AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

"The New AppleTV" (The 2012 Model)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"The New AppleTV" (The 2012 Model)
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2012-03-07, 21:48

Surprised there was so little attention given to this at the keynote and even less love in here!

I guess it's nothing groundbreaking and perhaps Apple's plan is to entrench as many as these devices before negotiating some master deal with content providers (none of whom seem to want to playball with Apple anymore).

I'm not sure if it's worth picking up the new one given my TV is only 720p. Especially when they're clearing out the ATV2 on the refurbished section for $69!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-03-08, 00:06

Yeah, I need to send my mom a link to the clearance one. Personally I'm liking the upgrade but I still don't have a 1080p TV yet either. I like the menu system better too. Just wish they made my personal stuff more important as was with the original AppleTV. But the product changed it's focus so I don't expect to see that again.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2012-03-08, 13:32

My TV is also 720P, so if I were to get one anytime soon, I'd get a refurb of the 2nd gen.

I also have no plans of buying movies on iTunes until they're all available in 1080P, so the point is moot for the moment.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-03-08, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
I also have no plans of buying movies on iTunes until they're all available in 1080P
Note that upgrading existing movies and TV shows purchased in 720p to 1080p appears to be free.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2012-03-08, 14:14

Yeah, i'd say that free 720 to 1080 upgrade announcement might mean I actually order a movie or two from iTunes going forward. Probably doesn't really matter, but it bugged me they were only 720 before.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-03-09, 00:06

I didn't realize that NBA League Pass, MLB.TV, and NHL Game Center are all on the Apple TV. The only reason I keep cable around is for NBA, MLB and NFL games.

Wow, with these three apps I could see myself actually canceling cable in favor of Netflix and AppleTV...

Now if only the NFL deal with DirectTV would expire in favor of moving into the future...

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-03-09, 00:17

Is the 10/100 T-Base Ethernet disappointment? Is it sufficient to stream HD quality video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
The only reason I keep cable around is for NBA, MLB and NFL games.
Damn! I forgot HBO.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2012-03-09, 01:02

check the NBA one. they black out tons of games online.
Wrao
Yarp

2012-03-09, 03:55

I don't have a lot of experience with the old Apple TV, but the couple of times I used it I thought it was a little laggier than I would have expected. Maybe it was the TV? Does anyone have that experience? and if so, is there any indication that the new Apple TV(or maybe just the new software) would be snappier?

That's pretty much the only reservation I have about it, otherwise I'm ready to pick one up as soon as they are available.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-03-09, 03:59

it's only as fast as your network and/or internet.

the interface was and still is a bit more cumbersome than it should be and because a lot of it is content artwork driven there are delays in loading some of the graphics, but overall its pretty responsive and i don't expect the new model to improve upon any of that.

Apple TV's biggest problem is still its interface and Apple's resistance to widespread third party content and/or third party apps.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-03-09, 04:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Apple TV's biggest problem is still its interface and Apple's resistance to widespread third party content and/or third party apps.
Yup. I think it's rather telling that this is the fourth version of the UI. Compare that to, say, the iOS UI, which has only seen continuous refinements, rather than revamps.

Even in this newest UI, there's still no rearranging, removing, or much less adding of icons.
Eugene
careful with axes

2012-03-11, 05:17

MLB.tv blacks out local games and misses the point entirely. I understand there is revenue sharing to be had with the local affiliates, but meh...
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-03-11, 08:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
MLB.tv blacks out local games and misses the point entirely. I understand there is revenue sharing to be had with the local affiliates, but meh...
misses the point entirely?

how? it's perfect for me. It's the best they can do now with the existing deals in place and to protect local affiliate ad revenue.

Your in-market games are available on demand after the games are over. Considering the majority of people still have cable and/or local TV network access it's really not a big deal. It's also perfect if you have moved away from your hometown team's market.

Would it be nice to have in-market games? sure, but it's definitely understandable why they can't provide that at this time.

I'm still amazed MLB doesn't show commercials during the breaks. I'd rather pay less and have commercials during that dead-air.

The biggest annoyance about MLB.TV on Apple TV is that to adhere to Apple's crappy UI and crappy Apple Remote, we miss out on a lot of features available on other platforms.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-03-11, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Even with the "Premium" tier? They claim "home or away feeds."
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2012-03-12, 08:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Even with the "Premium" tier? They claim "home or away feeds."
Yes. That just means that for any given game, you can listen to either the home team's commentators or the away team's. That has nothing to do with where the game is or who can watch it. Remember that MLB.tv is predominantly marketed to sports fans outside their home area.

