User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

how to quit Microsoft Word Help (on my Mac)?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
how to quit Microsoft Word Help (on my Mac)?
malcolm

2007-09-27, 20:31

Hi there,
I know a lot of people hate Word, but I need to use it. And it works quite well for me, except for a very annoying problem. Whenever the Microsoft Word Help window comes up (usually of its own accord), I can't get rid of it. There's no little red button to press in the upper left, no 'Quit Help' command to give... nothing.
I have to quit Word, and then relaunch...
Can anyone tell me an easier way?
Thanks,
Malcolm
Chinney
Veteran Member

2007-09-27, 20:36

The Assistant should have that red button. I don't know why yours does not. Nevertheless, try right clicking on it (or ctrl-click if you have a one-button mouse). The option for "Turn Office Assistant Off" will come up on the contextual menu. (Thanks to my 13-year old daughter for suggesting this.)

I hope that works for you.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
malcolm

2007-09-28, 08:08

Hi Chinney -- thanks for weighing in on this... it is odd... I really don't seem to have the standard red button... there's a green 'Back' and a green 'Forward' button at the top left, but not the red (or the orange or green) button. And no way to get to a contextual menu. It must be a bug, or a quirk.
But I thank you, and your daughter (it's so nice of her to help) for trying. By the way, I live in Ottawa too.
Cheers,
Malcolm
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2007-09-28, 08:15

"CMD" (Apple or cloverleaf Symbol) + "W" normally closes a window.
"CMD" + "Q" quits.

Some apps (Apple and other 3rd party) use the internal Help Viewer app, which can be quit independently of the main app. Word help uses its own internal viewer, but my copy of Word 2004 has a red close pill that functions normally. Ditto the annoying assistant (which I never use).

Which version of Word and which version of OS X are you using?

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
malcolm

2007-09-28, 08:40

Hi curiousuburb,
Thanks to you I'm now ahead of where I was, anyway. With the M. Help window up, Apple-W closes the Word doc I have open... another hit of Apple-W will close the Help window. I then have to reopen my doc, but this is much better than re-launching the app. So that's good.
No red close pill, and I am running Word 2004 for Mac, versioin 11.3.5
Should I update?
Thanks,
Malcolm
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2007-09-28, 09:05

I'm running the same version.

When you describe seeing the green forward and back arrows at the top of the help window, I'm wondering if they're right at the very top of your screen.

(i.e. the title bar with the close and maximize pills exists, but is off screen because the help viewer window opens a few too many pixels above where it should be.) Might be there, but just not visible.

Can you grab the edges of the Help window and move it down a bit?

Alternatively, can you tweak your screen resolution temporarily before you open the app and pull the help window down a bit, then switch back to your preferred res?

HTH

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-09-28, 09:21

We are talking about this window, yes?

malcolm

2007-09-28, 09:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
I'm running the same version.

When you describe seeing the green forward and back arrows at the top of the help window, I'm wondering if they're right at the very top of your screen// Might be there, but just not visible// can you tweak your screen resolution temporarily before you open the app and pull the help window down a bit, then switch back to your preferred res?
HTH
Well, this is why it's called the Genius Bar I guess! Thanks so much. I changed the resolution, and there are there are the little 'pill' buttons. Dragged the offending window down, and changed back to 1280 X 854 - - and now the Help Window is where I want it (ie. so I can close it).
I really appreciate the help,
Malcolm
malcolm

2007-09-28, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
We are talking about this window, yes?

Hi chucker,
My problem's solved, but I've got a follow-up question: I tried to add a screenshot, and it didn't work. Can you tell me how you did it?
Malcolm
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-09-28, 09:39

Malcolm,
You need to host the image somewhere on the web and then post a link to that image inbetween the [img][/img] tags.

For instance, Chucker's photo is hosted on the site Image Shack....

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
malcolm

2007-09-28, 17:27

thanks drewprops - - I'll check into this.
Malcolm
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-09-28, 21:20

How strange... A thread about not being able to quit Word.. Our problem here is the opposite.. Trying to get Word not to 'unexpectedly' quit!

Glad malcolm got it sorted though.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
traveling

2007-09-28, 23:38

I feel it very surprised. You can use this keywords "Alt + F4 ".