AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

PHP based proxy

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PHP based proxy
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-08-24, 21:59

I've been working on a small PHP project this summer consisting of a couple scripts, a database, and a Proxy server. I have the main script complete and the database set up and that works nicely. But I am having a problem with the simple-as-I-can-get proxy to intercept a XML response and insert my own information. I found a few proxy servers on sourceforge but they are way too complicated for me to teach myself much less modify. I'm almost at a point where I am just going to build the whole freak'n protocol myself. It wouldn't be that hard, but I don't necessarily want to do that for potential legal reasons; instead only supplement their response with my category.

A little background info if you want... I bought a Onkyo TX-NR801 Amplifier about a year ago and it is a wonderful machine with the exception of one feature that happened to sell me on this purchase. It has a ethernet port and can play internet radio stations sans computer. Sweet! (Oh HAHA! ;cancer; When did that change! Anyways... ) The feature has never worked with the exception of 2 Windows Media stations encoded at 32K/s and one 128K MP3 of actual, real-life, honest-to-god static. Yea. Even the word "disappointing" is too optimistic to use. I googled for a solution and found I was not alone. (Google: "onkyo nettune hack" / I'm Feeling Lucky) Something needed to be done. Someone created a personal solution and shared it with the rest of us but I wanted to take this one step further and offer a service to everyone. Hence the Hybrid database was born. (My Bro is sapping up all my bandwidth with his torrents. Curse the free space on his external hard drive!)

So this proxy would intercept a response, query a database, add some data to a XML file, and send it on its way to the amp. Unfortunately, this level of PHP is currently beyond me at the moment but I am trying to learn. (Something about recompiling with low level sockets fried my brain.) Anyone feel like helping out on this little adventure?

If you are interested, a ZIP file is HERE
I'm probably forgetting something so just ask.
Free (Legal) Congo DVD's if you need a bribe.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-08-31, 21:25

Well, heck. There are other ways. Plan "B" in in progress... or so I thought.

I now have a problem somewhere installing BIND. I think the configuration files are correct and permissions are set but I am not getting any response for DNS queries or on port 53.

Has anyone installed BIND on OS X around here with success?

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET