User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Intel Mac Software Issues

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Intel Mac Software Issues
ScottTFrazer

2006-02-25, 16:35

After a whole 5 days of my first Intel Mac, I've found a few pieces of software that I desperately want to have a universal binary. Anyone else finding this to be the case?

My current frustrations are with the Microsoft Mouse drivers (PowerPC only, won't load in the control panel) and a USB driver for the Roland GS-10 Guitar Effects Processor.

The mouse issue I've worked around for the most part with SteerMac, but with the GS-10 driver, I'd imagine I'm pretty much S.O.L.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-25, 16:41

For what do you use the Microsoft Mouse drivers? It should be configurable as any other USB mouse from the regular Keyboard & Mouse panel.

Yeah, drivers are going to be the worst part for early adopters like yourselves. They're one of the few things that actually need to be rewritten to work on both platforms.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-02-25, 17:32

I've been able to make due without my logitech keyboard/mouse combo for a while. I'm itching to get the functionality back, though. In the meantime, you may want to check out USB Overdrive for your mouse. Lots of people like it more than the built-in mouse drivers or over the drivers various hardware companies put out. I'd use it myself, but last I checked it didn't do keyboards.
CD on G5+MBP

2006-03-18, 19:35

ShapeShifter isn't functional on my MBP
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-03-18, 22:33

anyone have any ideas as to when VLC and flip4mac become universal?
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-03-18, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby
anyone have any ideas as to when VLC and flip4mac become universal?
Not sure on flip4mac... VLC 0.8.5-svn sounds like it may have universal binary support. So whenever 0.8.5 gets released.

http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/NEWS

Quote:
Changes between 0.8.4a and 0.8.5-svn (not yet released):
... (some stuff) ...
OS X Port:
* Mac-Intel compatibility
* Enhanced support of various audio output devices
* Growl "Now playing" support
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-03-19, 00:23

There's a VLC nightly with intel support. I haven't used it but it's out there some where.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-03-19, 00:24

You can use flip4mac if you set quicktime to open in rosetta. (Or Safari if you want to play files in your browser.)
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-03-19, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
There's a VLC nightly with intel support. I haven't used it but it's out there some where.
http://nightlies.videolan.org/

StevesMom

2006-03-19, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
I've been using a Universal nightly for ages now, and it's been rock-solid for me. Just don't enable Quartz rendering (it was a bad idea on 0.84a anyway and you should be fine.

Rick: This is bad.
Evelyn: We've had bad before.
Rick: This is worse.
ScottTFrazer

2006-03-19, 21:10

Microsoft has released their v6 Intellimouse drivers as well, and they work on my MBP.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en