Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Google Nearby Search

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Google Nearby Search
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-02-26, 16:00

Google enhances local search with "nearby" filter. Here's what I get at my location in Atlanta for "italian restaraunts":

Another awesome and totally free Google feature that people will use all the time and not give them any credit for.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-02-26, 16:18

Erm. There has been a local search since before they launched Google Maps. In fact, Google Maps is based on that. How is this different, aside from being integrated into the main search?
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-02-26, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Erm. There has been a local search since before they launched Google Maps. In fact, Google Maps is based on that. How is this different, aside from being integrated into the main search?
Google Maps doesn't know where you are (unless you have GPS). You have to tell where the location is (or sign in). This checks your IP address. Let me know if I have that wrong, though.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-02-26, 16:24

I find it quicker to just tag on a street address and zip code when performing the search. Faster than having to search for whatever, click show options, and then click nearby.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-02-26, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
I find it quicker to just tag on a street address and zip code when performing the search. Faster than having to search for whatever, click show options, and then click nearby.
If you live in a big zip code, this might give you results that are actually closer. Try it, let us know. I'll do the same.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-02-26, 16:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Google Maps doesn't know where you are (unless you have GPS). You have to tell where the location is (or sign in). This checks your IP address. Let me know if I have that wrong, though.
Yeah, you're right. That's silly, though; there's something like a 100 mile range for my IP address, so not very useful. Why doesn't it use geolocation APIs?
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-02-26, 16:34

I should also point out that Bing apparently does the same thing, and you don't have to click any special options or type the zip code. Good on them.

tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-02-26, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
If you live in a big zip code, this might give you results that are actually closer. Try it, let us know. I'll do the same.
I did a search for 'restaurants'.

First, using the 'nearby' filter. Link.

Second, appending the address & zip code at the end of the search: Link.

The results between the two approaches appear almost identical. A couple differences here and there, but no major.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick