Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

How does Google Earth work?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How does Google Earth work?
rasmits
rams it

2006-10-16, 20:16

How exactly can it take aerial photos of the Pacific Northwest, for example, without any clouds?
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-10-16, 20:30

It only uses photos from clear days...
rasmits
rams it

2006-10-16, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
It only uses photos from clear days...
Sounds simple enough. Do they have a team of "cloud checkers" or does it do it all on it's own?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-10-16, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
How exactly can it take aerial photos of the Pacific Northwest, for example, without any clouds?
It doesn't. Scroll to Montréal, Ville St. Laurent, and you'll see that there are indeed parts that sadly are covered in thick clouds.
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-10-16, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
Sounds simple enough. Do they have a team of "cloud checkers" or does it do it all on it's own?

They probably use the most recent set of data... which are collected by people who decide when to fly (most likely on clear days), but as chucker noted sometimes the weather is a bitch...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-10-16, 21:14

Yeah... just in case you don't know (assuming you do), the photos aren't in real-time. They're not often even in the same five year span.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-10-16, 22:19

Simple answer: Magic.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-10-16, 22:29

Better answer: Gnomes.

1. Take satellite photos around the world.
2. ???
3. Profit!
rasmits
rams it

2006-10-16, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Yeah... just in case you don't know (assuming you do), the photos aren't in real-time. They're not often even in the same five year span.
I definitely knew that, I just didn't know how they could use satellite imagery without clouds showing up.

Someone mentioned flying though, so are these pictures from a plane?

You had me at asl
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-10-16, 23:34

Yes, they're not from satellites.
THOSE are sweet, sweet machines that require at least a J25.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2006-10-16, 23:42

there planes?
BarracksSi
BANNED

2006-10-17, 00:10

They're awfully high up to be taken from aircraft, considering that you can see aircraft in some areas.
*Joe*

Send a message via AIM to *Joe* Send a message via MSN to *Joe*  
2006-10-17, 05:57

Definetly satelite images, you can see the source of the image in the google earth window. One of them is http://www.terrametrics.com/ and you can read where the source images come from.
The images of the Oceans are sourced directly from NASA.

They source mapping data for the roads and buildings from Europa technologies, and from Navteq.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2006-10-17, 07:07

Users are now able to "build" their own buildings, too, and submit them to Google.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-10-17, 07:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

2. ???
3. Profit!

The recipe seems so simple!! Doh.
autodata
hustlin

2006-10-17, 08:25

It's a combination both satellite imagery and super-high resolution aerial photography.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-10-17, 08:42

Quote:

2. ???
3. Profit!
Yeah, well...step two is apparently going after me. Those gnomes keep appearing out of nowhere in WoW and killing me. Twerpy little bastards.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-10-17, 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
It's a combination both satellite imagery and super-high resolution aerial photography.
Exactly. The images with jet aircraft at altitude are from satellites (you can tell because the shadows of these aircraft are roughly the same size as the aircraft themselves), while the images showing incredible detail (even people) are from aerial photographs (satellites can't see people).

It's a fabulous resource. I never tire of "exploring" world cities and remote little islands.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2006-10-17, 09:59

Quote:

2. ???
3. Profit!
Number 2, obviously: Go back in time and create a best-of-class, easy to use, powerful, Internet search engine and use the photos to make a subsection which shows maps, etc. then simply Go Public and continue to step 3.

Ugh.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-10-17, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
(satellites can't see people)
What year are you living in DG? You could play a Gameboy from a satellite these days.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-10-17, 10:16

Almost, but not quite:

Regarding the KH (Keyhole) US surveillance satellites (from here):

"The black and white images are used by the military and civilian communities. Many of the details about this class of satellites remain classified, but it is known that there are several of these overhead at any given time. They have an imaging resolution of 5-6 inches, which means they can see something 5 inches or larger on the ground. These satellites probably can't read your house number, but they can tell whether there is a bike parked in your driveway."

And remember, that's just the public info. The actual specs are probably much better.

*lol* Check out the name for KH-10. Now we know why Dorian seemingly pulls information out of thin air...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spy_satellite
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-10-17, 11:05

I can't believe it took me this long to post a link to the article on How Google Earth Works at HowStuffWorks.com.

Sheesh.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-10-17, 13:40

True, I should have qualified that statement to exclude spy satellites, which obviously offer much higher resolution than the commercial satellites in operation. which to the best of my knowledge are incapable of resolving objects less that a few metres across.

Resolution is a much misunderstood concept anyway (ask ten Leica fans to define it and you'll get at least five different answers!). A much better method (and indeed the primary scientific method) for describing the quality of an optical system is the Modulation Transfer Function (MTF), which is simply a description of the spatial frequency response of the lens system. So we can say that a lens delivers a certain contrast ratio (in percent) at a given frequency (usually line pairs per mm at the image plane).

Quote:
They have an imaging resolution of 5-6 inches, which means they can see something 5 inches or larger on the ground.
This is a confusing statement. When one talks about resolution one normally refers to the maximum spatial frequency that is transferred with a contrast ratio of at least a defined value (often 20% but this figure is almost arbitrarily chosen). In other words, resolution is generally taken to be how small the line pairs can get before they blur into one grey mess, like so:

But the contrast ratio of any lens drops as spatial frequency increases, so by simply choosing an object with higher contrast in the first place, the resolution is increased (this is why resolution is so useless for describing lens performance). For this reason resolution is often tested at a particularly high object contrast ratio, usually 1000:1. But a person walking down the street, viewed from a satellite's position in space, is far less than 1000 times brighter or darker than the street.

So it's not accurate to say that a satellite that can just about detect an object 5 inches across against a uniform background (representing the object as a blur of just discernable contrast) actually has a resolution of 5 inches. When people think "wow, 5 inches!" they might imagine clear photos of their small dog sleeping in the garden. In reality such a dog would not be remotely identifiable as a dog. In fact, it's very possible that the dog would not even appear as a smudge on the photo, because for all we know they might mean a 5-inch object with a contrast ratio in excess of 1000000:1 (e.g. a spotlight shining upwards) rather than a dog on grass with a contrast ratio of perhaps 10:1.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
autodata
hustlin

2006-10-17, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
True, I should have qualified that statement to exclude spy satellites, which obviously offer much higher resolution than the commercial satellites in operation. which to the best of my knowledge are incapable of resolving objects less that a few metres across.
Actually, DigitalGlobe's QuickBird (one of the main sources of google images) has a b&w resolution of 60-70cm, although the color that google uses is 2.4m.
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-10-17, 14:42

More to the point...

The spy sattelites can see paterns of objects placed five inches apart, but not say two inches apart...