Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Late '09 Mac mini
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
zippy
Veteran Member

2009-10-20, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Dear god man, why not just ask for world peace while you're at it?!?

(No clue, but given Notes' normal penchant for not playing well with anyone, including itself, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say "not easily.")
Ok then.

ahem..

I'd like some world peace.
Biggie sized with a Diet Coke please.

Thank You.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-10-20, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post

Can anyone else spot the problem with the stock photo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
I saw that. It kinda makes me chuckle.
???
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-10-20, 16:05

What's that in the background? Why, it's an optical disc!

How ya gonna use it, hotshot?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-10-20, 16:11

Quote:

Same way I do all mine: Rip. Mirror to flash drive. Install where needed at higher speed. *

*Must be the assumption is that you'll have another computer to use the disk in first though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-10-20, 16:11

Quote:

Duh! I'm so stupid.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-10-20, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Duh! I'm so stupid.
Don't feel bad. I didn't see the connection at first either.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-10-20, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Duh! I'm so stupid.
Yeah, it took me a good minute of staring at it too. I guess it just shows how much we still assume that any computer is going to have an optical drive.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-10-20, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
Yeah, it took me a good minute of staring at it too. I guess it just shows how much we still assume that any computer is going to have an optical drive.
For me it wasn't that. I just didn't even think about it being CD. To me it was:
  • Mac Mini w/o Optical Drive
  • Snow Leopard Server

Didn't even think about it being an optical disk.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-10-20, 16:34

Ah, the DVD was purely symbolic. I think I had a bit of that going on too.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-10-20, 16:39

Can you get edu pricing instore? Tprn between getting it shipped and waiting an unknown number of days, or waiting for a Sat and getting it in a store.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-20, 16:45

I could see this mini server being absolutely *huge* with smallish businesses. It does so much for $999!

1TB is *plenty* of space, when you're talking documents. It's not like each employee is going to be storing their lifetime collection of pirated movies on this thing (well, in most cases).
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-20, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Can you get edu pricing instore? Tprn between getting it shipped and waiting an unknown number of days, or waiting for a Sat and getting it in a store.
you should be able to. Just bring a student id
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-10-20, 19:01

Through my college link it's a simple $50 savings only now. Same $50 for my government employee plan too. A better deal on the low-end, but at least it's $50 off. Less than the old percentage base though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2009-10-20, 20:06

Thanks Apple I'm in love all over again.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2009-10-21, 09:28

Forgive my ignorance, I know, it's a lot to forgive, but what's different about "OSX Server" vs plain old OSX?

The Mini's and the latest iMac got me thinking... At some point in the future, a new mini might be the simplest way to "upgrade your iMac" Just use the old iMac as a display and plug in your new 8-core SSD backed Mac mini, presto!

I posted in another thread that it might be cool if the display connector maintains USB/FW connectivity in such a way that you can still run the iMac's optical drive from the docked machine -- useful, both for "upgrading" and for docking future (potentially) drive-less laptop models...

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2009-10-23, 14:42

So, uh, I have a dilemma. I have friend A offering to take me to the Store tomorrow. Bad news is, I won't have a keyboard (which is not 709's fault cause he told me already it would be Monday). BUT it means that if the keyboard arrives before next Saturday, I could use it earlier. OR I could just wait till next Saturday, and probably have a keyboard by then. It would only probably be a couple day's wait, and it would be instant gratification rather than just staring at the sexy box for a week. What would you guys do?

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-10-23, 14:48

Flip a coin.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-23, 15:28

Go ahead and get it, I say. You can unpack it, read the manual, put the stickers somewhere, etc. Then when you get your keyboard, you're set to go...and sometime next week, vs. waiting until next Saturday.

I think "instant gratification" would be getting the mini tomorrow, and having that part already out of the way. Then you're just waiting for a board...

Do you have a basic USB keyboard you can temporarily use until the other arrives? Someone you know doesn't have one in a closet or attached to an underused machine?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-10-23, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
Forgive my ignorance, I know, it's a lot to forgive, but what's different about "OSX Server" vs plain old OSX?
Ships with administrative tools for server applications — web server, mail server, calendar server, etc.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2009-10-23, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Do you have a basic USB keyboard you can temporarily use until the other arrives? Someone you know doesn't have one in a closet or attached to an underused machine?
Nope, ALL my friends have laptops, and the keyboard with my windows desktop is PS/2. (Which I can't believe they were still shipping in '08. Jesus.) But I can be patient. Next week is not that far.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-10-23, 16:24

I'd probably just run to Walmart and buy a piece of shit $5-10 keyboard to use until I got the good one, then just return it or give it to someone afterward.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2009-10-23, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Nope, ALL my friends have laptops, and the keyboard with my windows desktop is PS/2. (Which I can't believe they were still shipping in '08. Jesus.) But I can be patient. Next week is not that far.
What about a PS/2 to USB adapter for your keyboard.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-10-23, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
What about a PS/2 to USB adapter for your keyboard.
Knowing how those things work out, the adapter would probably cost more than a keyboard.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-10-23, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Knowing how those things work out, the adapter would probably cost more than a keyboard.
I was going to say that they don't tend to be very expensive, but you can get USB keyboards for really cheap too. Maybe $20 from Walmart, $5 online.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2009-10-24, 07:12

The State of the Mac mini by macminicoloco.net including take apart pictures.

Just look at all those Minis!

jouster

2009-11-04, 20:45

Quote:
Um, until very recently I had a G4 Cube working in this capacity, 24/7. Hosted all of our email, web, files, music, media, etc, etc. It's not exactly a CPU or GPU intensive set of tasks...
I still do!

Have to say that it's getting a little overmatched. It's 450 MHz and 512 MB (!) running 10.3 (!!) but still... I think I'll do a reinstall and if that doesn't help I'll pick one of the new Minis up.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2009-11-09, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post

Can anyone else spot the problem with the stock photo?
An obsession with remote CD drives... seriously needs a diskimage copier on a firewire drive.
Miko
Veteran Member

2009-11-09, 15:07

I wonder why they didn't bundle Remote Disk with the Mini Server? Seems like a prime use for something that has been proven to work on the MacBook Air. Having to buy the external Superdrive seems silly to me.

Plus if you have multiple Mini servers couldn't they all access the same drive remotely?

Last edited by Miko : 2009-11-09 at 15:18.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-11-09, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko View Post
I wonder why they didn't bundle Remote Disk with the Mini Server?
Hmm? Optical Disc Sharing and the Remote Install Mac OS X utility now come standard with OS X. I've never used it, but AIUI, you simply launch Remote Install Mac OS X on a machine with an optical drive, put the OS X disc in there, then select the Mac mini Server.

Quote:
Plus if you have multiple Minis couldn't they all access the same Drive remotely?
Sure.
Miko
Veteran Member

2009-11-09, 15:25

Ahh I figured.

One would think that they would play something like that up a bit more on the Mini's website. All they say is, if you need to install or burn something consider the external MacBook Air's Super Drive. I know you can't burn using Remote Disk, but how many times are you going to need to burn something from a server?