User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Avie Tevanian leaving Apple

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Avie Tevanian leaving Apple
Bill M

2006-03-28, 01:11

I know this is not why Jobs sold half of his Apple stock, but it's sad to see one of the NeXT generation Apple icons leaving the company:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfga...&entry_id=3821

Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-03-28, 02:28

Jobs didn't sell half his stock. That was shoddy journalism from The Register (but I repeat myself).

Just FYI.
Bill M

2006-03-28, 02:41

That's why I said I know this is not the reason Jobs sold half of his stock; it was for tax purposes, but that's beyond this thread. My comment was meant to be a preemptive strike at those (like The Register) that disseminate biased misinformation. I hope this clears up any misunderstandings.
Paul
Veteran Member

2006-03-28, 10:06

That isn't half of Jobs' stock, it was half of the 10M shares of stock that happened to vest earlier this month (granted that 10M is the majority of Jobs' stock, but he does own other shares)... And it wasn't sold, Apple just kept it and cut the gov't a check. Essentially, this was the share buy-back that analysts have been asking about on the quarterly conference call for years now...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)

Last edited by Paul : 2006-03-28 at 10:16.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-03-28, 10:06

Awful news for Apple.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-03-28, 10:13

Yeah, but helping bring NS and OS X to life must have been an awesome challenge - perhaps one that he feels has gone by and now it is time to move on.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Paul
Veteran Member

2006-03-28, 10:19

As usual, daringfireball has some good commentary on Avie. Take a look at that old article. Avie was great for Apple and did a great job with OS X, but he did make some boneheaded decisions that will hopefully be fixed after he leaves.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-28, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
Awful news for Apple.
Is it necessarily? Don't forget Gruber's analysis from when Avie got his current position.

As much as he appears responsible for many of the "Unix strengths", he seems to be also responsible for much of the Finder suck-age, especially as compared to Mac OS 9.

Also, maybe this opens the doors for a less Mach-esque XNU kernel. Don't forget that Mac OS X is the only major OS to use Mach, and that its advantages may be outweighed by its one big disadvantage, namely performance.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-03-28, 10:40

Gruber is right about most of that (I take slight exception to his Obj-C vs. C++ comment in the old article) but I still think that the loss of Avie is a big net loss for Apple. Gruber is absolutely right about one thing: Avie is an amazingly good project manager and has his prioirties straight if he does have some personal agendas with regard to specific elements.
wecallitfall

2006-03-29, 06:02

isnt that avie the guy from dodgeball?

dodge dive dip duck dodge
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-29, 06:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecallitfall
isnt that avie the guy from dodgeball?

dodge dive dip duck dodge
American Dodgeball Association of America.
wecallitfall

2006-03-29, 06:12

if you can dodge a wrench

you can dodge a ball

boy, i sure took this baby off the rails
coldcuts

2006-03-30, 03:26

where is Avie going? would apple allow him to leave cause i know he is an asset to the company...

Avie why are you leaving?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-30, 03:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldcuts
would apple allow him to leave cause i know he is an asset to the company...
Read the above link to DaringFireball.net for a few not-so-great things Avie did with Mac OS X's development.

That said, there's not necessarily a major reason for his departure. He could simply have decided that he's done with Apple and wuld like to move onward to do other things in life.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.