User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

AJAX bugs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AJAX bugs
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-04, 14:01

Fully recognizing the great deal of work Brad and others put into customizations of the forum software, I am, regardless, quite annoyed whenever I run into bugs related to AJAX. They are intermittent and therefore irreproducible, so I can't give any steps of when and how they happen either. I realize that using a pre-release build of WebKit isn't helping matters, and certainly contributes to the lack of reliability, but still, it should be quite possible to submit a simple piece of text to the server.

Long story short, I would appreciate an option to turn off AJAX entirely. It makes things slower, it puts more load on the server, and it is generally less convenient, but it is probably far, far more reliable. Writing a long post only to submit it and have it end up in /dev/null for no apparent reason, and further have it disappear on going back in the browser as well, isn't just a nuisance; it's also truly discouraging. Sure, I could type up the post in an external editor and paste it in here; then, upon failure, simply try and paste it again. But I shouldn't have to do that, and I didn't before AJAX features were rolled out here.

Again, I understand that the amount of work is big as it is. All I ask is an option for me to revert to a simple HTTP POST-based submitting of posts.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-01-04, 14:08

Sorry, but I'd blame your prerelease WebKit build. I can't recall ever seeing AJAX eat a post and I do virtually all of my posting and editing through the inline AJAX controls. Fortunately, I don't use the WebKit nighties for much of my browsing.

If you turn off JavaScript in your browser, that will disable the inline AJAX and use good old fashioned get and post requests. If you want an AppleNova-specific toggle, err, I'll have to look into that.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2007-01-04, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
the WebKit nighties
Tee hee, snicker.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-04, 15:02

Quote:
Sorry, but I'd blame your prerelease WebKit build.
And quite probably rightly so.

Oh well.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-01-04, 15:50

You browse with the nightlies? Why?

I try 'em every once in a while, but they certainly don't sit in my dock....

That said, I can't remember the last time AN ate a post of mine. In fact, I can remember one time when AN took a post of mine I thought I killed!

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-01-04, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
You browse with the nightlies? Why?
He's a software cutter self-mutilator. Such is life on the bleeding edge of technology. The extreme highs are saddled relentlessly with extreme lows.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-01-04, 16:50

FWIW, I believe PithHelmet will let you disable JavaScript for individual sites.
chucker

2007-01-04, 17:23

Quote:
He's a software cutter self-mutilator. Such is life on the bleeding edge of technology. The extreme highs are saddled relentlessly with extreme lows.
So true.