User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Absurd Separation of Powers at Apple Computer Inc.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
tyguy01234

2005-10-10, 18:58

A letter of complaint I sent to Apple after a wonderfully "different" experience I had with Apple. But did I receive a letter of apology, explanation, or response? No. So now I feel I must share my poor experience such that other consumers can be more cautious, aware, and help change a ridiculous system of operations.
Thank you,
TM

To whom it may concern,
There is a
that needs immediate attention.

I have always been a Windows user but, like many who are tired of the PC-based problems, I made the decision to switch to Apple on Monday Jul 11th. I excitedly purchased everything would need for college. I got a top of the line 15 inch Powerbook, iPod, printer, iSight, and MS Office 2004 - everything and more that I needed for college. I used the simple Apple Online store and everything arrived within five days.
Apples are more costly than PCs, but I was sure that the Apple would be worth it. Fewer software, hardware, and virus issues with an Apple. Top of the line service. No messing with big box retailers when there was a problem – go straight to the source – my local Apple Store.
Almost immediately I had a strange problem: every time I would change my battery profile or when I booted up the machine, my screen would distort for anywhere between 1-6 seconds. Naturally I was very sad to find a problem on my newly purchased Powerbook. I stopped using it for several days until I had time to go to the Apple Store and see what was wrong, hoping that it was just a software issue.
PROBLEM ONE: GLITCH IN SCREEN ON NEWLY OPENED TOP OF THE LINE POWERBOOK.
As I waited in line for a technician at Apple – a “Genius” - I tried to replicate my problem on one of Apple’s display model Powerbooks. The problem did not occur thus ruling out the possibility that it was just a known glitch and function that I would have to live with. This meant that indeed something was wrong with my computer. After explaining and showing the problem to the “Genius”, he informed me that the logic board was damaged and that because it was a new computer it would be considered Dead On Arrival (DOA) and I was entitled to a brand new Powerbook, or a full refund. I opted for a brand new Powerbook – mistakes can happen, even for Apple.
As the “Genius” attempted to process my exchange, he realized that my Powerbook was a top-of-the-line Powerbook with a 100 gig hard drive, and 128 VRAM video card. Ironically because my Powerbook was a top-of-the-line Powerbook, he was unable to refund or exchange my Powerbook.
I inquired as to why a “Genius” at my local Skokie Apple Store would be unable to help me refund or exchange my defective product. The “Genius” tried to explain the unexplainable … that because I ordered my computer at the Online Apple Store and had the hard drive and video card upgraded he was unable to help me in anyway. How can that be I asked, it is an APPLE computer, sold to me BY an Apple Store and here I am at an Apple Store. He admitted the policy was absurd, but replied that all I would have to do is call 1-800-MY-APPLE. He said to tell them that I had gone to an Apple Store and that the logic board was damaged; he then said that they would exchange my Powerbook with ease. “Sorry for the troubles, if you need me to go through the support lines on my off time, or if you need anything else please just ask” as he handed me his card. I thanked him.
To not be able to exchange or refund any defective APPLE product at an Apple store strikes me as completely bizarre. It is as though the Apple Store Online and the Apple Retail Store stores are completely independent companies. I did not pay more for this top-of-the-line Powerbook to get less service. Apple is supposed to be the Rolls Royce, not the lousy, cheap, used car…why don’t their “dealerships” function with a little more accessibility when there is a problem?
PROBLEM TWO: APPLE STORES AND APPLE ON-LINE OPERATE SEPARATELY AND DO NOT FULLY SERVICE EACH OTHER. ISN’T THIS ODD FOR A “LUXURY” PRODUCT? ISN’T THIS SOMETHING ONE WOULD EXPECT FROM A MORE “BASIC” OPERATION?
After the “Genius” understandingly admitted that the Apple return system inhibiting him from being able to help me was ridiculous, I thanked him for his time and help to the best of his ability and proceeded to call 1-800-MY-APPLE as instructed to by the “Genius”. I told the operator that I had gone to a “Genius” and that my logic board was damaged and I needed a replacement Powerbook right away, especially because mine was within the refund grace period. The operator transferred me to another person who I explained my situation to, who then transferred me again and again. After four transfers I finally began to make progress with one of the head refund reps.

