User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")
Page 3 of 33 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-05-05, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
wtf happy town?
Good question. I'm giving it a chance because I don't know what the hell it's really about yet. Maybe nothing.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-05-05, 22:27

it is a better cast version of Twin Peaks but written too poorly and with too much evident mysticism that it just comes out shit brown.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-05-05, 22:33

It's a cross between that and American Gothic. And yeah, not as good as either. So far, anyway. I was surprised to see Sam Neil, though.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2010-05-18, 11:36

Heroes is dead. Somebody save the cheerleader.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-05-18, 17:25

Wow. I can't say I'm surprised, I was pretty pissed off by the last season of Heroes. Mostly I'm pissed off because it had so much potential but was completely wasted after the first season.

Bad Heroes! Stop sucking! Bad!

I'd rather watch Fringe or Leverage any day. Luckily for me, those two are still on the air.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-05-18, 17:37

About time someone took pity on that crap show and put it out of its misery.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-05-18, 17:46

NBC is cleaning house. They also yanked the plug on "Law & Order", which had been on the air for 78 years now.

As for "Heroes", I never watched it. That, "Lost" and a few other shows that came around five or so years ago and took off real big ("Desperate Housewives", "House", "Grey's Whiny Anatomy", etc.). Everyone's a doctor or having something weird and freaky happen to them (they can fly, talk with ghosts, get a cell signal anywhere at a moment's notice, etc.).

At this point, I'm pretty much down to "Deadliest Catch", "Justified", "Jeopardy!", "Mythbusters" and the opening 4-5 minutes of "CSI: Miami". And I'm not 100% committed to any of them, so...

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-05-18, 18:10

NBC has a bunch of new shows for next fall (click link for trailers), including Law and Order: Los Angeles (no, not kidding). The ones that I will probably give a chance are "The Event" and "The Cape".
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-05-18, 18:11

I'd say the first season of Heroes was worth watching. It had a much tighter story than the other seasons which were vague and just sort of wandered around doing nothing. I mean Sylar was an amazing villain, too bad they screwed that up too by flip flopping him back and forth between good and evil pretty much constantly.

House is still good IMO. Great supporting cast and great writing, but Hugh Laurie is just riveting. They're doing a good job exploring his issues this season and last, too.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-05-18, 22:10

The opening sequence on tonight's "Justified" was awesome!

I could watch Raylan and Boyd go back-and-forth for days. Great exchange here.

"Dear Lord..."

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-05-18, 22:15

This is like the 4th or 5th week in a row I've forgotten to watch Justified after Lost. Damn you Lost for being so all-consuming!
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-05-18, 22:21

The House season finale last night was excellent. LOVED the ending.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-05-18, 22:22

Ezkcdude, they play them back-to-back, two -in-a-row...at 10:00pm (ET, anyway), and then an "encore" showing immediately after at 11:00 ("The Shield" did this as well).

So pop your TV on...you can still catch the final 40 minutes.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2010-05-18 at 22:37.
faramirtook
A for effort.

2010-05-18, 23:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
FINALLY. I loved the parallel to last season's finale (minus hallucinations.)
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-05-18, 23:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
I just watched it, and yeah, it was excellent and very powerful. I will admit to fast forwarding through a few little bits though. I started getting a little queasy at a few points.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2010-05-19, 06:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
I'd say the first season of Heroes was worth watching. It had a much tighter story than the other seasons which were vague and just sort of wandered around doing nothing. I mean Sylar was an amazing villain, too bad they screwed that up too by flip flopping him back and forth between good and evil pretty much constantly.
Exactly. They could have kept Sylar as the chief bad guy who built his own squad.
Or created another compelling league of enemies to fight.

Who wants to watch humanity's supposedly greatest new heroes fight a bunch of goons in a travelling carnival?

