User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Talk
Page 51 of 68 First Previous 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55  Next Last Thread Tools
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-03-20, 19:34

My uncle has a matte black MB G Wagon AMG. That thing is pretty awesome tbh.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-03-20, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
My uncle has a matte black MB G Wagon AMG. That thing is pretty awesome tbh.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0D5S...Red_Hill_South

Oh yeah, the G Wagon was amazing.

There’s a photo from the day. If anybody can work out how to embed that, please let me know!

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-03-21, 00:27

I fuck with him all the time asking when he's going to be going on safari's through Africa. They have Tesla's, Range Rovers, Mercedes, ect. It's fun playing over there.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-07, 08:25

<bump>
Is this our main thread for cars?

If so, I:

- think the new Honda Civic hatchback looks pretty sharp but wish there was a coupe
- have had the hots for the new Bronco since it was a rumor
- feel that Ford is making a lot of smart moves
- believe that Tesla finally has a fight on it's hands from the bigs
- am surprised to be considering a Ford Ranger for my next car
- will probably end up with another Accord

If not, please move my comments to the correct thread.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-07, 08:46

I will forever miss not having the opportunity to own/drive a Saturn Sky. I was on my second Saturn and my third car would’ve been another Saturn (nothing but satisfaction, since 1994), but I would’ve gone the two-seater sporty route on that third go around. Them going away kinda threw a wrench in those plans.

I’m not a car guy, so I have no genuine, deep interest in the high-end, sporty/luxury stuff. I just wanted my Sky. In metallic copper or burnt pumpkin.

My MILF-y neighbor had a grey Sky and it was all the push I needed to strike up a conversation.

“This dude must be gay as hell because all he ever talks to me about is my car…”
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-07, 10:49

I know there's another car thread someplace, but I can't seem to find it. No matter. Continue on. If I locate it (or someone else does) I'll just merge them.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2021-07-07, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
- think the new Honda Civic hatchback looks pretty sharp but wish there was a coupe
Wouldn't that be the honda insight coupe?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-07-07, 16:52

Quote:
am surprised to be considering a Ford Ranger for my next car
Not nearly as surprised as I am, considering an F-150 electric for my next car.

I think we've hit the tipping point for EVs. Finally.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-07-07, 20:51

Quote:
I got a VW Golf two years ago, and I really love the "hot hatch" design. Very peppy and maneuverable, fun to drive (before you look at the dash and see the MPG plummeting), and the hatch access really is fantastic for loading up groceries and such.

I briefly considering a Civic hatchback at the time, but the Civic felt bulky (its hatch design is barely different from the coupe/sedan), and the Golf's interior and infotainment system felt a lot more modern to me. I also considered a Mazda, but their interior tech was definitely outdated at the time.

Unfortunately, I've barely put any mileage on it since I got it. Just 2k miles in all of the last calendar year, of which I'm keenly aware now that it's nagging me for its annual oil change. Normally 10k is a "light" year of driving for me, but I only get out to the grocery stores since covid-19 took hold.

Before this Golf, I was driving the same Saturn SL2 that I'd had since 2000. I put 19 years of great driving on that thing before the costs of its growing electrical and mechanical failures (and the time I put into investigating and repairing) became just too darn much to tolerate. I can't remember the final odometer reading before I traded it in for a couple hundred bucks. Somewhere in the 200k ballbark.

I don't know if I'll still be driving this Golf in 17 more years. Hopefully by then I'll be in the market for an electric car.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2021-07-07, 21:10

I was forced into looking for a new vehicle a couple of weeks ago (RIP Tribeca, I loved thee), and when in the hell did used cars get so expensive? I was poking around spring of last year and things weren't nearly so pricey, but holy damn they went up this year. Almost made me consider leasing again.

So it goes.
Quagmire
meh

2021-07-07, 21:15

Necro a thread where the car thread was on the bottom of page 1.....

Speaking of Tesla...... Sold my Camaro SS and picked up a Model 3 Long Range last month. Love it.

giggity
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-07-07, 21:28

Used car prices have been insane since last summer, since many brands are short on new vehicles. Not that I'd know it, I swear half the people on the block got new vehicles last summer.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-07, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I know there's another car thread someplace, but I can't seem to find it. No matter. Continue on. If I locate it (or someone else does) I'll just merge them.
Thanks to Quagmire for digging it up. That "Cars" thread has been folded into this one.

Jabber on.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-07, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Necro a thread where the car thread was on the bottom of page 1.....

Speaking of Tesla...... Sold my Camaro SS and picked up a Model 3 Long Range last month. Love it.
How far will that thing go?
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-07-07, 23:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Used car prices have been insane since last summer, since many brands are short on new vehicles. Not that I'd know it, I swear half the people on the block got new vehicles last summer.
We bought a brand 2021 RAV4 Hybrid last October.