PROBLEM THREE: POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 800-MY-APPLE. MULTIPLE TRANSFERS TO VARIOUS CUSTOMER SERVICE REPS.

Regrettably, the progress however was not positive. I had retold my story for the fourth time and all the Apple Rep could do was offer me “You can ship us your Powerbook and we will try and repair it. IF we are unable to repair it we will send you a new one.” This policy made sense if my computer had been used/old and operating under the warranty, however, as it was less than seven days old, I felt that I was entitled to a refund or brand new computer. I told the Apple Rep that I had talked to an Apple “Genius” and he had assured me that I could exchange the computer, not merely settle for a repair. The Apple Rep replied that I must have been misinformed.

PROBLEM FOUR: DOA PRODUCT PURCHASED THROUGH APPLE ON-LINE COULD NOT BE RETURNED FOR NEW PRODUCT – ONLY SENT IN FOR REPAIR. NEW PRODUCT WAS AT APPLE’S DISCRETION.

Angry and confused I hung up and proceeded straight back to what seemed like my local friendly Apple “Genius”. I told him my 1-800-MY-APPLE experience and how I was denied an exchange. “No they are dead wrong, please wait here and we will call for you.” The Apple ““Genius”” was still on my side and all I could do now was wait. After an hour he came back saying that the Old Orchard Apple retail store was going to order my new Powerbook and all I needed to do was come in and exchange my old Powerbook as soon as the new one arrives. I finally got the help I needed not because of Apple but because of this one understanding Genius.

Epilogue:

My new Powerbook was ordered and received. It is working fine – the glitch is gone. Much as I am enjoying my Apple, the shine is gone for me from the Apple company. This entire experience did not need to occur. Apple has done many wonderful things and Apple Stores, in general, are helpful places. The disconnect between Apple On-Line and local retail Apple stores remains inexplicable and backwards to me. I hope that Apple fixes it.

From,
TM

DIGG this article at:
http://digg.com/apple/Absurd_Separat...e_Computer_Inc.

Discuss this article at blog: http://letter2apple.blogspot.com/200...-response.html

THANK YOU,
TM
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-10-10, 19:08

I'm going to leave this ONE of your THREE threads open.

Do NOT spam the boards with multiple posts - doing it again will surely lead to your banning from our forums.

Please take a moment to review our Posting Guidelines:
http://forums.applenova.com/guidelines.html
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-10-10, 19:19

<SNIP> (Alias post no longer exists)

Show some restraint, man.

I've been burned by Apple too and even though my problem took longer than yours, it is not the end of the world.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET

Last edited by Ebby : 2005-10-10 at 20:41.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-10-10, 19:23

And, uh . . . bite me!

You'll get no sympathy here. This is an APPLE USERS FORUM. We like Apple. Go complain on the Dell website, would ya!
¡Damned!

2005-10-10, 19:26

Yeesh. I fucking hate these copy-n-paste spammers.

Thread Post: 19:58
Last Activity: 19:58

Way to stick around for a reply there, asshole.

Oh, and he basically just duplicated his blog post. I hate him.

So it goes.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-10-10, 19:29

hey dude, he had 4 posts. that's better than the free iPod douches.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-10-10, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Yeesh. I fucking hate these copy-n-paste spammers.

Thread Post: 19:58
Last Activity: 19:58

Way to stick around for a reply there, asshole.
I think the dude should be banned, considering he pulled the same crap at AI, and this thread should be locked. I scanned through his garbage and found nothing worthy of his tantrum.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-10-10, 19:30

Did it ever occur to you that the Apple Store didn't have anything but stock-model powerbooks to give you? That there was no way to replace your custom-built model without ordering another custom-built one to replace it?

If anything, you should be very grateful that the Genius was nice enough to put in so much extra effort on your behalf.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-10-10, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Yeah, but all four posts were identical!

Last edited by kscherer : 2005-10-10 at 19:32. Reason: Spelling sucketh!
¡Damned!

