AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC Renderings

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC Renderings
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-01-24, 01:21

I peruse the Minecraft subreddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/) and am fascinated by the "renders" that people make of their builds.

Is this something that you can do only if you're a mod?

I'd really love to see some renders of our places.

One of the render effects is "toy camera" - take a look at this rendering.

What places would you guys like to see rendered... from which of our worlds?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-01-25, 18:00

Something perhaps.... like this?

Scary candleteeth!

It's not something you can do in-game, but I might take requests if people are interested. Note, though, that decent-looking shots take a LONG TIME to set up and render. This example of Rexy took ~7 minutes to render after spending another ~20 minutes twiddling around and running a few other test renders to get the settings how I liked them.

Here are a couple of other quick test shots that didn't turn out as well:

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-01-25, 18:49

And here are two more!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-01-26, 00:43

Oh yeah!!!!

Keep 'em coming!!!!

Definitely looks best with some foreground/background going on.

I'm trying to think of places that are super-iconographic for us... I suppose a lot of them are from the previous builds, the previous worlds.

I understand about the render times - you can lose a LOT of time just setting up a shot.

Will let others pop in with their suggestions/requests.

Captain Drew on Twitter
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-01-26, 07:59

you're doing this in blender?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-01-26, 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
you're doing this in blender?
As backwards and goofy as Blender's interface may be (*shakes fist*), it would be nice if this was using chunk exports to Blender because at least the render times should be a lot faster there. Nope, this is using a Java app called Chunky that has implemented its own ray-tracer. That said, it's still a very impressive piece of kit when you consider that it's largely one developer's work.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-01-26, 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Oh yeah!!!!

Keep 'em coming!!!!
OK! But only because Drew asked for them!

Quote:
I'm trying to think of places that are super-iconographic for us... I suppose a lot of them are from the previous builds, the previous worlds.

I understand about the render times - you can lose a LOT of time just setting up a shot.

Will let others pop in with their suggestions/requests.

Please! Even though this is rather time consuming, it's also fun getting the setup just right, and the output is usually so pretty. I have all of the previous vanilla/bukkit worlds available for use.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-01-26, 10:14

Also, to put into perspective how slow the rendering engine is when dealing with actual light sources instead of just the sky, that last image inside the Grande Theatre took ~10.5 hours to render overnight (maxing out my 4 cores at 100% on this ~3 year old 2.8GHz i5) when configured to use only the torches as light sources. And it's still grainy! Another 10 hours maybe could have smoothed it out better. The other images took roughly 10-15 minutes of render time each using just the sun.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-01-26, 12:08

My only fave places are my lava skull complex and my mountain scraper home.

I think it would be neat to see Skyranch from Bridgeport, not sure of best view, though the better ones are with a wide angle lens and foreground elements with focus set in midground.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-01-26, 12:59

A few more!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-01-26, 13:13

Thanks for doing this Brad! I might be able to chip in some CPU cycles and help out too if you guys want. Heck, I might even get Lenny going again just for rendering these things.

I would need a tutorial to get started though.

Brad, thanks for doing my place in CC. I love that image.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2014-01-26, 15:02

Holy crap - these are great!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-01-26, 16:17

more more more

drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-01-26, 16:24

You're getting better Brad!!

What's the one in the picture just above my Bridgeport pad? It's really killer in this photo!! (thanks for pic of the old home place, btw!!)

Fun!!!! Keep 'em coming!!

Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-01-26, 16:49

Quote:
What's the one in the picture just above my Bridgeport pad? It's really killer in this photo!! (thanks for pic of the old home place, btw!!)
That would be the southwest side of SpecMode's hilltop abode in Cashout Cove.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-05-26, 18:59

Just throwing in a couple more I made this evening…

SpecMode
Wait what

2014-05-27, 20:41

If you get a chance, could you try another render of my place on Mob Hill? I filled in the rest of the carpet on the upper deck, and replaced a bunch of the ugly lamps with actual glowstone.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-05-27, 21:47

Sure thing! Maybe tomorrow!

Any particular requested resolution/dimensions?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-05-27, 21:51

Also, as you may have noticed, the renderer doesn't seem to handle stacking a cobble wall post on top of a stretch of cobble wall. It doesn't know how to connect them. If there's already an intersection on the wall, it connects the post above just fine. I hope that makes sense.

Just FYI. Not sure if you'd want to make any changes to accommodate a prettier picture.

SpecMode
Wait what

2014-05-29, 01:09

Eh, the cobble fence thing doesn't really bother me all that much. The overall image looks pretty enough, I think.

1920x1200 resolution if that's workable (if not, a smaller render at the same aspect ratio would be fine), from the same point of view as the original render.

Much appreciated!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-05-29, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Eh, the cobble fence thing doesn't really bother me all that much. The overall image looks pretty enough, I think.

1920x1200 resolution if that's workable (if not, a smaller render at the same aspect ratio would be fine), from the same point of view as the original render.

Much appreciated!
I didn't forget! It's rendering now, but it'll take a while. I'll post it in the morning.

I had to redo the camera setup because I didn't save any of the previous scenes, but I think I have a reasonably close facsimile.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-05-30, 20:33

Click for the large version!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-05-30, 20:52

Here's another one I tried earlier that didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. Plus, I didn't realize that there was a chunk missing from the corner before I walked away while it rendered. Bleh.

SpecMode
Wait what

2014-05-30, 21:41

Ooooh, pretty! Thanks, Brad!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-05-30, 21:53

I can't quite put my finger on it, but for some reason Gojira doesn't seem as threatening to the city as he should be.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-05-30, 22:13

I'm pretty happy with this one.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-05-30, 22:57

I love that episode!

addabox
Veteran Member

2014-05-31, 00:03

I don't play MC, have no idea what's going on, but just had to say: these are awesome beyond saying and Brad is a God among men.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-05-31, 11:17

Ha! Flattery will get you everywhere, addabox.

But seriously you should totally try playing Minecraft. All the images you see rendered here are things that we've constructed in-game on our AppleNova server. If "building" isn't your thing, then there's still fun to be had adventuring, fighting baddies, and collecting resources to stay alive.

Also, here's the Master Sword chamber in the Temple of Time!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-05-31, 18:48

Would you mind doing one of those for my mansion? I would love to see how it would come out! These so far have been great. Really well done.