Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Advice on a Quad

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Advice on a Quad
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2005-10-19, 23:52

Work will be getting a new computer next year around july. I realise this is a bit early, but i was just thinking about a few things. If you just went with the stock standard Quad 2.5ghz can you buy the Memory, Hard Drive, and the Quadro FX 4500 at a later date and install them yourself? I was curious because this may mean we could get it sooner and update as we go along.

Also this allows us to sell of or use the original stuff as well. I figure we could use the 2 x 256 RAM and the Hard Drive as well as a new one, and also sell the GeForce 6600 on Ebay or something later to get a bit more out of the computer and save a bit of money. Is this the way to go? Can it all be done?
Thanks
T
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-10-20, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by trav
If you just went with the stock standard Quad 2.5ghz can you buy the Memory, Hard Drive, and the Quadro FX 4500 at a later date and install them yourself?
Absolutely.

The removable side panel is pretty and functional.

I'd venture to say that most smart shoppers buy third-party RAM anyhow. Although there have been exceptions, Apple is generally know to overcharge for including extra RAM in built-to-order machines.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2005-10-20, 00:10

Awesome. I have been looking around briefly today and can find several places for cheap RAM in Australia. Not really sure about getting the FX 4500 later though. Any advice for that? Is it easy enough to get hold of?

And with regards to hard drives, can i choose ones i want. By the look of other prices Apple doesn't seem to be charging too high on this one. Or is that just cause i haven't looked very hard yet? Anyone with any ideas or experience with places to buy from Australia? Thanks
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-10-20, 00:49

I saw a PC-only Quadro FX4400 on NewEgg for something on the order of $1800. I have no idea where you could buy a Mac FX4500, but Apple might eventually make it available for separate order from their site. They have done the same in the past with their older high-end graphics cards... the GeForce 4Ti, the Radeon 9800 Pro, and the GeForce 6800GT and Ultra have all been available for separate purchase from the Apple Store online. But obviously that is not a guarantee that you'll be able to buy it later.
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2005-10-20, 01:02

Ok thanks Luca. Maybe that's something we have to buy with the initial purchase. Something to consider anyway.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-10-20, 01:21

Just an FYI, right now Apple is selling SIX different graphics cards in their online store:

Radeon 9200 PCI
Radeon 9600 PC/Mac hybrid
Radeon 9800 Mac Special Edition
Radeon X800XT
GeForce 6800GT DDL
GeForce 6600 PCIe

The 6600 PCIe being sold separately is really cool - it means that PowerMac owners can put as many video cards in their system as there are slots. The new PowerMacs have varying PCIe speeds, but all have the same physical size, so putting a video card in a slot other than the primary one will still work and it'll only decrease the speed of the card by a little. So for $200, you can get a second, third, or fourth video card for one of the new PCIe PowerMacs.

No Quadro FX4500 yet though. You might try calling Apple to check if it'll become available later.
¡Damned!

2005-10-20, 01:25

So where is the 7800 they're touting?
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2005-10-20, 05:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
No Quadro FX4500 yet though. You might try calling Apple to check if it'll become available later.

I might have this wrong but the only other option from the 6600 is the quadro fx 4500 on the Australian site. So is that the only option or are they adding others later possibly?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-10-20, 07:24

That's not wrong, it's the same on the American store. I was pointing out which graphics cards were available for separate purchase from Apple. I should also point out that the only PCIe video card you can buy from the Apple store right now is the GeForce 6600. All the rest are AGP, meaning they will not work with the new G5s.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-10-20, 07:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by trav
Awesome. I have been looking around briefly today and can find several places for cheap RAM in Australia.
I can thoroughly recommend epowermac, although you'll need to wait until they start stocking DDR2.