User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
WIcked
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-11-25, 20:24

Okay, so I am one for musicals. But I just got to see wicked, in California, it is so good. I very much would recommend this to others. :-D
GladToBeHere

2007-11-25, 20:32

Haven't seen it, but I've known some of the music for some time. Fun stuff.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-11-25, 23:22

I saw it in Dallas. It is quite good, and I recommend it as well.
dglow

2007-11-25, 23:28

Souflay, where did you see the show? I saw the LA cast just last weekend, and was very impressed.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-11-26, 07:52

Huh - I read the book a while back, after hearing rave reviews of the musical, and it was just 'meh'. I guess if you didn't read any fantasy, or scifi, or specfic, it might seem really revolutionary or something, but I found it pretty average.

I wonder which 90% they cut out to make it entertaining?
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-11-26, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglow View Post
Souflay, where did you see the show? I saw the LA cast just last weekend, and was very impressed.
I also saw the LA show. I have some friends who saw the New York one a few years back, who originally recommended it to me. Also, I don't know if it is just me, I have seen a ton of musicals/plays usually at the ahmanson in down town LA, but the stage looked very very small. It worked well, but when i first walked in i was like "wow, that is really small." I bought the CD also, which is the broadway cast, and i liked the LA (we had the filler for the white witch) sound much better than the one on the disk (any thoughts?).
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-11-26, 13:26

I hate musicals without exception. I think it's a subconcious thing where I'm battling to avoid the stereotype that I'm supposed to love them. Heh. They're just not for me, really.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-11-26, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
I hate musicals without exception. I think it's a subconcious thing where I'm battling to avoid the stereotype that I'm supposed to love them. Heh. They're just not for me, really.

I know the feeling, turbulent. I always felt an intense aversion for musicals...ugh... all that annoying singing ruining a perfectly good stage play.

But, now that I've gone to quite a few over the last year or so, I've managed to learn to enjoy them well enough. I guess I've been going to all these musicals just to see what the fuss was about; and, eventually, I started forming a certain appreciation for them as a light, not to be taken too seriously, form of entertainment.

One I always did like, though, was My Fair Lady, the movie version. Somehow, the singing really did enhance, rather than detract from, the story; I guess mainly because the songs are all really quite perfect for the tale being told. Also, I seem to really love stories about life-changing transformations. 'Plus', it was set in England, and I'm such a shameless Anglophile.

You've seen that movie, right? If not, you should rent it and give it a try.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-11-26, 17:17

I think adding singing to a play/movie amplifies my feelings toward it; I will either love it unconditionally (Chicago, Phantom of the Opera) or I will hate it with intensity (most "classic" musicals...you know the type).

Carol, I *adored* the film version of My Fair Lady. Having Higgens speak his "songs" instead of singing them allowed them to focus on getting a good actor instead of a good singer (what a concept!), and it shows.

Plus, I will always love Audrey Hepburn.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2007-11-26, 18:10

I really enjoy musicals and have been in quite a few of them myself (community theater, high school, and semi-professional.) I saw Wicked in Chicago and loved every minute of it. I'm planning on seeing it again sometime this winter.

Come waste your time with me
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-11-26, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Carol, I *adored* the film version of My Fair Lady. Having Higgens speak his "songs" instead of singing them allowed them to focus on getting a good actor instead of a good singer (what a concept!), and it shows.
Well, exactly. He was simply ideal.

Quote:
Plus, I will always love Audrey Hepburn.
She was absolute perfection in this role, wasn't she?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026 View Post
I really enjoy musicals and have been in quite a few of them myself (community theater, high school, and semi-professional.)
Omg, I'm trying to picture you singing onstage, Sammy.

It's definitely a 'Leo' thing to do though, no question about that! So, I'm sure you were great at whatever roles you played.