AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Problems after updating to 10.4.3

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Problems after updating to 10.4.3
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
telekon

2005-11-01, 14:25

Anyone got issues with the following:
I have a 2nd Gen G5 2.0 MP (1.5GB) and since updating to 10.4.3 (permissions fixed etc.) I have noticed..
(i) Safari runs like a pig
(ii) IE is totally useless
(iii) Firefox is very sluggish
(iv) Camino won't launch
(v) The fans now sound like a Boeing 747 when the machine is "idle"..

Any ideas / similar issues?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-01, 14:28

Have you gone through the steps in the Genius Bar FAQ? Cleared cache, etc.?

If anyone is having problems with the 10.4.3 update, please start a thread in the Genius Bar forum about it instead of adding to this thread.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
telekon

2005-11-01, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Have you gone through the steps in the Genius Bar FAQ? Cleared cache, etc.?

If anyone is having problems with the 10.4.3 update, please start a thread in the Genius Bar forum about it instead of adding to this thread.

Yes I've done all the usual maintenance (by the way Onyx still doesn't run) tricks, but to no avail.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-11-01, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by telekon
I have a 2nd Gen G5 2.0 MP (1.5GB) and since updating to 10.4.3 (permissions fixed etc.) I have noticed..
(iv) Camino won't launch

i. It'll do that without a little maintenance.
ii. IE has always been totally useless...this isn't news to anyone here
iii. FireFox has its moments
iv. I've never use Camino
v. Something is eating up your processors, hence the reason why everything on your computer = teh suck right now.

Open Terminal (HD/applications/utilities/terminal) type:
Code:
top -u
That will give you an ordered and real time updated list of what is taking the most processor power in your computer. Chances are that one or more processes is hung for some reason and is sucking up the power of one or both of your processors.

Edit: Just a warning about the next part...if you're unsure of what the offending process does, do not kill it until you are sure. I neglected to add that part in and I don't want you to crash your system because I told you to do something stupid.

Once you've isolated the offending process, or processes (if that indeed was the problem) find the process ID (along the left side) and memorize that number, than hit "q" to take you back to the regular Terminal screen. Now type:
Code:
sudo kill [process ID]
Without the [ ] brackets. It will give you a warning, than prompt you for your password. Type it in and hit return. Type "top" again to be sure the process has been whipped out.

Hopefully that fixes things for you. Best of luck.

Come waste your time with me

Last edited by DMBand0026 : 2005-11-01 at 15:27.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-01, 15:12

Well, you shouldn't just outright sudo kill a process simply because it's using up your CPU. You could crash your system hard if you hit something that needs to be running.

If you find a particular process, post its name here before killing it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-11-01, 15:26

Good point, I suppose I should add that in there. I know enough to mess around with stuff like that in Terminal, I forget that not everyone does.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-11-01, 15:27

Sounds like his Spotlight found a pile of new crap to index, IMO.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-11-01, 15:28

That's also a good possibility. I didn't even think of that. Check the spotlight menu to see if it's indexing.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-01, 15:40

Specifically, mds will be running if it's trying to index a bunch of stuff.

Another possibility is a Dashboard widget gone crazy. If so, you'll see processes called DashboardClient or just DashboardC for short.

faramirtook
A for effort.

2005-11-01, 16:02

My iMac G5's fans went nuts while spotlight was indexing. I think spotlight does something once you reboot, like convert your index to a new format or something.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-11-01, 16:32

I had mds running (using 100% of 1 cpu) for 5 hours on my DP 2.0 G5...before I killed the frigging thing. Thats the only problem I had.
Sargasm

Send a message via AIM to Sargasm  
2005-11-01, 17:18

After I updated to 10.4.3, my MS Word keeps crashing if I minimize or just open another application. Any fixes?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-11-01, 17:53

Which version of word are you using? I have Office X and don't have any issues.
Sargasm

Send a message via AIM to Sargasm  
2005-11-01, 18:08

actually, nix that issue. I cleared my cache, repaired my disk permissions, and now I'm good to go.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-11-01, 18:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by telekon
(iv) Camino won't launch

Possible source: Do you have Quartz 2D Extreme enabled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by An AI thread
safari now is DOGSLOW! Scrolling speed 1 frame per second on my 1.5 GhZ Powerbook. ... PROBLEM SOLVED! I had Quartz 2D Extreme enabled (from 10.4.2). In 10.4.3 it made the Finder go beserk (everything was drawn incorrectly suddenly) and Safari was very slow. Now I turned it off, I noticed everything is fast again (odd, in 10.4.3 with Quartz2d disabled, it is just as fast as with Quartz2d enabled in 10.4.2!)
Source for the quote.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-11-01, 19:35

I was hoping that Safari (or WebKit) would be fixed so that sites like the Tire Rack (tirerack.com), Google maps, and Apple's very own website (especially the support section) wouldn't make Safari eat up CPU cycles and occasionally become completely unresponsive.

