User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Burning a DVD...can i add copy protection?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Burning a DVD...can i add copy protection?
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-04-21, 14:34

we wrote a pediatric cardiology book for our residents and will also be giving copies to our doctors and visiting students...it became large as i have many avi files of normal and abnormal heart structures...so it went from a cd to a DVD...
can i, with either my iMac or iBook, add copy protection when i burn these DVDs?? personally i don't care, but the university would like me to add something so the DVD's can be played but not mass copied by someone else....

thanks

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Wraven

2005-04-21, 14:56

g,
I thought DVD Studio Pro could do this (but maybe I am wrong)?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-21, 15:16

I don't think so. Heck, even the movie industry hasn't figured this one out.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-04-21, 15:47

Cool, back when I was a Neonatal Respiratory Therapist I kept trying to get my department to put something like this together (along with normal/abnormal chest and gut xrays) but they never would give me the time to do it.

Good luck on the copy protection. I don't think you will have much luck.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-04-21, 16:09

I don't think your going to be able to find anything.

I'm confused, if it's a book why is there movie stuff? Is it a book that contains accompanying videos?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-21, 21:02

From --> http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/...pro/specs.html

Quote:
Pre-mastering Options
Digital and analog copyright management with CSS and Macrovision (Types 1, 2, 3)
ast3r3x

2005-04-21, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
When have either of those stopped anyone?
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2005-04-21, 22:38

I'd imagine its like WEP. Not great security, but it slows em down, and prevents absolute novices from copying.
mers

2005-04-21, 23:39

Quote:
Digital and analog copyright management with CSS and Macrovision (Types 1, 2, 3)
CSS and Macrovision are pointless if he's not making a DVD movie. From what I gather, he's just making an ISO, which means people can just access what they want as files and copy them off without a care in the world.

thegelding, the only protection you're going to get is on a per file basis. The fact that it's a DVD instead of a CD makes no difference. There are techniques out there to harden DVDs and CDs from making 1:1 copies, but that doesn't prevent people from simply copying the files off the DVD and redistributing them. You're going to have to do this on a per filetype basis.

I don't know what format your book is in ... I'd assume (hope) it's LaTeX. In which case, you can turn it into PDF and see if Adobe Acrobat can apply some sort of protection to it. As for the videos, I don't know. You could try watermarking them individually to trace who leaked what, but that's not going to stop distribution.

In short, you can't prevent people from copying but you can prevent them from reading (through encryption) and trace distributors (through authentication). Just make sure you do this carefully, because it's very easy to have protection hinder your work's legitimate use instead of preventing its illegitimate use.
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2005-04-21, 23:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Not me!
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-04-21, 23:56

very insightful post, mers
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2005-04-22, 00:17

Only DVD presses can add CSS and Macrovision. Your home burner - indeed the blank DVDs themselves - lack the ability to be "protected" with CSS and Macrovision. The DVD SP feature is for adding protection to a master to be sent to a DVD press.

The only way to add "protection" would be to use the Microsoft WMV solution, in which case you'll be tithed by Microsoft and the resulting files will only play on Windows.

And even if you could, would you want to?

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-22, 05:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
I never said they did, g just asked about protection methods.

I didn't realize he wouldn't be able to add this protection without farming out pressing/duplication to another company.
ast3r3x

2005-04-22, 06:36

Quote:
I never said they did, g just asked about protection methods.

I didn't realize he wouldn't be able to add this protection without farming out pressing/duplication to another company.
I know I was just saying. I would have suggested the same thing, just because it is really the only type of way to protect a movie, even if it doesn't work well. But since you suggested it, I get to rebuff that and go against your satement

*such an opportunist*

g, the reaosn I was asking earlier is because if you can make the book a pdf, you can protect it...protect it really well, although again, nothing unbreakable.

No good way to protect the movies.

*far out idea*
If all of the people you needed to watch/use the disc had mac, you could do a special cut of OS X that just allowed viewing of that stuff. As in, you have permission to read from the DVD, but not write to any of the computers drives.

If only the use from the DVD had access to the files, they'd hvae to start up off the disc, and then wouldn't be able to do anything else.

I don't know of any other OS's that would allow movie play from a DVD startup. Of course I'm judgeing because every other thing I've seen hasn't progressed past DOS looking type stuff.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2005-04-22, 08:04

You have to store the encryption key somewhere on the disk. A more enterprising student would hunt for it, find it, and use it to crack the movie. And the effort involved in creating such a CD/DVD would be insane in the first place.

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2005-04-22, 09:08

personnally i couldn't care less...

here is the layout (and this is absolutely not the way i would do it, but one of our doctors is writing the text and i am doing the images)

he wrote it in Word....with boxes for drawings, xray images, still frame jpegs and movies in avi format (our lab is all digital so it is easy to get nice clips from our echo studies...)

so people open it as a word file (a freakin huge word file) and read it like that....

we can change it to a PDF file easy enough...but this is seen as a continual work in progress...images will change, parts will be edited and added and such...and that is easier to do for the doctor in word as, though we have acrobat professional, none of us really know how to use it (eeck)...but this is all done on his iMac, so we can convert it to a PDF anytime we want by going to print it and save as a PDF...

i don't care really...i don't think he does either, but his ego is kinda large and having the book copy protected makes it even more "special" i guess...

i shouldn't put it down...the book is actually quite good...we did have a printed version of it and went through a thousand copies...as we ran out we decided to update it and not make anymore printed copies as we really wanted moving images

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-04-22, 10:00

You can lock down word files as well...
not exactly the best solution, but it should work.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-04-22, 13:55

This may be slightly off topic, but I don't really understand what you want the copy protection for. This is training material that is given to colleagues and students, right? Do you charge anything for it? I think you should handle this like other teaching materials, i.e., put a clearly visible copyright notice on it, on every page and printed onto the DVD, and be done with it. If you're afraid that people will use the materials without crediting you, you can make a protected PDF, so at least copy&paste will be harder. And if you use Acrobat, you should be able to have the included movies playable (in contrast to just printing the file into a PDF, as you suggested).

I can understand that the university wants to keep some control, but then they should ask themselves how they control the mass copying of their paper materials. And if they think that these materials are valuable enough, it should be possible to find a publisher that will put it out with some kind of software that will make it even harder to copy parts (but that might be a huge pain to use).

Just my two cents ;)
thegelding
feeling my oats

2005-04-22, 14:18

i agree totally

copywrite notice on dvd, again on book front should be fine

i think they just want to be fancy

g