AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Kill. Me. Now.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Kill. Me. Now.
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-03-13, 12:56

Got hit with a stomach bug last night. Spent most of the night on the tile bathroom floor with blankets to have easy access to the toilet. Which was used a lot.

Now, vomiting isn't something I'm particularly fond of, but I can deal with it.

What I wasn't ready for was the dual-ended attack, with my bowels liquifying out like a crashing Ebola victim. And even *that* wouldn't have been so bad... if they hadn't been happening at the same time. That was just wrong.

So today I'm so sore I can barely move - all the muscles of my back and stomach hurt like hell, I'm running a mild fever so everything else hurts, and generally I feel like ass.

And not a nice toned athletic ass. Oh no. We're talking Ron Jeremy's hairy ass after a four day bender with no shower in sight.

So of course I have to share the love.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-03-13, 13:02

Thanks. I think that reason alone is why most toilets are stationed next to the shower. Or why the FSM invented buckets.

Word to the wise. When you know you have a stomach bug, down a few tums to neutralize the acid. That when when you're puking up or shitting out your insides, it doesn't burn as much.

Thank you Madison for that one.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-13, 13:06

My sentiments.

Feel better.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-03-13, 13:08

Yeah, I seriously at one point considered stripping down, crawling in the shower, and spinning like a dual-jet sprinkler, but decided I didn't want to deal with the cleanup at the drain strainer.

Also, did the Tums thing, but mostly to try and stave off the nausea - I had this *pain* just below my sternum that felt like someone was pouring acid in there. The Tums didn't stop it, but I think it did help alleviate the secondary chemical burns.

Of course, I've lost my taste for beef empanadas...

Thanks Brad, knew I could count on you for the sympathy.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-03-13, 13:09

Hmm, interesting.

I know two other people who came down hard, in same way as you did....

Wonder if there's a pattern...
stonyc

Send a message via AIM to stonyc  
2006-03-13, 13:13

Oooooh, I can totally empathize... I was in your position(s) not more than a couple weeks ago. Basically anything that I ate or drank made its way to my stomach, then intestines, decided "There's no fucking way I'm staying here for ~24 hours" and proceeded to pass Go without collecting $200. It was disgusting, yet interesting in a weird way, to see chicken noodle soup come out as... chicken noodle soup. Chunks of bread coming out as... chunks of bread. You get the picture.

My digestive system still hasn't recovered... where before I could eat half a pizza without blinking an eye, I now struggle to eat 2 slices. I think my digestive muscles atrophied or something.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-03-13, 13:14

I'm in Hudson River Valley NY, took a trip to Da City on Sat. I'm blaming the hot dogs from the street vendor. My wife had one though, and no problems.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-03-13, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
I'm in Hudson River Valley NY, took a trip to Da City on Sat. I'm blaming the hot dogs from the street vendor. My wife had one though, and no problems.
Yeah- that's what I'm stumped on; we ate salmon and she got sick afterward while I was dallying along as if nothing happened.
digitalAngel

Send a message via AIM to digitalAngel Send a message via Yahoo to digitalAngel  
2006-03-13, 13:20

hope you feel better Kickaha!!! i feel your pain.. i experienced the same thing after eating quesadillas at Chilies a few years ago. that double ended attack got me, my brother and my grandparents all at once. needless to say, it wasn't a pretty site. my night ended with a ride to the emergency room after i fainted trying to get a glass of water. again, get well soon!

i Believe, that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade.
And try to find somebody who's life gives them vodka, and have a party!
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-03-13, 13:25

Ouch. Hope you get better soon! Did you eat something dodgy? Been there too. I caught a gastro thing when I was projectile vomited on from behind in the cinema. Good times!
Wrao
Yarp

2006-03-13, 13:25

I forget the name, but you can get a similar illness from drinking impure mountain water. Since animals shit in or near the water sometimes, the water can carry all sorts of narsty things that'll make you vomit, shit and cry all at once.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2006-03-13, 13:26

Well at least after reading this thread I can skip lunch.

Hope you feel better soon kick.

(this reminds me of a south park eps)
Sauvblanc

2006-03-13, 13:28

Whoa, Kickaha...bad flashback. You just described what happened to me last Sunday. One of the more unpleasant experiences of my life. Get well soon!
¡Damned!

2006-03-13, 13:31

That sucks, Kickaha. I feel for you. I've had some stupid fucking thing lately as well...can't keep a thing down. Luckily it's been coming up north though. I don't envy your thoughts of tub spinning.

So it goes.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-03-13, 14:06

That actually sounds a lot like food poisoning. Probably not the flu. Although if your wife gets sick, scratch that.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-03-13, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Probably not the flu. Although if your wife gets sick, scratch that.
Have you been around any birds recently? Specifically birds that seem to be sneezing and blowing their noses. Also look out for nasal voices and their beaks may be red. Don't underestimate the bird flu!
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2006-03-13, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I forget the name, but you can get a similar illness from drinking impure mountain water. Since animals shit in or near the water sometimes, the water can carry all sorts of narsty things that'll make you vomit, shit and cry all at once.
they called it "Beaver Fever" when i had it. at the time i thot it was the worst thing to ever happen to me. got it from eating wild mint on a camping trip.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-03-13, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak
they called it "Beaver Fever" when i had it. at the time i thot it was the worst thing to ever happen to me. got it from eating wild mint on a camping trip.
I just remembered what it is called.

Giardia.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-13, 14:31

Poor baby.

