Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Google launches Knol

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Google launches Knol
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-07-23, 15:14

In case any of you guys haven't been following this, Google has been working on an alternative to Wikipedia. Unlike Wikipedia Knol allows contributors to write articles and following either be the exclusive author or moderate the article contributions from others. In order to provide for all viewpoints there can exist several articles with different opinions on the same subject. The big selling point in comparison to Wikipedia is that readers now have a source/author to pin the article on and thus decide for themselves who to trust. the downside is that you probably have to read through a few more articles before getting the same picture that Wikipedia in most cases would provide anyway.

I think it's terribly exciting. What do you guys think, does it have a chance at dethroning Wikipedia? Any articles you plan to write?

http://knol.google.com

Last edited by Mugge : 2008-07-24 at 12:14. Reason: Stupid typo!
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2008-07-23, 15:26

I'm not opposed to it, but I think the Wikipedia model is generally more useful, because the content is reached by consensus (in theory) and attribution is not a motivating factor (in theory). Now, the disadvantages of Wikipedia are that competing voices are not necessarily heard, and that - due to anonymity - the credibility can be questioned. With the Knol model, competing viewpoints can be shared, but it may become truly cumbersome. The clear attribution of authors should encourage truthfullness, and make it easier for someone to determine credibility. On the other hand, people may be less likely to contribute to controversial topics. This model should definitely be explored - let's see where the chips fall.
dbcdenver

2008-07-24, 11:26

Wiki will always be king. It gets a bad rep for being innacurate but actually if you compare it to other information sources it's pretty good. Plus, wikipedia puts it all in one place, as opposed to Knol. Anyway, Knol has to reach critical mass first before it can even be considered a rival to wikipedia.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2008-07-24, 12:07

Is there anything Google doesn't have their hand in?

I mean does Google have a focus or do they just have too much money to spend on anything and everything?