Got really lucky in that it was the color, trim, and had all the upgrades we wanted. Added bonus was that the dealer had accidentally listed it an an incorrect price (~$2000 lower, IIRC) and they actually honored it. Fast forward to a month ago and a friend was looking for the same car used, anything from 2019-2021. Ended up getting a 2020 RAV4 with ~20K miles on it for the same price we paid, and the dealer wouldn't budge at all. On the plus side, Carmax bought his older 2017 Prius with 40K for $18K...which he originally paid $19K. Weird af market.

Ended up going on our longest roadtrip yet over the past week (SF -> Portland) and it was honestly pretty pleasant doing the drive, aside from a slight detour because of road closures due to the Salt Fire. The RAV4 is a lot more comfortable & smooth riding than the 1990 Acura Integra I used to drive back & forth between Minneapolis and Austin, TX .

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-08, 00:28

LOL see?? I knew there was a cars thread!

One of the benefits of having reduced our mileage last year was that the lives of our older vehicles were extended, allowing (some of) us to wait out a buying cycle and get fresher tech.

Quagmire
meh

2021-07-08, 06:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
That they have been. Only reason why I sold Camaro to pick up the Tesla. Back in November, the resale value of my Camaro was $23,000. When I sold it in April to Carmax, they gave me $37,000. I got it for $41,000 back in 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
How far will that thing go?
Rated range is 353 miles. But Tesla exploits every way to squeeze range out of the EPA test and is highly optimistic. I expect if I was to go 100 to 0%, I would probably get 310 miles or so. Though so far on my daily commute( mix of city and highway) I have been achieving the wh/mi necessary to hit 353 miles( the EPA rated wh/mi for 353 miles is around 233 and I have been averaging 229). Though naturally will expect that wh/mi to increase in colder temps.

giggity

Last edited by Quagmire : 2021-07-08 at 07:06.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-08, 07:21

For those of us who still only drive ICE (internal combustion engines) vehicles instead of EV (electric vehicles) the abbreviation wh/mi means watt-hours/mile; a bafflingly opaque measurement at this point, for me.

Quagmire
meh

2021-07-08, 07:43

Quote:
For those of us who still only drive ICE (internal combustion engines) vehicles instead of EV (electric vehicles) the abbreviation wh/mi means watt-hours/mile; a bafflingly opaque measurement at this point, for me.

It confuses me at first too. But actually makes calculating theoretical range easy. My Model 3 got an upgraded 82 kWh battery pack. Convert it to wh is 82000. Divide 82000 by 229 wh/mi gets me 358 miles of range in theory. Now looks like Tesla only allows 79 kWh as usable so I would only achieve 344 miles of range with 79,000 divided by 229.

giggity
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-07-08, 09:19

Hopefully some actual affordable EVs with 400 mile range come out in the next 5 years. By affordable, I mean under $30k Cdn - know they are cheaper in the US already - that will be the real tipping point for the transition. The base model EVs are still $40-50k here. There are government incentives, but you have to want to pay full price to get it. Kind of a, give rich people a tax break on their already massive tax break. Right now they are still on the high side for that. I’d also like to wait till EVs move to solid state batteries.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-08, 12:35

Hybrids seem to be the best of both worlds, but I loathe hearing my car crank up every time the light changes and I put my foot on the accelerator. Still, Ford's new Maverick hybrid seems like a goldmine.

Edit: I rented a hybrid once while a car was in the shop. I do not own one.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2021-07-08, 12:49

Quote:
Hybrids seem to be the best of both worlds, but I loathe hearing my car crank up every time the light changes and I put my foot on the accelerator. Still, Ford's new Maverick hybrid seems like a goldmine.

I was looking at the new compact “trucks” coming out next year in the Hyundai Santa Cruz and the Ford Maverick. The crappy mileage on the Santa Cruz and the hybrid drivetrain on the Maverick seems to definitely put me in the market for the latter. I agree with Drew in that Ford likely will make killing on it combined with the electric F-150.

Can’t go full EV as the public architecture for charging in Maine really is not dense enough and I rent without an easy charging option at home.

I will still keep my LS4 Grand Prix for when I want to go petrohead zoomy.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-07-08, 14:32

I've been trying to get a 2022 GMC Sierra Denali truck on order and they don't even know if they are going to release a 2022 this year now. I put a deposit down about a month and a half ago and the dealership still doesn't even have the option to build one. Word is the release might be pushed back til July 2022 now. Annoying.

@yontsey
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-08, 14:58

Quote:
Still, Ford's new Maverick hybrid seems like a goldmine.
$40,000 is a very good starting price for a town truck. Still, that they show it towing an Airstream trailer is flat-out funny. If it can pull that trailer 50 miles up into the mountains, then I'll be surprised as hell. But, then how are you going to get home?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-07-08, 15:06

Quote:

Been a hybrid owner for 5 years or so. It’s not bad, but it’s not an EV. The less money I give to gas companies the better. That and locally we pay 65 cents a liter in various forms of tax.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-24, 23:26

Just spewing out thoughts on vehicles right now. Feel free to ignore my ramblings, unless you have some experience in this area.