A few years ago, I think I ate some bad cottage cheese from a cafeteria salad bar. (I probably shouldn't have mentioned that, in case you're still feeling queasy. )

I threw up every hour for 18 hours. I couldn't even keep water down. Of course it was 17 hours of dry heaves. Ugh.

Needless to say, I had the "dual affliction". The best way is to sit on the 'porcelain throne' and hold a wastepaper basket in your hands to throw up in.

This worked pretty well until I passed out cold and fell on my face onto the tile floor. Must have grazed the edge of the basket on my way down, because I ended up with a nasty black eye in addition to the huge bump on my forehead.

When I regained consciousness, I was afraid that I might have a concussion, so I called a cab and went to the emergency room to get checked out. (I was too weak to drive, and didn't want to bother friends with my woes at 2:00 in the morning.) The ER doctor was just *sure* that I had been beaten up in a domestic violence situation, because of my black eye and huge forehead bump. I had a real job convincing him otherwise.

How are you feeling now? Your muscles will probably be sore for days. Is this a flu bug, do you think? You *know* that I feel really, really sorry for you. Poor baby.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-03-13, 15:24

Fetal Position! Fetal Position!

http://www.throwup.com/choco_fries.htm
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-13, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I just remembered what it is called.

Giardia.
On a field trip to a nearby lake, we took samples of lake water and looked at it under microscopes.

OH. MY. GOD.

The most appalling creatures were wriggling around in that water - *and* they were busily going about their daily activities of giving birth, procreating, eliminating - right under the microscope lens.

And lots of people drink that water: "Hey, it's a *huge* lake; how 'bad' could the water be?" Urgh.

You'd think stomach acid would 'do in' the little blighters, wouldn'tya? But apparently *not*.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-03-13, 16:10

I am feeling better, thanks all - I've been able to keep down some weak Gatorade and just now a bowl of infant rice cereal with milk. Oh stop laughing, it works great. A thin gruel that is the blandest, most tasteless crap... but it gets something in the stomach. Going to try broth in a while.

Now if I could just stop shivering and shaking... :P
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-03-13, 16:14

You go!

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-13, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
I am feeling better, thanks all - I've been able to keep down some weak Gatorade and just now a bowl of infant rice cereal with milk. Oh stop laughing, it works great.
Hey, I'm not laughing. When I was a kid (age 10), my friend and I got on a Pablum kick. We got addicted to the stuff. Actually, I think it was because we poured about a ton of sugar on it; but it was strangely yummy.
Quote:
A thin gruel that is the blandest, most tasteless crap... but it gets something in the stomach. Going to try broth in a while.
Oh yeah. The broth is great. I lived on nothing but broth for three days.

Quote:
Now if I could just stop shivering and shaking... :P
Hmm. Gee, now *that* sounds more like the flu to me.

Glad you're feeling better though.
SledgeHammer

2006-03-13, 16:32

Got something like that on my honeymoon, back in October. My wife caught it the day we left (two days after the wedding). It lasted a few days for her...then I got it later in the week. Thankfully I only threw up once, but I spent a lot of time in that little tiny bathroom in our cabana. It was not the way I would have chosen to spend my honeymoon, but we managed to have a great time, just the same.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-03-13, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer
It was not the way I would have chosen to spend my honeymoon, but we managed to have a great time, just the same.
So you and your wife are into the nasty stuff, eh?
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-03-13, 18:15

Glad you recovered Kick...

That NYC, it will get you every time...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-13, 19:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball
Ouch. Hope you get better soon! Did you eat something dodgy? Been there too. I caught a gastro thing when I was projectile vomited on from behind in the cinema. Good times!
OMG!

That has to be one of the worst things I've ever heard about in my entire life.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE............ YUCK!!!!!!

Seriously... I've never heard of *ANYone* ever experiencing such a thing.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-03-13, 19:20

The most sick I ever got - in that sort of way - was about 12-18 months ago, I believe. I got take-out from Outback, including a Caesar salad. It tasted great, as always, but about three hours later, lying in bed, I noticed how weird I felt. Tingling all over, everything hurt, I was quivering uncontrollably.

I have never vomited so much - or so violently - in my entire life. I thought my eyes were going to come popping out. The weirdest cramping/squirming sensation I've ever felt. This went on from about 11pm until 4am.

At 2:30am I was literally whimpering in my bed, tears coming out of my eyes. My SPINE felt like it was rotating inside my back, all the way to my butt. I couldn't focus my eyes and it felt like I'd swallowed a box of carpet tacks and washed it down with battery acid...my stomach was doing things - and making noises - I've not heard before OR since. And my teeth were chattering like crazy. I couldn't stop. I was biting a towel and thought I was going to chew through it.

"Oh, please stop hurting...please?!? BLBAACCCHHGGHHHHHH!

I'm sure I nearly died. At the time, I was kinda thinking "it would be a relief, honestly. Take me now...I've lived a pretty good, full life!"

I've had the same meal quite a few times since, with no bad effects.

I think it was that dressing for the Caesar salad. That's what...well, never mind.

About the only time - other than my ankle break - that I've truly been at the mercy of pain and my body saying "screw you, pal...you ain't gettin' out of this one easy".

A scary, weird feeling...when you can't do ANYTHING but just lie there and hurt and feel sick, and you can't control things from shaking/quivering.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-03-13, 19:39

The sickest I ever was, besides Epstein-Barr Hepatitis, was food poisoning with some bad turkey I had at a deli in Philadelphia. I knew something was wrong with it, but I ate it, because I was hungry... Very hungry... Unfortunately, based on the shear bulk of material that sat in my stomach for the next two days churning, none of it entered my intestine...