User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Photo labs still better than photo printers?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Photo labs still better than photo printers?
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-06-08, 22:55

Been toying with the idea of picking up a portable photo printer. Now I realize these things are pretty cheap, but some of the samples I've seen are pretty good.

But it's been a while since I've gone to a photo lab. What kind of process do they use. Is it basically a high end inkjet or dye sub printer? I guess it's safe to say, the days of using actual chemicals are gone?
Perfecting_Zero

2007-06-08, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
I guess it's safe to say, the days of using actual chemicals are gone?
I use actual chemicals in my darkroom, but that requires a level of commitment, I suppose, which most photographers have been digitally-seduced away from. Sad.

And I am being serious when I suggest befriending -- or, better yet, dating -- photo-lab chicks. I've done both, and the benefits in pricing, turn-around and print quality are significant.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2007-06-09, 02:43

most of my photographer friends feel that the darkroom is dead.
rasmits
rams it

2007-06-09, 03:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosus View Post
most of my photographer friends feel that the darkroom is dead.
It requires much more work and much more time to get a result that really isn't that much better.

I think those who still use darkrooms do it mainly as a hobby.

You had me at asl
SledgeHammer

2007-06-09, 10:11

I assume you're talking about printing your digital photos? I can't speak for all labs, but I worked in an independent 1-hour photo place a few years ago and all the digital pictures we printed were printed on the same hardware as the film photos were printed on. Something like this. It takes either the digital file or a hi-res scan of the negative and then uses lasers to expose photo paper. Definitely a more advanced process than inkjet, and probably longer lasting.
trevo

2007-06-11, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
It takes either the digital file or a hi-res scan of the negative and then uses lasers to expose photo paper.
This method of using LEDs to expose paper will have a much larger colour gamut as well.

Portable photo printers also, in most cases, cost nearly twice as much in prints as going to your local lab. It's always been more expensive to print your own photos, at least in Australia. Portables are made for convenience, nothing more.