AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Flash video in background...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Flash video in background...
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-08-16, 12:22

When I am watching something in Youtube.com, and I want to have it in a little video in the background, and I surf the web in the foreground, the video goes all juddery. I suppose this is how video RAM is allocated to background applications, but is there not a way to make it run at full speed whilst being in the background?

Thanks.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-09-04, 06:13

Problem seems to have gone now, which i presume was due to an extra 512 of RAM.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-09-04, 09:14

Really? I've seen this problem (mainly in Safari with embedded flash) as well, and I have 1.25 GB of RAM. Then again, I have an "old" G4... do you have an Intel Mac or a G5, by chance?

It only happens, as far as I can tell, when I'm viewing an embedded flash in Safari and I move something else to the foreground. I downloaded the standalone Flash player application (very useful to have) and it runs faster than in Safari and keeps running smoothly in the background. I think it might be just a poor Safari implementation that Apple's never gotten around to fixing (which is pretty common for them).
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-09-04, 09:34

Yeh. Well I like watching youtube stuff on Peekvid, and normally I leave a window in the background and it stutters along when I browse in the foreground, but when I put another 512mb ram in this week, the problem doesnt seem to happen any more, and so I presumed this was the cause (that the system can handle more tasks at once)

Anyway, I aint complaining
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-09-04, 10:05

With me (mac book pro , 2 GB) this still happens.
I've always found this to be more of a feature than a bug. It simply has to do with the fact that threads belonging not to the foremost page recieve a lot lower scheduling priority.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-10-05, 17:47

Although this problem will, apparently, be solved in the next major release of Safari, I have at last found a solution for background video slowdown:

http://pimpmysafari.com/plugins/star-performer

Unfortunately the download site is down so I haven't been able to try it.