (And can we update the first post to reflect that?) I'm getting a "the following mods are required" message if I try to use 5.2 which I thought was the right one.

EDIT: 5.1.1 apparently.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-04-15, 01:19

Turtle: I think Quarries act as world anchors too. Mine says "this quarry will keep x chunks loaded" when placed. I was hoping that was only when it was powered, but maybe not?
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2013-04-15, 02:28

Quarries in Buildcraft 3.0 do act as anchors, even when not powered.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-15, 08:33

So how many quarries or world anchors are active right now?
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2013-04-15, 09:10

I don't have either. So I'm not to blame. Got some real lag last night around 1130 EST and had a FPS drop to 14 (typically 30 FPS with Optifine at high levels). This was at my base which has had no issues in the past.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-04-15, 09:29

I have 3 or 4 world anchors - you can nuke them if you need to!

Or do I need to?

come to think of it, I have 3 at my place near spawn and one waaaaaay out at magic mountain - could that large distance separation be the problem??

It would be AWESOME if I was to blame for something, finally!!!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-15, 09:41

Well, any one near spawn is going to be a problem due to the number of animals. You only need one to cover 9 chunks. It keeps the chunk it's in active and the surrounding 8 chunks too.

The one at Magic Mountain shouldn't be an issue due to distance, that doesn't matter. The issue if just having more chunks active than need to be active.

It's easier if you remove them.

The problem isn't that there are world anchors or quarries, it's the number of them with lots of activities that's the problem.

¡Damned!

2013-04-15, 19:03

No quarries or world anchors at my place either. I'm not nearly as advanced as Drew, so maybe it's safe to turn my rolling machine engines back on? Because, rebar.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-15, 19:52

Having machines in general isn't a problem. It's when those are running and no one is on. The java app (MC server) is forced to process the chunks and keep updating the data. This takes from those who are on playing. So leave your machines running if you need them, but when you log out and that chunk isn't active they will stop and wait for you to get back.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-04-15, 20:28

I have a quarry (singular) and am quite close to spawn. Instead of just turning it off when I'm offline I could also break it and throw in a chest overnight. Do we think that would help?

Alternatively, I could move my quarrying operation to a more remote location if that is any use?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-15, 20:39

Based on what I've see of those, putting it in a chest when you aren't actually using is the best way. Moving to a remote location won't really make a difference, it will just change the chunk loading.

delphi

2013-04-15, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I have 3 or 4 world anchors - you can nuke them if you need to!

Captain Drew understands how to make glass in Minecraft. However he doesn't understand a world anchor.

Let's see world anchor or way-point. That must be the same thing.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-15, 22:23

drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-04-15, 22:30

Shutup everybody.

Dellphi explained the difference to me over the phone.

I honestly thought I had made world anchors.... but they're waypoints.

Stop laughing at me!!!

¡Damned!

2013-04-16, 20:21

Apologies to everyone that were on last night – I was afk for the longest time in an ice cream coma (Thanks Lynn!) and forgot to log off.

Was the thing we used to have before that kicked inactive members bukkit-based? 'Cause that would be a nice thing to re-implement if we could.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-16, 20:38

I was looking at that and it was a Bukkit thing to kick for AFK or let people sleep the night away while you're AFK. There might be one for FTB, but I haven't found it yet.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-16, 21:05

FYI, I just checked the log and haven't seen the load issue since the server restart at 5AM. So whoever changed something yesterday, it likely was the culprit.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-04-17, 00:58

I put my quarry in a chest for storage, so maybe that.
¡Damned!

2013-04-17, 18:00

BRYSON!

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-04-17, 18:05

I broke the server! IN YOUR FACE BOBSKY.
¡Damned!

2013-04-17, 18:59

¡Damned!

2013-04-17, 19:04

If anyone is looking at RailCraft thingies, my place is open to you. Now that I have the cobble to iron thing working (slowly, but working) I have a ton of iron, and I've been converting it to rebar and various tracks. So, come by and take what you want. There are Project Tables with rail crafting in place, and there are chests around that have everything you'd need*.

Also, my blast furnaces are empty atm if you need steel, and if for some reason you need to cook some coal coke you can use those furnaces too. Have at it.

There's a chest with Metal Posts next to the Project Tables too. Take what you want, but you'll have to supply your own dye.

*except for HS rails. Fuck those things – they sound scary. Reinforced Rails are faster than normal rails and you can still do corners.

[edit]: Just to be clear, again: take as much as you want. In cooking all the parts I didn't realize that it would only take a couple of this and a few of that to make an entire stack of rails. Seriously, I am overloaded. Grab with no remorse. Plus, I am always making more.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2013-04-17 at 19:26.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-17, 20:37

FYI: at 15:54:40 the loading issue in the logs returned. bb and Dellphi were the two on I noticed at that point. The load error hasn't stopped since starting either.

709: I've started looking at the rail stuff but don't know where to begin and don't have the time to really get into it. If I want to build a rail to go beside the skyway, which would be the best? I was going to just build a standard rail but then saw all the railcraft stuff.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-04-18, 02:23

hmm... the only thing that i did was to re-establish a portal pair that keeps breaking. i removed them at ~03:22:45 (EDT). let me know if that changed anything.

Aha! Portals from the portal gun are chunk loaders.... so be careful with them...

Last edited by billybobsky : 2013-04-18 at 05:50.