User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Which iPod nano did you buy?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: iPod nano: which did you buy?
2 GB White 4 6.78%
4 GB White 12 20.34%
2 GB Black 4 6.78%
4 GB Black 12 20.34%
Unsure 3 5.08%
I do not plan to buy an iPod nano 24 40.68%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Which iPod nano did you buy?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-09-10, 22:30

The poll should cover the bases. Respond accordingly, if you wish.

The Unsure option should read, "I am unsure about which iPod nano to buy," it is not meant to be read as, "I am unsure about which iPod nano I bought."

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2005-09-10 at 22:36.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-09-10, 22:40

I was the first person to vote! Wow!

This is my first Apple product. How cool is that?

627 posts...about bloody time, eh?

I remember unpacking it (a whopping five minutes ago) and I was just amazed by how much Apple cared about the packaging. I mean, the shrinkwrap came off very easily, and then I started joking to my sister that they'd miraculously solve my other complaint with the thin cardboard boxes: that they crease when you try to open them. And then I noticed that the iPod nano was in a "book" thing that you slid out. I was all, "holy crap, they did!" Of course, I creased the cardboard when I opened the CD/headphones/everything slot, but that won't show. Seriously, though. The iPod nano is wrapped in nice plastic in this little indent inside...it's like Apple packaging was made for obsessive-compulsive freaks like me.

It really does feel like a premium product...more then a "product," actually.

My first dose of Apple magic...and I love it more than I thought I would.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, to answer the question...I got a white 2GB model.

Last edited by Robo : 2005-09-10 at 22:42.
geneman

Send a message via AIM to geneman  
2005-09-10, 22:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
My first dose of Apple magic...and I love it more than I thought I would.
Which is why I argue that all Apple products should come with a warning sticker, like cigaettes, 'very addictive - can have major effects on your economy' :smokey:

I soooo want a Nano, but having just bought a Shuffle (well not just...) I really can't justify it... hmmm, I'll see if I can find an excuse

If I do buy, it'll be a 4Gb white.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2005-09-10, 23:02

Quote:
I was the first person to vote! Wow!

This is my first Apple product. How cool is that?.....gush...gush....gush.....
Looks like we have another one that willl hoard the packaging with an insane fervour!!!

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-09-10, 23:18

I horde my non-Apple packaging. This packaging? This packaging I will treasure.

hungsnguyen

2005-09-10, 23:25

I wanted the black nano 4 gig, too bad they ran out, so I stuck with original white 4 gig
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-09-11, 02:26

I really like the nano, but I don't plan on buying one.

I have an iPod, it holds 4gigs... till it dies, I'm happy with it.

Nanos about it. . . don't need another iPod.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-09-11, 08:22

4 gig black

currently in memphis...hope pscates doesn't steal it...looks like i won't get it till tuesday...ok by me, that is my birthday...seems fitting

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-09-11, 08:57

Right now, I'm more than happy with my new 4G silver mini.

But in a year or two, you can bet that I'll sell/give away my mini and pick up a nano, or whatever they call a nano by then.

You ask me for a hamburger.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-09-11, 09:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
4 gig black

currently in memphis...hope pscates doesn't steal it...
Well I'm in Chattanooga, so I'm probably not going to drive the 4-5 hours to Memphis to engage in such criminal activity...don't worry, your iPod is safe. From me, anyway.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-09-11, 16:00

Interesting, so far white is leading black in actual units bought. I assumed this would be the case. While people will say that "black is cool" they probably say that because it's new...but when it comes to buying the actual product, they'll go with the one that is more iPod-like.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-09-11, 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
Interesting, so far white is leading black in actual units bought. I assumed this would be the case. While people will say that "black is cool" they probably say that because it's new...but when it comes to buying the actual product, they'll go with the one that is more iPod-like.
This poll can't possibly be representative of the larger population.

Black Nanos were sold out at the Apple Store I went to, and it seems tougher to find if you look around at other threads here.

This seems a bit more accurate:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=268990

Amazon Electronics Top Sellers
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...975863-6886419
- 4GB Black: #9
- 4GB White: #46
- 2GB Black/White: Somewhere in the 200s

Last edited by MCQ : 2005-09-11 at 17:27.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-09-11, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
This poll can't possibly be representative of the larger population.

Black Nanos were sold out at the Apple Store I went to, and it seems tougher to find if you look around at other threads here.

This seems a bit more accurate:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=268990

Amazon Electornics Top Sellers
- 4GB Black: #9
- 4GB White: #46
- 2GB Black/White: Somewhere in the 200s
Time may send the numbers back in the direction of the white iPod nano...at least a bit more.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-09-11, 17:38

Maybe not.

Fact is, people have been screaming for black stuff from Apple for as long as I've been hanging out at these kinds of forums.

A lot of pent-up demand out there for stuff other than white or silver!

The nano is going to be an ENORMOUS home-run...with the black ones leading the charge, mark my words.
k squared

2005-09-11, 19:33

Quote:
I horde my non-Apple packaging. This packaging? This packaging I will treasure.

The nano packaging is a nice evolution from prior iPods (I've owned 1G, 3G, 4G, and 1G mini, not sure if the photo packaging changed). Apple got it right with that little plastic sleeve it comes in.

Oh yeah: I got a black one.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-09-11, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by k squared
The nano packaging is a nice evolution from prior iPods (I've owned 1G, 3G, 4G, and 1G mini, not sure if the photo packaging changed). Apple got it right with that little plastic sleeve it comes in.

Oh yeah: I got a black one.
Wow, you're some kind of iPod whore arent you?