Seriously, this is stupid. You should never have trouble browsing Apple's website with Apple's very own web browser.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-11-01, 21:51

Is anyone else having trouble with playing sounds in safari?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-01, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
...Safari eat up CPU cycles and occasionally become completely unresponsive.
That's very odd. The only times I've seen Safari gobble up CPU cycles like that are when there's awful Flash stuff embedded or when there's a misbehaving JavaScript.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Is anyone else having trouble with playing sounds in safari?
Not here. Have a link handy that exhibits this problem?

Paul
Veteran Member

2005-11-01, 23:50

well, http://www.foon.co.uk/farcade/?page=balls
I actually think this is a flash problem... because QT content seems to work ok. (but I still need to check on it)

I'm using flash 8.0 r22

err... well nevermind then... I just restarted safari and now everything is working great...

It seems it was an isolated conflict with an old version of acid search that I forgot I had installed...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-11-02, 00:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
That's very odd. The only times I've seen Safari gobble up CPU cycles like that are when there's awful Flash stuff embedded or when there's a misbehaving JavaScript.
It is odd, and I've begun staying away from some sites where I know this happens. I hate going to google or mapquest for driving directions anymore because it's... well, it's such a pain in the ass. I don't even like browsing around Apple for fear of it happening again.

It doesn't happen very much when Safari is freshly started, though. But, if I've had it running for a long time (at least a couple hours, if not a few days), it's BAD, often occupying at least 80% of the CPU according to Activity Monitor -- I've seen it go as high as 95% for short bursts.

Sloppy Javascript, whatever; this just plain shouldn't be allowed to happen.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-11-02, 02:20

have you checked this to see if it helps?
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-11-02, 02:26

I don't see how it would -- the only file that would seem to have an effect is the one for autofilling forms, and this kind of slowdown happens even when there aren't any forms to autofill -- nor does it happen when some other sites have forms. It dragged pretty bad earlier tonight when I was reading an article at BusinessWeek online, and there wasn't a form of any kind -- I'd click on a blank space on the page and CPU usage shot over 90%.

For the record, this isn't new in 10.4.3 -- it just hasn't been fixed by 10.4.3.
LAmezq3984

2005-11-02, 02:27

I think my Belkin 7 port USB hub is causing problems with the new update. When its plugged in, everything is like "frozen" on screen. I couldn't open folders, the dock wouldn't do the magnification effect. As soon as I unplugged it, things were fine. I went to Belkins page and they don't even have my hub on there, and I know its been out for at least a year. If anyone can help me out with this, I appreciate it, and I will continue to look for some drivers or something for thing.
BenP

2005-11-02, 08:01

My scrollbars still don't redraw properly all the time in Safari.
Steve64_64

Send a message via AIM to Steve64_64 Send a message via Yahoo to Steve64_64  
2005-11-02, 08:36

I'm unable to sync my Palm after the update. I've cleared my cache, repaired permissions, etc. I've tried using both iSync and going through the Palm desktop, no joy.

I haven't seen any issues with Safari mentioned above as of yet, but one other thing that has popped up since the update is going to Sleep and waking up is now erratic: sometimes it goes straight to sleep, other times it goes to sleep, then wakes up immediately (the fans kick back on), but the screen stays black and it will not fully wake up. Only option is to shut it down and restart. On a couple of occasions, its gone to Sleep, but won't wake up. The only way sleep mode is fairly reliable now is to use Sleep under the Apple menu. When using the power button on my monitor to put it to sleep is when all of the problems above begin. This wasn't an issue before the update, I'd been using the power button method for at least a year with no issues.

AWR
Veteran Member

2005-11-03, 04:08

Bumpums.

Steve64_64, any luck with figuring out what went awry with the Palm sync?
BenP

2005-11-03, 11:32

Argh.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-11-03, 12:21

I've had the dodgy scroll bar in Safari since 10.3.0. So nothing new there!
Steve64_64

Send a message via AIM to Steve64_64 Send a message via Yahoo to Steve64_64  
2005-11-03, 12:43

AWR

Nothing new to report just yet. I'm in the office and away from my Mac until later this evening. I'll try again and report any progress.

Steve

Last edited by Steve64_64 : 2005-11-04 at 05:32.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-11-03, 13:09

Seems many people are reporting higher fan activity after the 10.4.3 update. Most posts have been either with DP PMacs or iMac G5s. I myself can make the fans in my iMac go full blast and they will do that, even after doing a restart unless I turn off and unplug it.

Once I unplug and replug it back in, the fans are again controlled by OS X. Oh yes, my iMac is Rev A, so the SMU reset button is on the logic board so unplugging it shouldn't be changing any settings AFAIK.