Looking at this thread now kind of makes me sad, why? I should be excited about the prospect of a newer vehicle, but somehow I’m not. Due to changes in the business, I’m looking to buy a horrible gas guzzling mid size truck of all things. Some might think that’s great, trucks are all the rage now, but I’m sad kind of sad though. I love cars, I really do. I’ve always driven a car for that reason. Going from a vehicle that gets 39MPG city/35MPH HWY to possibly one that gets 13-14MPG city and 12-13MPG HWY makes me a little sad. I wanted my next vehicle to be at the very least another hybrid, but hybrid/full electric trucks are just not in the budget in the foreseeable future.

Right now I’m looking at a Tacoma, because let’s face it, they are built very well and last a long time. My business partner has an F-150, and other than the engine the thing is, not so great after 8 years. Not even on my raider. One might say the Ranger is possible, similar to a Tacoma, but the thing has a turbo, turbos equal expensive repairs when it, not if, it goes. The build quality of the F-150 lingers in my mind too. Honda for a truck? lol, no. Nissan Frontier? Brand new platform, too many unknowns. RAM 1500? Cheaper option, but cheap for a reason? Chevy? I don’t know anyone that has one to know what that experience is like.

I test drove a Tacoma TRD Sport today, it drove like the big thing that it is. The V6 power is way more than I’m used to, the shifting is nothing like the ECVT of my Camry hybrid, which is smooth like butter. I have to remind myself not to push the gas so hard, driving like that would burn a hole in my wallet. The Tacoma has noticeable shift points, kind of forgot what the felt like after 5 years of hybrid driving. The truck has what I need for work, which is nice, but that’s about all I can say about it. It has most of the wiz-bang stuff modern vehicles have, love the backup camera.

Okay rambling over.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-09-25, 09:16

You could try a horrible gas guzzling van. I see plenty of them on job sites. Usually you can get a cheap used one and just run it into the ground/abuse it until it dies. Keep the car for your driving pleasure?

Seriously. I’ve seen some that look like they’re burning equal parts oil and gas, and smell like it, but they still run.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-25, 10:21

Recently sold my beloved 2001 Saturn SC1 coupe. I bought it in Oceanside, CA in April 2001 and drove it until this past spring (if you think I keep Macs and iPhones a long time... ). But I found a Saturn enthusiast and I came across a great deal on a pre-owned Toyota Solara (black, tan convertible roof, tan leather(?) interior, automatic, good MPG, roomy trunk, great condition, etc.).

So, for the first time since 1994, I'm no longer a Saturn guy (owned two, from 1994-2001 and then 2001-2021...pretty damn good testament on that second one).

I've only ever owned/driven 5-speeds, and I've always said "no more...my next car, whatever it is, will be an automatic". I'm glad I know how to shift gears (which means I can drive anything I come across, an emergency, etc. But I love going down the road and able to sip a beverage or nibble on a Kit-Kat with a free right hand). And as much construction and surface-street congestion as I encounter in this town, the constant stop/starting and slow-downs are a lot easier to deal with without all the endless manual gear-shifting. I like just dealing with a gas and brake pedal. At this point, that's about all I want to have to think about.

And I'm keeping the Toyota sticker-free (I've always put a white Apple logo sticker in the lower center of my rear window, but that seemed to mean more 15-20 years ago before they went and got all legit/mainstream. I may as well put an IBM or Coca-Cola sticker on my car, right? Who doesn't own an Apple product at this point? Hardly the same as owning one in 2002-2003 (and the feeling that went with it at that time).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-25 at 10:38.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-09-25, 10:30

I've owned 3 GMC Sierras and have had nothing but great experiences. I've been trying to get a new Denali for the last 6 months but no luck on that. Was going to build one but they weren't available. Now that you can, they are incredibly stripped down compared to what they should be so I'm not going to go drop $80k on something I'm Luke warm on. I'm hoping to snag one next summer when the 2023s are available. I highly recommend them. For the most part, all of these trucks anymore are very good options. They will all have their issues but they're all very well built anymore. it's not like vehicles back in the day. Just go with whatever you like the best. For what it's worth, I get around 17-18mpg combined in my truck.

@yontsey
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-26, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
You could try a horrible gas guzzling van. I see plenty of them on job sites. Usually you can get a cheap used one and just run it into the ground/abuse it until it dies. Keep the car for your driving pleasure?

Seriously. I’ve seen some that look like they’re burning equal parts oil and gas, and smell like it, but they still run.
I considered a van at one point, but I don’t think it would work for me. I think I might just pass on the truck altogether. At this point buying a just gas powered car is such a poor choice IMO. Lease? Sure, buy no. I’ve talked with other people I know and I might get a RAV4 Hybrid. I can get excited about that. I can put some of stuff I need in there, maybe tow a small utility trailer for anything else.