Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Bush commutes Scooter Libby's prison sentence
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-07-02, 18:26

Argh...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/cia_leak_trial

Quote:
Bush's move came hours after a federal appeals panel ruled Libby could not delay his prison term in the CIA leak case. That meant Libby was likely to have to report to prison soon and put new pressure on the president, who had been sidestepping calls by Libby's allies to pardon the former chief of staff to Vice President Dick Cheney.

"I respect the jury's verdict," Bush said in a statement. "But I have concluded that the prison sentence given to Mr. Libby is excessive. Therefore, I am commuting the portion of Mr. Libby's sentence that required him to spend thirty months in prison."
A little disappointing, but I can't exactly say I'm surprised.

World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-07-02, 18:29

So much for being tough on terrorists...

Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-07-02, 19:12

So much for the presidency.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-07-02, 19:26

Hmmm... something stinks....

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-07-02, 20:02

King George V (of the US) does not answer to anyone but the granter of his high and esteemed power, God.

We should not question his wisdom since it is beyond our means to understand the divine origin of his ideas.

digitalprimate

2007-07-02, 20:11

So makes this of GWB a commuter? *sheepish grin*

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2007-07-02, 20:17

So a fine is harsh punishment, but jail time isn't. It shouldn't be allowed to just circumvent what the courts have ruled is an appropriate punishment for willfully leaking classified information.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-07-02, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
King George V (of the US) does not answer to anyone but the granter of his high and esteemed power, God.

We should not question his wisdom since it is beyond our means to understand the divine origin of his ideas.
Thats just an insult to God's intelligance... Bush may not even have the brain power to understand who God is, let alone hear what he has to say.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-07-02, 21:10

What irks me about this is the blatant lying going on. He certainly doesn't think that ANY jail time for perjury is excessive, right? Then why doesn't he just *reduce* the sentence to what he thinks is appropriate? It's just a transparent excuse and I hope there's the same public outcry that Paris' house arrest caused. More even.

I'm not sure why, but I'm thoroughly disgusted by this. Maybe more than any other act of this administration. I just feel like they're thumbing their noses at us.

Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2007-07-02, 21:11

Surprised I am not. Doesn't change the fact that this pisses me off to no end.

Truly a sad day in American politics!

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-07-02, 21:15

This guy is such a disgrace words don't adequately describe it. I mean it doesn't matter that he's GOP. If he was a democrat or independent and did this same thing in the same situation, he's still a disgrace. He has absolutely zero respect for the office or for the people in Washington he has to work with. This was a sentence handed down by a very qualified group and now he does his usual "I don't give a shit; if I don't like it, I'll bend the rules" routine. Same as with all the Homeland Security BS.

Pitiful.

...into the light of a dark black night.

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-07-02, 21:18

but... but... but.... CLINTON pardoned way more people!

Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

2007-07-02, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
but... but... but.... CLINTON pardoned way more people!

QFT!

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-07-02, 21:35

Any pardons on par with Libby... people leaking national security info / putting agents' lives in danger, that sort of thing?

Strangely, Clinton and Bush have some similar buttons they push with people but for different reasons. Some hated Clinton and thought he had no respect for the office because he got a blowjob from an intern... I can see why someone people would think that, if you go by the naive assumption that politicians don't fool around on their wives. But either way, no one compares to Bush when it comes to reckless disregard for the office and the constitution he is supposed to be upholding and protecting.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-07-02, 21:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
"I can't believe I let my son cry while I watched this unfold."
- Torifile, 1 hour into the 2007 WWDC
This is the first time I noticed your sig.

Fooboy

2007-07-02, 22:18

Pardons by President Clinton:

http://www.usdoj.gov/pardon/clintonpardon_grants.htm

The list contains over 450 pardons.

Here are a few:

Quote:
Unlawful distribution of LSD
Bank robbery
Conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute in excess of 1,000 pounds of marijuana,
Conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute cocaine
Bribery of a public official
Possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine
Conspiracy to corruptly solicit and accept money in return for influencing the official acts of a federal district court judge, and to defraud the United States in connection with the performance of lawful government functions; corruptly influencing, obstructing, impeding, and endeavoring to influence, obstruct, and impede the due administration of justice, and aiding and abetting therein; traveling interstate with intent to commit bribery
pffht.

