Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Donald Duck was a What!?!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Donald Duck was a What!?!
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-05-16, 23:06

One of problems with this current War on Terror/Iraq thing is that it isn't resulting in the quality propaganda that WWII spawned. The Nazis had Leni Riefenstahl (sp?) and America had some quality stuff like, "when you ride alone you ride with Hitler" or something along those lines. And of course the cartoon magnates also added a little something. A prof I had for American History told us about some banned Disney/Warner Bros. cartoons from that era and I decided to see if I could dig some up.

I found one called, "Der Fuhrer's Face" that Disney released in '43 or something. And features Donald Duck as a Nazi. Very Odd.

Link to Cartoon

Sorry about the quality, I had to get it down to under 10 megs from the original 80 meg mpeg-1 file I found.

Propaganda ain't what it used to be.

Has anyone come across stuff like this for the current War or does this type of propaganda no longer have a place in world?
hbj

2004-05-17, 01:49

Funny you should bring this up. I just got "On the Front Lines" (part of the Walt Disney Treasures DVD series, amazon link )in the mail, and watched this very short last night. The discs contain this and many other shorts from WWII. Anyone interested in history should pick these up, some very interesting material on these discs.

We don't see this sort of stuff anymore, but propaganda is well and alive still. I doubt the propaganda of today will be enjoyed on DVD (or whatever format we have then) 60 years from now, though. As you said, propaganda ain't what it used to be.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-05-17, 04:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
ROFL, that shit is hilarious. I'd love a higher quality version of it...
eventhorizon

2004-05-17, 04:12

My dad is into these older banned Disney cartoons. I'd love to get a hold of the full size version too.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-05-17, 06:08

I also got a working version of Disney's "Education for Death" which shows how the Nazis effeciently turn happy little German boys into Nazi killing machines. Not nearly as funny. It is really disturbing though. I think a lot of the imagery in it was an inspiration for Pearl Jam's 'Do the Evolution' video.

Apparently there are some good cartoons that Warner Bros. put out during WWII.

These are available sometimes through the usual shady programs. If you guys get find them I'll try setting up a torrent sometime this week.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-05-17, 06:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbj
Funny you should bring this up. I just got "On the Front Lines" (part of the Walt Disney Treasures DVD series, amazon link )in the mail, and watched this very short last night. The discs contain this and many other shorts from WWII. Anyone interested in history should pick these up, some very interesting material on these discs.

We don't see this sort of stuff anymore, but propaganda is well and alive still. I doubt the propaganda of today will be enjoyed on DVD (or whatever format we have then) 60 years from now, though. As you said, propaganda ain't what it used to be.
I'm going to have to get this DVD. I had no idea the US appropriated Disney Studios during the War to make these. I imagine it wouldn't go over well today if the government took over a major studio to produce their propaganda for the War on Terror.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-05-17, 11:26

IIRC, the History channel (and CBC Newsworld) ran a show a few years back called "Ducktators" (also the name of an 8 minute Tex Avery short included in the larger documentary) with quite a few of the WWII cartoon propaganda films from Disney, WB, and others.
from the documentary
from Tex Avery's 8 min classic

Quite racist and politically incorrect by modern standards.

As for modern twists... Archive.org has these results...

and there are plenty of poster sites that have remade classic propaganda posters for the WoT

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2004-05-17 at 11:35. Reason: URL edits
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2004-05-17, 12:16

Wow, that stuff is crazy. Awesomly crazy!
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-05-17, 13:18

How times have changed. Geez.
I'm pretty amazed by all of those.

However, I think Shrek and donkey giving us all lessons on insurgents in Iraq could really drum up more support for the war. Haha.

Come waste your time with me
HOM
The Elder™

2004-05-17, 13:42

There is a VHS tape floating around called "Cartoon go to war" or something like it. It has almost 2 hours of old WWII cartoons in it including The Ducktators. I took a class at college about WWII films and the prof showed this to us one day to compare the quality of propaganda then and now. I was laughing my ass off at almost all of them, but "Popeye nips the Nips" was by far the funniest and most racist.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Wrao
Yarp

2004-05-17, 13:54

My old history teacher had that VHS, we used to watch it from time to time when we had some free time. interesting stuff.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-29, 22:41

Donal Duck was a NAZI?