Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

New Forum... (TS+AN frontpage)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New Forum... (TS+AN frontpage)
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-07-02, 12:32

Similar to the News forum way over on .com I think a separate forum to discuss the Articles and Polls on the AN frontpage and Think Secret would be a nice addition. Like .com the articles should be fully duplicated to the forum in the form of a new thread. Would this be possible? Is it under development? Or is it too... ummm whats the word, Kasper-esque?

This would give both the front page more traffic as well as the forums (assuming Nick of TS fame would be down with putting a comment link on each of his articles, and the idea in general)...

so, possible?

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-07-02, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Similar to the News forum way over on .com I think a separate forum to discuss the Articles and Polls on the AN frontpage and Think Secret would be a nice addition. Like .com the articles should be fully duplicated to the forum in the form of a new thread. Would this be possible? Is it under development? Or is it too... ummm whats the word, Kasper-esque?

This would give both the front page more traffic as well as the forums (assuming Nick of TS fame would be down with putting a comment link on each of his articles, and the idea in general)...

so, possible?
Me likey
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-07-03, 10:55

oh, and maybe a link back to think secret on the top left instead of "community" (unless you have some other plan for this button)
while you are messing around up there, it would really be a bit easier if the "forums" link was on the far left and "home" in the middle...
but thats just a personal preference, probably won't really make things any easier...

People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-07-03, 11:34

i thought that community would link to photos of the people here...i know we get those in user profile, but one spot with all the photos with names would be nice

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Spart

2004-07-03, 14:08

I think we should have a link to ThinkSecret somewhere up there regardless...it shouldn't be a one-way street. People might come here from other places — AppleInsider.com, for example — and they wouldn't know without digging up some old threads or looking at where articles in the News forum come from (if that idea even gets implemented) that we are related to ThinkSecret in any way.

And besides, ThinkSecret is, of course, the boss of all rumor sites.

Paul
Veteran Member

2004-07-07, 14:10

so what's the official word on this?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-07-07, 16:26

Bird used to be the word, but then it was Thunderbird, and for awhile it was Grease.
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-10-01, 13:43

I'm going to dig this up again because I really want to comment on the two new articles that Moogs and thegelding have written, but I don't want to start my own thread about them (feels dirty).

Also, now that AI has improved their "news filing" system by sorting stories by forum I really think a ThinkSecret tie-in would be an awesome idea. Each thread would have a prefix like TS: or something similar and could be put into the appropriate forum.

Has anyone talked to Nick about something like this?

thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-10-01, 14:57

whoa i didn't know they'd written stories. funny stuff. gj geld + moogs.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2004-10-01, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak
whoa i didn't know they'd written stories. funny stuff. gj geld + moogs.
For this kind of reason, i don't think the full story should be posted in the forum. Instead the first post can contain a link to the news article in the main site, and the news article can contain a link back to the forum article!

Damn, I am digging myself a hole... You know who going to get asked to look into that!

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-10-01, 17:58

Hey Gargoyle, why don't you take a look at implementing that in Mambo?

And we're going to give a link back to Nick and ThinkSecret. In fact, we've already chosen a place for the link to live. Unfortunately, that space is currently occupied, and we'll have to wait for vacancy. It's not that we don't want to do this, it's that we want to do it right. Currently the only thing really preventing that template update from happening is a nasty JavaScript drop down menu bug that NOBODY seems to want to fix. I've attempted to tackle it several times and have failed.

Lastly, I don't know how Nick would feel about tossing articles into a forum. It's something I will certainly ask him. I'm thinking we would duplicate the intro text, or first paragraph or so, of an article and provide a link back to the full thing. That should keep Nick happy, and encourage people to visit his site, as well as ours when we duplicate the into text to our own articles here.

It will take a Mambo hack, and Gargoyle sounded like he just volunteered

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-10-01, 20:00

By the way, if somebody would like to volunteer tracking down the JavaScript drop down menu problem on the test server, please PM me. It would get the new templates online that much quicker, and everyone that currently has access to the test server has done a wonderful job in avoiding doing any actual work on the bloody templates.

We know it's not a JavaScript problem, it's a CSS or XHTML problem. The JavaScript works just perfectly fine, but the drop down menus are being drawn about 100 pixels lower than they should be, and we don't know what we changed.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower