AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Bad powerbook owner! Bad!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Bad powerbook owner! Bad!
bmarquis

2005-03-10, 15:19

Hi,
I've been very bad.
About a week after my 12" powerbook's apple care expired, my hard drive died. I contacted apple about fixing it and they said it would cost something like $450 for the powerbook replacement program.
I found $450 to be a bit pricey for a hard drive replacement, so I decided to do it myself. During the process, I snapped a plug receptor off of the logic board.
It gets worse....
A friend of mine is an electrical engineer and works with soldering circuit boards pretty regulalry, and he owed me a favor, so he agreed to try to solder the plug back on. Now, my logic board is about as dead as can be, melted and covered in solder.
It's basically going to cost the price of a new powerbook to get the logic board replaced.
My question is this:
The powerbook replacement plan requires that the powerbook is not tampered with. Has anyone tried to send in a tampered powerbook in for replacement, tried to sneak one by? What kind of result did you get?

thanks all!
the bad powerbook owner
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-03-10, 15:21

Dude, it sounds like the damage is very obvious. That won't fly. But what "powerbook replacement plan" are you referring to? There's one for iBooks with bad logic boards, but not for powerbook. You're pretty much SOL, I think. sorry.
Wraven

2005-03-10, 15:25

That and I think you would be teh suck if you sent it in, after f*cking it up yourself. IMHO of course...
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-03-10, 15:40

But you might get a place of honour on the Service Dept.'s "Wall of Self-Inflicted Shame"

so it's not all bad...

Seriously, it sounds like you're pretty clearly caught with your hand in the cookie jar here.

Being honest and up front will cost more, but earn you better treatment than if you try and scam them.
bmarquis

2005-03-10, 16:39

Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet a buy a new one.
Thanks for the moral advice.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-10, 16:53

The moral of this story is to always ALWAYS ALWAYS keep AppleCare on your PowerBook or iBook as long as you plan to use it as a primary computer. I've seen too many sad stories of problems cropping up just after expiration to think twice about skipping out on AppleCare.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-03-10, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
The moral of this story is to always ALWAYS ALWAYS keep AppleCare on your PowerBook or iBook as long as you plan to use it as a primary computer. I've seen too many sad stories of problems cropping up just after expiration to think twice about skipping out on AppleCare.
Hey, Brad, AppleCare can't be extended 'beyond' three years, can it?
WBG4

Send a message via ICQ to WBG4 Send a message via AIM to WBG4  
2005-03-10, 17:13

I wish it could be
elvia

2005-03-10, 22:39

Do you want to give me your dead book to play with???
Really.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-03-10, 22:56

The 12" PowerBook was introduced in early January of 2003. Therefore, AppleCare could not have expired on it, even if he purchased it with the PowerBook on the day of its release.

Moral of the story - buy AppleCare!
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-03-10, 23:07

What plug receptor? Do you mean a port, or the power port (DC in)?

I'm confused why it wouldn't work without a port on it...why your friend couldn't solder it back on. You can buy parts for the powerbook online at different places, but I think this thread shows your not too nimble inside a computer

I guess you'll be getting a mac mini sometime soon.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-03-11, 01:56

yeah, Apple is most likely going to refuse to fix it because of the self-inflicted damage to the internal components.

I'd try www.powerbookresq.com if I were you.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-03-11, 08:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarquis
Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet a buy a new one.
Thanks for the moral advice.
Think honesty is the best policy .....