2005-10-10, 19:34

Quote:
Well, I saw *2* posts before he decided spread his blog seed everywhere. AI wasn't so lucky, as he just registered to dump his wad (multiple places). Whatever. I just hate this sort of thing. He won't be back for a while I reckon, and if he comes back within the hour to check comments, then he deserves an apology from me.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-10-10, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
Did it ever occur to you that the Apple Store didn't have anything but stock-model powerbooks to give you? That there was no way to replace your custom-built model without ordering another custom-built one to replace it?

If anything, you should be very grateful that the Genius was nice enough to put in so much extra effort on your behalf.
My thoughts exactly. Apparantly, after all your crying, you got the thing replaced, all because of one guy who works for the same company you are now bashing. What a turd!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-10-10, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Well, I saw *2* posts before he decided spread his blog seed everywhere. AI wasn't so lucky, as he just registered to dump his wad (multiple places). Whatever. I just hate this sort of thing. He won't be back for a while I reckon, and if he comes back within the hour to check comments, then he deserves an apology from me.
You can give him one, 409 (). But I won't. WE deserve an apology from HIM. Good grief, he pops three new threads in three different forums, all copy/pasted clones and doesn't even bother to hang for a response? Chickens have bigger nuts!

Edit: And that doesn't even cover the crap he shat over at AI.

atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-10-10, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
dump his wad
Nice word choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer
crap he shat
Same here.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-10-10, 19:42

The only way to hinder these drive-by posters is to remove what they posted. Banning them on the spot is a good idea, but not enough. It's crystal clear that this thread is not about discussion or contribution to content of the forum, it's a rude person running around screaming with a megaphone to anyone within hearing range. They come here, post and leave. If what they posted stays up, it's a win for them.

I guarantee, there won't be one person with >5 post count who will disagree with that policy. I have seen it work on one forum, and as a result for that (right) kind of zero tolerance it was the best forum ever. Sadly it no longer exists.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-10-10, 19:50

¡Damned!

2005-10-10, 19:54

Ahhhh. There it is. I feel much better.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-10-10, 19:58

I forgot to add that you are a pathetic piece of shit.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Thanks in advance for never coming back.
¡Damned!

2005-10-10, 19:59

20:59

[apology nazi]

No sorry for you!!!

[/apology nazi]
madmaxmedia

2005-10-10, 20:00

Quote:
That would've been awesome if at the end of post he had a link to a free iPods...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-10-10, 20:00

I pretty much agree with what all those guys ^ said!

Good night!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-10-10, 20:03

I'd get rid of this thread, but it would remove a healthy outlet for this forum. Without religious or political threads, people don't get much of a chance to poop on people. This allows for that base human need.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-10-10, 20:06

Wow, so this guy set up a blog TODAY and made this single post.

Nothing is more satisfying than seeing "0 comments" at the bottom.

Actually I'm going to remove this guy's stupid links.

EDIT: Wait, maybe I won't. We can go to his blog and do some drive-by rants a la odetosecrets! He'll be so thrilled to get any comments that it'll really fuck with him when he sees they were auto-generated nonsense.

EDIT 2: LOL he has another one-post blog here too! I guess whenever this guy gets something wedged in his ass he feels the need to shit it all over the internet.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-10-10, 20:07

Use one of these next time, you rotting douche.

atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-10-10, 20:08

count me in
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-10-10, 20:08

Dude, leave the links as-is.

Leaving them is more punishment than removing them, believe me.

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-10-10, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
EDIT 2: LOL he has another one-post blog here too! I guess whenever this guy gets something wedged in his ass he feels the need to shit it all over the internet.
And, for the ultimate in irony, his only comment on that post, is SPAM for a "home-based business" website!

¡Damned!

Awwww. In his other blog he thanks a spambot for checking him out.

Now I almost feel bad.

Almost.

[edit]: FFL!
Quagmire
meh

Ok I am going to be "nice" with you. What he meant by not helping you is that he didn't have your specs in stock. But making an ass of yourself and trying to get sympathy from us is very hard to do. Frankly 99% of the people make a fool of themselves. And please don't spam the forums or you will be joining me down here in this hot area under the Earth's crust. Thank You. Your local Dead Man.

giggity
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-10-10, 20:13

Almost fast enough, 709.

Almost.

atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-10-10, 20:15

Come on, ain't nobody else going to leave him a comment?