Also, look out for the little asterisks* scattered all over their pages.

* subject to blackout restrictions
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-03-12, 10:00

I hate the new UI. Why can't I control it entirely from my iPad yet??
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2012-03-12, 12:33

A.f.a.i.k. this has been possible for a long time already with the remote app.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-03-12, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Agreed 100%. Without apps, it's a cool toy. But with apps, it would be a must-have for anyone with one or two devices already in the iEcosystem.

It has to happen eventually. At the end of the day, tv is basically an iPhone with an HDMI out instead of a multitouch display. The infrastructure is already in place for a vibrant tv App Store.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2012-03-24, 11:50

An article on MacRumors claims that Steve Jobs rejected the new UI over 5 years ago, and suggest that now there's 'nobody at Apple that does any quality control'...

Still, the new UI is a bit...updated to say it's an update?

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2012-03-24, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I hate the new UI. Why can't I control it entirely from my iPad yet??
Doesn't the Remote app do this?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-03-24, 11:58

I've been thinking about picking one up for my living room to stream all the DVDs I ripped.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-03-24, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I've been thinking about picking one up for my living room to stream all the DVDs I ripped.
Check to make sure your file types are supported first...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-03-24, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh View Post
Doesn't the Remote app do this?
It does. There is no need to be able to "see" the AppleTV or use the IR remote included. I have two Apple TVs in my house and use the iPhones/iPad to control them all. No need for IR at all.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2012-03-26, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I would love of buy one to stream my movies but unfortunately Apple still deny it the option of serving up media from DNLA devices. So i am using Plex to stream stuff off my NAS, but to be honest i would much prefer to have the simplicity of an Apple TV instead.

I understand the iTunes integration and the likes but i jus think that giving it the option of streaming from other sources wouldn't kill the eco-system and might actually get them into more peoples homes and therefore increase the chances of people buying through iTunes.

OK Rant over.
addabox
Veteran Member

2012-03-26, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
I would love of buy one to stream my movies but unfortunately Apple still deny it the option of serving up media from DNLA devices. So i am using Plex to stream stuff off my NAS, but to be honest i would much prefer to have the simplicity of an Apple TV instead.

I understand the iTunes integration and the likes but i jus think that giving it the option of streaming from other sources wouldn't kill the eco-system and might actually get them into more peoples homes and therefore increase the chances of people buying through iTunes.

OK Rant over.
Surely the number of people interested in doing DNLA streaming from a media server is vanishingly slight compared to the number of people using iTunes?
HHogan

Send a message via AIM to HHogan  
2012-03-29, 00:22

I don't like how everything is icons now on the new UI, the text is cleaner and better IMO.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2012-03-29, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
Surely the number of people interested in doing DNLA streaming from a media server is vanishingly slight compared to the number of people using iTunes?
Well for me, i stream all my music, videos etc to a number of devices, Sonos, PS3, Macs, iPads etc and the only way to cope with such an array of different systems is to use DNLA. Plus i think Plex (which i use for me TV and iOS) is a much better media client for video than AppleTV. For music iTunes still wins hands down, but this way i can stream all my info, without having to leave Mac on all day as i leave a low powered NAS on instead.

I cannot believe that everyone is using iTunes for their video and TV library, the way that Apple needs you to do so for AppleTV. It just seems really inflexible.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-05-10, 21:38

Just picked one of these up earlier this evening and I am loving it so far. I have about 60 DVDs ripped on my Mac mini and streaming them to my living room is awesome. Also the fact that iTunes match works on here too is a great feature. I wish I would've done this sooner.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Eugene
careful with axes

2012-05-10, 22:18

I bought one two days ago. I'll barely ever use it, but at $99 it's a fairly innocuous expense. I suspect it'll see most of its use as an AirPlay audio component. AirPlay Mirroring is also one of the reasons I chose to buy one now, but it still has some kinks. Right now mirroring a 16:9 resolution from my MacBook Air results in black borders on all edges...
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2013-06-19, 17:01

There was a software update. They added the WatchESPN app and the HBO GO app. Both are huge additions IMO.