Wrao
Yarp

2005-09-11, 19:48

I think the nano is the most impressive iPod yet, but I have no use for it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-09-11, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
Time may send the numbers back in the direction of the white iPod nano...at least a bit more.
And the sun may rise in the morning. At least for a little while.

Could you make a more obvious statement while at the same time hedging your bets? You hate to admit you may possibly be wrong and will try to eek out any little bit of truth in what you say... Sorry, I just had to get that out.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2005-09-11, 20:09

The 4Gig black nanos were sold out when I went to my local Apple Store, but I'm really glad that I went with the white.
So beautiful. So tiny!!
http://homepage.mac.com/drew1/.Pictures/3Pods01Web.jpg
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-09-11, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
And the sun may rise in the morning. At least for a little while.

Could you make a more obvious statement while at the same time hedging your bets? You hate to admit you may possibly be wrong and will try to eek out any little bit of truth in what you say... Sorry, I just had to get that out.
No, I just believe there's a reason that white has sold well in the past. It's cool. The iPod Steve had was shown in white, because it's well-known and well, cool. Steve saved the black nano as a surprise, but I'm willing to bet the numbers will even out a lot in the coming months...as people get over the initial "black is the new white" craze.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-09-11, 21:34

Hell no dude. I got the black and I love it. At the gym tonight, I caught several people giving me sideways glances wondering if I had an iPod. It's been a long time since that's happened to me. Of course, I was using my shure headphones, so people really had a hard time. If had the white iPod phones on, I'm sure it would have been easier.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-09-11, 22:30

I'm still not sure if I like white more then black, but I love my (white) iPod nano so much I really don't care.

I think the iPod nano looks great in both.

As an aside, I find it interesting that the 4 GB models are apparently selling faster than the 2 GB models. With most other iPods, doesn't the smaller model tend to sell more? I know that the 4 GB iPod mini far outsold the 6 GB one, and as far as the 20 GB/60 GB iPods...yeah, I'm not going to go there. So why is the 4 GB model selling better? Possibly because right now the people buying it are the Apple geeks who know that the iPod nano was shrunk capacity-wise?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-09-11, 22:37

Maybe that 4-6GB capacity is simply the sweet spot?

If all the iPods came with an auto-fill capability, and you got a fresh new batch everytime you synced it (or you could choose to manually load your favorites, of course), there would probably be no need for 20GB-plus iPods.

I sometimes wonder if there will be 80-100GB (and higher) iPods. I'm sure there will be, but I think only a small sliver of the population would be buying them.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-09-11, 22:37

Quote:
I'm still not sure if I like white more then black, but I love my (white) iPod nano so much I really don't care.

As an aside, I find it interesting that the 4 GB models are apparently selling faster than the 2 GB models. With most other iPods, doesn't the smaller model tend to sell more? I know that the 4 GB iPod mini far outsold the 6 GB one, and as far as the 20 GB/60 GB iPods...yeah, I'm not going to go there. So why is the 4 GB model selling better? Possibly because right now the people buying it are the Apple geeks who know that the iPod nano was shrunk capacity-wise?
Maybe also because of the 1,000 song mental threshold? I don't know.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-09-11, 22:57

Quote:

I'm guessing that because the Nano can display photos... people are considering how much space will handle all the music + photos + data that they want to store. While it could be done on 2GB, the extra $50 for double the capacity probably seems like a good deal for most consumers.

Or, maybe I'm giving consumers' thought process too much credit.

The other simpler explanation is just that early adopters want the best/largest capacity model.

Last edited by MCQ : 2005-09-11 at 22:58.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-09-11, 23:22

I'd have gone for a larger model if I had been able to afford one...but my paycheck pretty much exactly covered the 2 GB model, and I didn't want to dip into my savings much (after all, the reason I was getting it was to celebrate reaching a savings milestone). 500 songs is plenty for me, now. I don't have that many, and I doubt I'll mind buying a new iPod when I do outgrow my nano
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-09-11, 23:26

Well, here are some other possible reasons for choosing the 4GB model over the 2GB model.

1) It is only another quarter of the price for double the storage capacity. [EDIT] what MCQ said
2) The iPod mini it replaced started at the 4GB size, so folks might be predisposed to jump in on that level rather than taking a step backward.
3) 4GB offers a bit more time-proofing in terms of being able to accommodate those with small - but growing - libraries.

I also agree that the 1000 song capacity could be an enticing mental mark that people like to tout.

Last edited by Mac+ : 2005-09-11 at 23:28.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-09-11, 23:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
If all the iPods came with an auto-fill capability, and you got a fresh new batch everytime you synced it (or you could choose to manually load your favorites, of course), there would probably be no need for 20GB-plus iPods.
I have a different perspective - I look at the larger sized iPods and wonder why people buy portable HDs with similar capacities.

For the record, I would still invest in a large style iPod. They will definitely have their use as a catch-all portable repository. At the same time though, I think I might be becoming consumed by iPod techno-lust.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-09-11, 23:47

The black iPod nano should come with black iPod earbuds.

Not that I'd use them, they suck ass. But it would be neat. Kind of like how the black MacTV came with a black keyboard and mouse.

I'm not planning on getting one. My 3G 15 GB is still going strong, and the battery lasts long enough to get me through a day of work. I keep the scratches at bay with a bottle of Brasso, so the screen stays readable and the buttons stay touchable. And it holds all the music I'd ever want to take with me. I'd run into problems with anything under 6-7 GB capacity. Besides, I don't have much cash to throw around.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-09-12, 01:10

mine is in town...so i should get it tomorrow...any good black headphones i should get?

g