Last edited by Frank777 : 2010-05-19 at 15:59.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-05-19, 15:53

The sad part is that Quinto was so good in that role that he made the "good" Sylar likable - even funny. It just didn't make any sense that he was suddenly good. And there were so many loose ends that never got resolved, and they never even attempted to resolve them.

Just frustrating because the tone of the first season was so spot-on and focused. Meh.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-05-20, 18:58

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-05-20, 19:09

Who's Claire? The cheerleader? Hayden Panettiere?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2010-05-20, 19:13

Yeah.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-05-20, 19:43

Needs moar yellow.
Eugene
careful with axes

2010-05-20, 20:12

Too bad about FlashForward. It was going to be impossible to make a series out of it anyway. And then V gets renewed by ABC...weird. The finale was okay I guess, but the only reason this show is interesting is because omg-aliens and zero dependence on plausible storylines.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-05-20, 20:38

All I want to know is when are Dexter and Mad Men coming back on? Hurry up!!!

Edit: Well, according to Wikipedia, Dexter's not on again until September. And Mad Men comes back July 25.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-05-20, 20:42

Quote:
wtf happy town?
Apparently. It's been canned after three episodes. Ouch.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-05-20, 21:22

I predicted to a labmate it would last two episodes... apparently i was a little too harsh in my criticism...
tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-05-20, 21:37

Quote:
I predicted to a labmate it would last two episodes... apparently i was a little too harsh in my criticism...
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2010-05-20, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
I made it through 20 minutes before the over-dramatic acting did it in for me. Too many other shows that I can watch to bother with a low-rent Twin Peaks (like, I dunno, Twin Peaks).

Guess our wishes don't do dishes or brake repairs...
Twitter | Flickr | last.fm | PSN: TheLittleDoctor
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2010-05-22, 03:47

I remember when Weeds first came out here, I got really into it, but then it was cancelled. Reading this thread reminded me of its existence, and I've spent a while catching up to Season 3 but have paused due to some other commitments. I had forgotten how much I liked Weeds. I'm not even sure what exactly I like about it - everything I think. Plus Nancy's pretty good looking. Ahem.

Actually, thanks to this thread, I also started watching Breaking Bad which I really, really like as well. It's not broadcast over here as far as I know, so I've been watching it on the internet (and eating away at my data cap all the while), but it makes a nice change from a lot of the crap that's on broadcast TV here.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-05-23, 18:11

The Good Guys. Did anybody see the season premiere? Starring Bradley Whitford (Josh Lyman on "The West Wing") and Colin Hanks (son of Tom).

I gotta say, I really liked it. It's sort of the overused buddy cop show thing with one young, straight out of the academy by-the-books noob, and his partner the older grizzled cop with a drinking/drugs/whatever problem who is out of touch with modern times and only wants to keep reliving his glory days.

The thing is that's all very intentional and it doesn't take itself seriously at all. If anything it exaggerates the stereotypes for comedic effect. There's some great writing, it really made me laugh a couple times, and Whitford and Hanks' chemistry is already proving to be really good IMO.

I mean come on, there was a scene with the two of them in an 80s Trans Am with AC/DC playing as they chased a bad guy. It was awesome. Whitford's comic timing is better than Hanks', but he's not bad at all.

To me this seems like one of those shows where they got the tone of the show just right, and they have the dialogue and acting to back it up. I mean there were a number of awesome over the top gunfight scenes which is just what you'd expect from something like this.

In one scene, Hanks bursts into a room and fires both his guns till they're empty. The scene switches to his target who is not only right in front of him, but completely unhurt, and you can see bullet holes in the wall behind him.

Hanks gives that pained expression you always see on Tom Hanks' face, and says "Not one?"

The guy says "It's not as easy as it looks, eh?"

I laughed. I believe I'm a fan and will continue to subscribe to their newsletter.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-06-11, 22:58

Is it just me or are commercials always louder than the actual TV show. I hate this. I think I recall reading something about legislation that would regulate this tactic, but I may be wrong. It drives me nuts.

User formally known as Sh0eWax