Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iMac Availabilty.. Wait for retail or order online

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac Availabilty.. Wait for retail or order online
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
HTee

2005-10-20, 22:42

How long do you think it will be before retail stores like CompUsa get the new iMac? The closest apple store to me is about 250 miles away and believe me I wouldn't mind the drive if I was assured I'd be getting a new iMac but that apple store has told me they are getting the iMac on Oct. 25th and in limited quantities. ANYONE KNOW HOW LIMITED? CompUsa seems to be my only option and they have no idea when they are getting it. They just keep telling me it should be soon. Do you all think the fastest way to get my hands on this is by ordering it from Apple with express shipping or waiting on CompUsa to get it? They also told me they'd be getting a very limited quantity. Wouldn't Apple want to stock their Apple retail stores before sending to places like CompUsa? One last thing; the Apple site says 7-10 days before they'll ship it out to you. IS THAT TRUE? I've heard a lot of stories of people saying they'll order something and get it like 2 months later. Please help as this is my first Apple purchase
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-10-20, 23:19

Apple's online store is rather odd. At my local Apple dealer the stock model takes 3-4 weeks to arrive, but a BTO comes in a week and half (for ibook anyway). If you want BTO, the Apple store online or an Apple dealer isn't much different from what I can tell. They all have to order them from Apple, so shipping doesn't change that much unless the company has ordered a bunch of stock models.
fotomaker

2005-10-22, 22:44

I ordered mine from Mac Mall the day after it was announced. I am 8th in line to be shipped on the 25th of Oct. My sales guy told me they had a shipment of 2,000.
Quagmire
meh

2005-10-22, 23:05

I would order online. For some reason, I will never buy a Mac at a store. I don't know why, but I won't. It is also my experience that I have always gotten my Macs pretty fast. Don't know about you though.

giggity
McBain

2005-10-22, 23:28

This past Thursday I ordered the 20" model from Amazon since they have a $150 rebate available. The shipping estimate is for December 20th.

I'm hoping they are being extremely conservative with that date because the rebate request has to be postmarked by 12/8! I need to email them to find out if they will honor the rebate in cases like this.

I typically purchase online. No need to drive when I can get it delivered to my door.
greenleaf

2005-10-22, 23:30

I don't know if this will be as helpful but I just order the new powerbook and had an upgraded hard drive put in, the website said they ship powerbooks in 1-2 days (for non-custom orders, I am assuming) I ordered it on 10/19 and it shipped on 10/22, from shanghai, china and is scheduled to arrive on 10/24. I don't know if this time frame would reflect on the imacs, though. One thing you might check into is seeing if they will hold an imac at the store for you, because of the long drive, they might do it.
zenatek

2005-10-23, 02:01

My local Apple reseller got the new iMacs in stock last Wednesday. So I might purchase one from them on Monday. Why should I wait for shipping when I can buy it locally. They also have the new Powermacs...maybe I will get one of those.
HTee

2005-10-23, 22:35

Anyone know how long it takes for your bank account to get credited once you cancel your online order with Apple? I'm still waiting for CompUsa to get the new iMac and Im thinking it may be in on Tues. or Wed. but I already placed an order on the net. Just wondering how long it would take to get my money back.
vasili

2005-10-24, 09:12

Amazon has great deals on the new iMac. 150 rebate on the new 20' and 125 on the 17'. No tax, free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=pc&n=565098
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=pc&n=565098

I am vert tempted, but I will wait for the intel models, I'm ok with what I have for now.
Mikester

2005-10-24, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain
This past Thursday I ordered the 20" model from Amazon since they have a $150 rebate available. The shipping estimate is for December 20th.

I'm hoping they are being extremely conservative with that date because the rebate request has to be postmarked by 12/8! I need to email them to find out if they will honor the rebate in cases like this.

I typically purchase online. No need to drive when I can get it delivered to my door.
I just wanted to tell of my experiences with Amazon. I wasn't ordering Apple products, but every time I have ordered from Amazon any time around Xmas, the delivery has come later than they predicted. Sometimes it has even come after Xmas (very disappointing). Therefore it doesn't surprise me that they're predicting delivery in 2 months' time. It could take even longer...

"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further" - The Great Gatsby
L'Angelo Misterioso

2005-10-24, 12:58

I ordered an iMac from Amazon and it says to expect delivery January 3-5, 2006. Eek.

I'm hoping they will be getting large shipments this week like everyone else. I'm getting very envious of those who have gotten theirs from Apple already but I think the cost savings from Amazon are worth the wait.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-10-24, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTee
Anyone know how long it takes for your bank account to get credited once you cancel your online order with Apple? I'm still waiting for CompUsa to get the new iMac and Im thinking it may be in on Tues. or Wed. but I already placed an order on the net. Just wondering how long it would take to get my money back.
Apple won't have charged your card at all until they ship the item. So you should get your "money" back right away.
HTee

2005-10-24, 14:12

Sweet... You're right. I guess the charge on my card the day I ordered was just to make sure my debit card was valid. I checked my online bank statement again and the charge was gone. Thanks for the heads up.
vasili

2005-10-24, 15:14

iMac available , St Louis Galleria
L'Angelo Misterioso

2005-10-24, 17:07

i called amazon to question the delivery date and then regrettfully informed me that it is accurate. apparently they are not receiving their first shipment till nov 7 and it is small. based on the size of their shipments and frequency and the massive size of their preorder list they estimate delivery for me for jan 3 to the 5th.

insane.

looks like i may just suck it up and pay more at an apple store.
McBain

2005-10-25, 18:10

Due to the delayed shipments dates from Amazon, I emailed them asking if they would still honor their rebate past the required postmark date. Their response was positive:

Thanks for writing to us at Amazon.com.

