Dead Quicksilver

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Dead Quicksilver
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2004-11-22, 11:01

I need some help here.
I upgraded the processor in my QS the other day (I've done this on 4 other QS's without issue in the past) and now the QS is dead. I reinstalled the old processor but the computer still will not work.

Here is what is happening:
I push the power button and the main fan starts up, the light for the power button goes out. The fan will spin forever, but the machine will not boot. The little red light on the MB is solid red.

I have tried replacing the battery, waiting 30 minutes and pushing the button next to the battery. Did not help.

Anyone have any ideas they can throw my way before I spend big $$ replacing parts.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-11-22, 11:31

I might have been able to help you if you were able to boot up the computer after reinstalling the old processor. Still, could you give more details? Is this a retail processor upgrade or just a CPU card from another Quicksilver? If it was a retail upgrade, did you make sure the jumper settings were correct? If it was a CPU card, what computer was it from? When you removed and then reinstalled the heat sink, did you use some kind of thermal transfer compound or did you just slap the heatsink back onto the processor? Did you install the latest firmware update?

There are a lot of possible problems. I think you need to give a few more details before I or anyone else can help.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

2004-11-22, 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Is this a retail processor upgrade or just a CPU card from another Quicksilver?
Its from another QS. Its a 867mhz card from a QS that was upgraded.

Quote:
When you removed and then reinstalled the heat sink, did you use some kind of thermal transfer compound or did you just slap the heatsink back onto the processor?
I did not add thermal compound. I was told by an Apple tech (in a call regarding a previous QS about 1 year ago) NOT to use any compound when swapping out processors.

Quote:
Did you install the latest firmware update?
I checked the firmware and it was the latest. I did not write it down so I can't tell you what it is.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-11-22, 11:56

So the new processor is an 867... what was the old one? The two computers might be from different revisions. I remember that when I had a PowerMac, I tried swapping my brother's 867 MHz G4 in place of my 733 MHz G4, and it didn't work. But in my case, putting the 733 back fixed it. A few months later, after my 733 had sat in a drawer because of my upgrade to a 1.33 GHz G4, I tried it again and it didn't work at all.

That's worrisome, that it doesn't boot at all. I can't think of anything other than a damaged processor or a damaged motherboard that would cause that. The problem is that it sounds like you don't have any extra PowerMacs to test on. I'm guessing you just bought this 867 from someone else who shipped it out to you? Otherwise I'd suggest testing each processor in each motherboard, but I think you would have already done that by now if you were able.

Anyone else know what to do? I'm stumped. It just sounds like there's a physical problem with either your old CPU or your motherboard. There could be a compatibility issue with the new processor, but that's not the whole thing because otherwise it would work again if you put your original processor back.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

2004-11-22, 12:11

My QS is a QS 2002 733 Education model. The new processor comes from a QS 2002 Edu model also. The 733 Edu model was replaced with an 867 edu model.

Now that I am looking at Mactracker I can see that the 867 was a PPC 7455 and the 733 was a PPC 7450. I do not believe that this should matter at all.

I do not have another QS to test the processors on.

The thing that I do not understand is that I was very careful to not do any damage to the MB while removing the heatsink clips (BTW: are these clips not some of the most difficult to remove ever).
I was also thinking a bad MB, but was hoping that someone out there had other suggestions before I drop mucho cash on a new MB.
autodata
hustlin

2004-11-22, 12:27

I feel your pain, my friend.