User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

ppc programs on intel macbook

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
ppc programs on intel macbook
warren0728

2006-04-13, 14:19

can i run ppc programs on a intel macbook pro....if so what is the speed loss as a result of (i assume) going through an emulation software. I was thinking of getting a macbook pro but adobe isn't going to have universal software for quite awhile.

thanks,
ww
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-13, 14:26

Yes, you can run just about any Mac OS X software, be it PowerPC-only or Intel-only or Universal, on your new MacBook Pro. Apple's new Intel systems include a "translation" layer (not quite emulation, substantially faster) called Rosetta that will automatically kick in and work for you behind the scenes. You'll literally never know it's any different than any "native" Intel-built app.

Details from the source:
http://www.apple.com/rosetta/

The speed hit should be negligible next to the older PowerBook. The translation does take a speed hit, but since the Intel dual-core chip is faster than the old G4, it's not likely to be an issue.

Note: "Universal Binary" is Apple's name for applications that contain code for both PowerPC and Intel chips. These Universal Binary apps run at fully native speed on both PowerPC and Intel systems. The overwhelming majority of recent releases and upcoming apps for the next several years should be Universal.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
rminkler

2006-04-13, 14:44

Rosetta is slow if you buy a machine with less than 1GB of memory. I recommend 1GB as the minimum if you think you will be using PPC software (through rosetta).