Last edited by Fooboy : 2007-07-02 at 22:38.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-07-02, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
This is the first time I noticed your sig.
I told you man... that was pure genius. I changed it before the keynote was even over. Nice work.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-07-02, 22:33

Foo: pardons in and of themselves are not bad. Who you pardon and what they did, and why you are pardoning them is what matters. Bush did this for damage control and nothing more. It was a scumbag move. Meantime I'll check the list though I am not going to read through 450 names / cases.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-07-02, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooboy View Post
Pardons by President Clinton:

http://www.usdoj.gov/pardon/clintonpardon_grants.htm

The list contains over 450 pardons.

Here are a few:

pffht.
Are you kidding? Are any of those pardons anywhere close to this one in the obvious "thanks for covering my ass" as this one obviously is? Un-fucking-believable.

Fooboy

2007-07-02, 22:41

Quote:
Are you kidding? Are any of those pardons anywhere close to this one in the obvious "thanks for covering my ass" as this one obviously is? Un-fucking-believable.
Hahaha.

OR personally lying to a grand jury.

They are both wrong as far as I'm concerned. I just love the blatant omission of any wrong doing of any liberals. Typical.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-07-02, 22:45

Nobody is saying Clinton didn't make some bad mistakes, we're saying there's nothing in his pardons comparable to Libby. And once published I'll guarantee you GWB will have a bunch of the same kinds of ordinary pardons Clinton has. Look at the dates. Many of those people were sentenced 20 years or more before he took office, with crimes ranging from making false statements to a bank, to mail fraud to trafficking LSD. Probably many of the pardons had to do with failing health or other similar circumstances, and nothing to do with politics.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-07-02, 22:48

Quote:
Hahaha.

OR personally lying to a grand jury.

They are both wrong as far as I'm concerned. I just love the blatant omission of any wrong doing of any liberals. Typical.
Wrong doing? Really? Last I checked presidents have the constitutional authority to pardon. There's no wrong doing there. By the way, I checked and of those 450 pardons not one occurred during the same year as the indictment. Only a handful of them were even indicted during Clinton's presidency and the majority of those were things like mail fraud. Try again.

Fooboy

2007-07-02, 22:50

Quote:
Wrong doing? Really? Last I checked presidents have the constitutional authority to pardon. There's no wrong doing there. By the way, I checked and of those 450 pardons not one occurred during the same year as the indictment. Only a handful of them were even indicted during Clinton's presidency and the majority of those were things like mail fraud. Try again.
Mail Fraud, bank robbery, bribery, cocain and meth distribution ... ya real class acts.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-07-02, 22:53

Quote:
Mail Fraud, bank robbery, bribery, cocain and meth distribution ... ya real class acts.
You're right. That's the same as pardoning someone who's lying to a federal investigator when it's obvious he was covering for Cheney endangering the life of a CIA agent and ruining an ongoing WMD investigation. I concede.

World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-07-02, 22:58

Stop! No lines shall be drawn! Keep this discussion relatively neutral please...

----

I do however wish that we could impeach Bush sooner than later.

Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

2007-07-02, 23:00

Look, Clinton was a moron for lying about a blow job. Should have admitted it asap. He didn't.

That won't change the fact that the Bush crime family is trying to hide the facts of their raping of America to bolster their own bank accounts.

Fooboy, are you really blind to this??

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.

Last edited by Stone Of Love : 2007-07-02 at 23:02. Reason: Please note, my explination is an over simplification of the travisty of the Bush Crime familys agenda

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-07-02, 23:50

lying about a blowjob...and the repubs tried to impeach him for it

lying to out an undercover CIA agent, putting her life and other lives in danger...and bush walks

not even close

but thanks for playing....damn us liberals for not caring about a blowjob...but you better damn the "conservitives" too for not caring about national security

g

ps..anybody remember this:

The President said he would hold accountable anyone involved in the Valerie Plame leak case.

words mean so little to this man

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough

Last edited by thegelding : 2007-07-03 at 00:07.

Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-07-03, 00:47

Ummm, maybe its just me, but lying is lying, thegelding.....

Yeah, I really don't know much about the case, so I don't know if the pardon was right or not, but it seems to me that, any president has a lot of power with the
pardon.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
Stop! No lines shall be drawn! Keep this discussion relatively neutral please...

----

I do however wish that we could impeach Bush sooner than later.
Uhh good job with that one, way to follow your own advice

If you can read this this, please send to an admin, i am blocked and cant post....

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-07-03, 01:20

Oh for Pete's sake. Leave for a few hours and it's Red v. Blue.

Knock it off kids!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-03, 01:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Red v. Blue.

"Did somebody call me?"