AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

MS Visio but for iPad

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MS Visio but for iPad
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-03-18, 09:50

Is there an equivalent or similar enough product like Visio but for iPad and maybe macOS?

I want to build a diagram (for my solar system in this case) but I don't want to hand draw everything. I've played with Visio a little and it seems to work really well for this kind of thing. Clip art and image imports make connecting the lines a snap, literally.

Is there something like this for the Apple world?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-03-18, 12:36

OmniGraffle.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-03-19, 15:37

Thanks. I'll look at it.
¡Damned!

2023-03-20, 08:35

Depending how up to date you are on your macOS/iOS there's also Freeform. I've only dabbled in it but it seems capable enough to do some Visio-style diagramming.

So it goes.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-03-20, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Depending how up to date you are on your macOS/iOS there's also Freeform. I've only dabbled in it but it seems capable enough to do some Visio-style diagramming.
Hm, things like connecting objects with lines seems quite limited.
¡Damned!

2023-03-20, 12:56

That's true, it is limited - it doesn't have the ability to move objects and have the line-end follow, or any fancy 'object avoidance' in drawing lines. At best you're able to group lines and objects together and move them all at one. The advantages I saw for T is that it's on both OSes, can sync between the two, and free.

But yes, given my druthers (especially if I had to work in it often) I would use something nicer like OmniGraffle.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-03-20, 13:03

The price of OmniGraffle did startle me actually. I mean, I'm gonna use the app like five times total probably. I was thinking of setting up the trial to build the one I want right now and then let it lapse.

I think I'll try Freeform since I do have it on my iPad though not MBP circa 2016.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-03-20, 17:01

OmniGraffle is the OG. As in it's been around from the start. I remember having a license for it more than a decade ago.

The Omni Group were making software for NEXTSTEP/OpenStep and were among the first companies to publish real, usable software on Mac OS X close to its 1.0 launch in 2001.

They may charge a premium, but it's because they're putting out quality software. They've stayed on top of the evolution of NeXT to Mac OS X to macOS and iOS and such, and their software has always been trying to do interesting and innovative things. I remember early versions made heavy use of drawers. Drawers! Remember those stupid Mac OS X things??

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-03-20, 18:16

Hell, I used OmniGraffle for my dissertation diagrams. In 2005.

OG OG, ya yutzes.
chucker

2023-03-20, 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
OmniGraffle is the OG. As in it's been around from the start. I remember having a license for it more than a decade ago.
I vaguely recall my 2006 MacBook Pro coming with a license. (Maybe it was OmniOutliner instead?)

Quote:
I remember early versions made heavy use of drawers. Drawers! Remember those stupid Mac OS X things??
I saw one the other day. They now have a drawing glitch where the corner has a black pixel, and they’ve been deprecated since 10.14!

I guess everyone has converged on ye olde sidebars instead. I wonder if drawers were the better metaphor.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2023-03-20, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I vaguely recall my 2006 MacBook Pro coming with a license. (Maybe it was OmniOutliner instead?)
Yup, it was Omnigraffle and Omnioutliner. I got them both with my 2004 Powerbook and have just been buying education upgrade licenses since then.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-03-21, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Hell, I used OmniGraffle for my dissertation diagrams. In 2005.
Man, screw you for reminding me that the 2000s were two decades ago not one.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-03-21, 09:49

I need a .edu account.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-03-21, 13:10

Quote:
Man, screw you for reminding me that the 2000s were two decades ago not one.
Brad, Brad, BRAD... when did we go to WWDC again?

LAST CENTURY.

I would drop the mic, but then I'd have to pick it up again, and my back hurts.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-03-21, 14:15

I found a website that is kinda working well. Not bad and seems to have most of what I'm looking for in the diagram I'm building too.
https ://www. diagrams .net

I'm not wanting it hot linked since I know nothing about them, but it seems like it will do what I'm after for this particular drawing. It has even let me download the png and pdf versions as well as the .drawio version.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-03-21, 14:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
I would drop the mic, but then I'd have to pick it up again, and my back hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I found a website that is kinda working well. Not bad and seems to have most of what I'm looking for in the diagram I'm building too.
https ://www. diagrams .net

I'm not wanting it hot linked since I know nothing about them, but it seems like it will do what I'm after for this particular drawing. It has even let me download the png and pdf versions as well as the .drawio version.
Oh wow, that's a name I haven't seen in a while. Yeah, drawio/diagrams.net is legit. I've used it a few times over the years for some basic diagrams. The UI and feature set are pretty limited in some regards, depending on your particular needs, but for most basic stuff, it works just fine.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-03-21, 16:02

Cool. I'm glad I stumbled on them because it did what I wanted. Y'all can see my handiwork here.