Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iPhoto Album

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhoto Album
kfhasan

2007-01-23, 06:01

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any way to set up an album in iPhoto that contains all the pictures from a certain folder? So if I add or remove pictures from the folder using finder, the album in iPhoto should get updated automatically..

I really like the rest of the features of iPhoto but this is the only thing holding me back from ditching Canon ImageBrowser and switching over to it..

Thanks in advance!!

F
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-23, 06:35

You could set up a folder action that, upon adding a photo to a folder, it gets added to iPhoto.
kfhasan

2007-01-23, 07:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
You could set up a folder action that, upon adding a photo to a folder, it gets added to iPhoto.
Sorry for being dumb but how do you do that!
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2007-01-23, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfhasan View Post
Sorry for being dumb but how do you do that!
Yeah, I've kind of been wondering the exact same thing.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-01-24, 08:54

You have to create an action in Automator. There is one for iPhoto that will move pics into iPhoto and group them in a specified album. Once you have the action saved right-click on the folder you'll be dumping the pictures in and select the Attach Folder Action option.

I'll admit that I haven't had much luck with Automator. I can it to almost do what I want but it's never perfect.
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2007-01-25, 09:05

This very helpful, however, still a bit unclear. Do you think you could give us a slightly more in-depth explanation of how to do this?
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-01-25, 11:22

I'm at work and have no Mac near me so this may not be accurate.

1. Open Automator (it should be in your Applications folder if you're on 10.4)
2. On the left hand side of the Automator window there should be a list of applications that have Automator actions available. Select the Finder.
3. Select the Finder Action called "Find Finder Items" or something close to that and drag it the right-hand side of the window.
4. Fill out the Where: field with the folder that you'll be dumping the images in and under the the Whose field should say "Whose Kind is Image". This is essentially the same as defining a smart playlist in iTunes.
5. Now select iPhoto from the list on the left-hand side and select the Import Photos action. Drag it the right-hand side and place it under the Finder action. Now select whether you want the images to be added to an existing album or a new album and whether you want the images deleted from the original folder once they're imported.

That should be it. Now go to the Save As menu and either save it as a Folder action and attach it to folder you'll be using or save it as an application.

Anyone that's at a Mac can feel free to correct me if I missed anything.