We're sorry to hear that you will not be able to send in your mail-in
offer before the postmark date because of the shipping delay.

Due to the circumstances, I have arranged an exception for the
offer. However, you must send in all the necessary paperwork with a
note explaining the reason for the late submission of the offer.

Please save this message. It is possible that your claim to the offer
will initially be denied. If this happens, please select the link at
the end of this message. We will ensure that the appropriate check
is sent to you within 6-8 weeks.

I hope this is a satisfactory solution.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com.

The link at the end of their message went to another customer service form with some of my information pre-populated, so I won't post that here. If you want the rebate and your estimated shipping date is in December or later, I think it would be wise to contact Amazon, so they have your request on file.

The video circuitry/CRT in our current iMac is squeelin' like a pig every time it is turned on, but if it can hold out until late December (or later), I'm going to keep the order with Amazon.
vasili

2005-10-27, 22:58

iMac 17' 1.9 ships froma Amazon in 24Hs. With 125 mail in rebate.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=pc&v=glance
L'Angelo Misterioso

2005-10-27, 23:15

bah. well, that's interesting.

for some reason the 17 inch is plentiful everywhere. Why is the high end model in such short supply? Surely the .1Ghz speedbumped G5s isn't holding it up. It's not like it has any specific feature that is cutting edge and cause for delay
Reid

2005-10-28, 09:46

Well, as of yesterday Amazon was still telling me a ship date of Dec. 28 for a 17" iMac order I'd placed two weeks ago. So I went to the Apple Store and bought one. Instead of the $125 rebate, I got a free printer after rebate... close enough, I guess, though it would have been nice to skip the sales tax.

So, in what is likely my nerdiest act ever, I'm now posting photos of the unpacking... Not actually that much to see, due to the small number of items in the box, but still:

http://homepage.mac.com/dearreid/PhotoAlbum31.html
fotomaker

2005-10-28, 12:00

Thanks for sharing your experience . . . I'm jealous!

I guess I will call Mac Mall and see why I haven't gotten mine yet . . . when I ordered it, they were getting them in on Oct. 25. I keep checking my e-mail to see if there is a shipment notice . . . so now I am beginning to wonder if they even have any. I was 8th in line when I ordered it.

Ok . . . just called them and now they aren't getting any until Nov. 7!

Last edited by fotomaker : 2005-10-28 at 12:06.
HTee

2005-10-28, 22:35

You guys are starting to scare me about the availability of this iMac. My local store still hasn't gotten them. I ordered from Apple Online on Oct. 19. My iMac is suppossed to get shipped out from them no later than Nov. 2 which is this coming Wednesday. Is Apple known to push back this estimated shipping date? Or can I be pretty sure that mine is getting shipped on Nov. 2nd? I dont know how much longer I can wait.
byzantium

2005-10-29, 02:22

Hi HTee, I ordered a custom 17" imac and mine was supposed to ship Nov 3rd, it shipped yesterday. I think it depends on the iMac you ordered - the 20" seems to be taking longer than the 17".

Yonah was the biblical prophet who got swallowed by a whale. Great name Intel!
findgwyn

2005-10-29, 09:25

If anyone living in or near London is desparate for their 20" iMac - the Regent Street store had one left in stock earlier today - after I relieved them of the other one!

I had ordered mine on the online store the day after they were announced and had been messed around and told the iMac had shipped several days ago when it is in fact still sitting in the corner of a warehouse in Shanghai. However they were very helpful and let me cancel by phone this morning.

So now am the proud owner of my first Mac - it is so beautiful! Am just in the process of copying a fairly substantial amount of data from my old PC and can't wait to get started in earnest..!

Oh if anyone is planning to pick one up from London and travel home by tube - make sure you have got strong arms (or bring someone with you who has!)
HTee

2005-11-07, 16:21

Finally Got my iMac 20" today. It's beautiful..
L'Angelo Misterioso

2005-11-07, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
Well, as of yesterday Amazon was still telling me a ship date of Dec. 28 for a 17" iMac order I'd placed two weeks ago. So I went to the Apple Store and bought one. Instead of the $125 rebate, I got a free printer after rebate... close enough, I guess, though it would have been nice to skip the sales tax.

So, in what is likely my nerdiest act ever, I'm now posting photos of the unpacking... Not actually that much to see, due to the small number of items in the box, but still:

http://homepage.mac.com/dearreid/PhotoAlbum31.html

amazon decided to screw everyone who ordered with the free shipping option by putting them at the absolute back of the line no matter when you ordered and is still holding them there. in other words, if you order overnight shipping now, you'll get your imac in a couple days. i called and they said that they are giving preference to those who pay more for shipping since that's "fair". I was like bullshit.

I can't believe them
HTee

2005-11-08, 21:57

So much for getting my new iMac... The display kept going dim on me so Apple has decided to say it was DOA and they are going to send me a new one. NOT UNTIL THEY GET THIS ONE BACK OF COURSE. Here comes another 1 month wait.
fotomaker

2005-11-08, 23:35

Sorry to hear about your new iMac!

I cancelled my order from Mac Mall today. . . the original date was suppose to be Oct. 25 and now they say the 14th of Nov. Originally I was 8th on the list . . . guess that was a joke. When I called yesterday to see why shipment was delayed, she said something about Apple having problems with the display. Looks like you got one of them.

I called the Apple store today and they said they have some in stock. Don't know what I am going to do now.
HTee

2005-11-09, 00:25

Do you think they know about this everywhere? Like what i mean is... I DONT WANT APPLE JUST TO SEND ME ANOTHER iMAC THATS GONNA GO DIM ON ME AGAIN..
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-09, 00:55

What exactly do you mean when you say that the display goes dim?
gsxrboy

2005-11-09, 01:17

Perhaps the energy saving setting is making it go dim after a period of time?