AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Retina MacBook Pros - 2013

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Retina MacBook Pros - 2013
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2013-06-10, 16:38

Seems like rMBPs were left out of WWDC 2013 completely...

I wonder if this is due to the expected fall release of Thunderbolt 2 or what... I hope its not something so mundane as not being able to get the yields on retina screens high enough (I think I recall some speculation about that in the past weeks).

Anyone else bummed? I was hoping to get a new one with Haswell sometime this summer but that is looking more like a fall thing now.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-06-10, 16:52

I wouldn't worry too much. It simply probably didn't play into their focus today. I do recall hardware releases within a month or so after a Macworld or WWDC keynote. There's still hope. They probably had their reasons for including the Airs in today's presentation (small, sleek, understated, universally popular and strong-selling, etc.).

Anytime I'm at my local Best Buy or MacAuthority, I see folks buying an Air of some sort, 3-to-1, over any Pro.

Granted, this is a developer/professional-oriented event. But still, the press and attention were going to be on them today, so they want to make the most of that.

EDIT: according to Mactracker, the Airs were last updated in June 2012...an entire year.

The iMacs didn't get touched either today, but they were updated just this past October. The MacBook Pro is showing updates in October 2012 (13" model) and in February 2013 (both 13" and 15").

Seems to me the iMac would be slated for an update before the MacBook Pro.

Maybe those new processors aren't fully ramped up, so they're just easing them out to the Airs for a month or so? I don't know...
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-06-10, 16:52

I'm bummed... But then again, I don't necessarily have the cash on hand to invest in replacing all of my software that an upgrade almost always entails...

i am actually hating Brucker right now because they've made their academic licence for their NMR processing software valid for 3 years on a single device.. meaning I may be stuck using this four year old computer for two more years...
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2013-06-10, 17:03

I guess I'll keep on limping along, it's only been 2.5 years so I think I have a bit more in me...

I hear your point on the iMac before MBP, but this new generation of Haswell chips was designed with an eye for power savings so it seems like notebooks should be "at bat" for the upgrade.

On the other hand, they can't let the rMBP languish too much in the face of an Air update, newer chips and all... So maybe there's something on the horizon.

Bobsky, you'll just have to hold out for the new Mac Pro...

Ryan
Veteran Member

2013-06-10, 17:04

I was hoping for rMBP updates as well. My MBA is only about a year old but I really want that retina display.

The rational thing to do would be to just buy a high-res external monitor but where's the fun in that?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2013-06-10, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
The rational thing to do would be to just buy a high-res external monitor but where's the fun in that?
High-res doesn't necessarily mean high DPI...
Frank777
Veteran Member

2013-06-10, 19:11

Yep. Likely held off for TB2. The Airs introduced today are both TB1.

The interesting thing is if there's a 4K screen in the works for the MBP. Others are doing it, and Apple is pushing video hard with TB and the new Pro.
Obviously for the high-end only, but remember, parts of the Star Wars prequels were done on MBPs.

Any mid-range or pro camcorders coming with TB yet?
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-06-11, 04:54

I think I'd like a 17 or 18" MacBook Pro, or a 15" MacBook Air. My eyes aren't getting any younger.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-06-11, 07:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
I guess I'll keep on limping along, it's only been 2.5 years so I think I have a bit more in me...

If it makes you feel any better, know that this September makes my fifth year with this iMac (and it was a refurb when I got it in September 2008...the second-tier, $1,499 20" model from the previous year's new glass/aluminum redesign). So, technically, I'm rocking a six-year-old machine (or will be, in another few months). And it's running Mountain Lion and Illustrator CSS 6 (and the latest Angry Birds and Pixelmator releases as well), doing everything I need.

So, yeah...I don't think you're quite at the end of your rope after two-and-a-half years.

Now that they've offered SSD options to the entry-level 21" iMac, I could finally upgrade myself by year's end...
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-06-13, 06:04

In my experience iMacs tend to hold up a little better than laptops. I'm on a 7 year old MacBook Pro and it doesn't feel anywhere near as responsive as an iMac of similar vintage. Of course my hard drive is often over full and I'm RAM limited to 3GB. At the very least an HDD upgrade and some system maintenance would improve things, an SSD might make a significant difference, but I'm loathe to go through it all because I think my backlight is starting to fade.

Anyway, we have some C2D iMacs of similar vintage, bough they have 4-8GB of RAM, and larger hard drives and they just seem to work much better, especially noticeable is the lack of wind turbine fan speeds when you move a few big files around.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2013-07-03, 13:22

What are the chances the 13" rMBP refresh will be expandable to 16GB RAM? I was poking around the info on Haswell but couldn't find an answer.

I just started with a new company and they're giving me a generous budget to buy a new laptop. I'm really hoping I can hold off till Apple refreshes the rMBP. Maxing out at 8GB RAM is a deal breaker for me right now, I need 16GB. Quad-core would also be great though looking at the power requirements for Haswell, I'm not sure we can expect that in the 13".
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-07-03, 15:56

Doesn't Haswell also support a newer memory type? DD4 or something?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2013-07-13, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
Doesn't Haswell also support a newer memory type? DD4 or something?
I haven't read too much about it, so I can't really say...

It does look like the 15" rMBP may be shedding its dedicated graphics card... I think I have mixed feelings about that. I just don't know if Iris graphics could drive the internal retina display and any external 4K displays that many expect to be shipping in the near future.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-07-13, 05:08

Probably not an issue. The supposed leaked Haswell benchmark has the same or better numbers than the existing. My guess is that the 13" and lower tier 15 get it, and the top end model gets more. I'd like to see 16GB standard with the option for 32GB.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2013-07-13, 07:26

The supposed leaked benchmark is CPU-specific, though. We don't know how GPU numbers will care. I don't know for sure, but I believe the Iris Pro is still far behind Radeon and GeForce.
wtd

2013-07-15, 00:47

Most likely reason only the MacBook Airs were updated is that Haswell chips (especially dual-core ones) are going to be in limited supply for awhile, the MacBook Airs are relatively low-volume, and they will possibly have the best battery life, making them a great way to build excitement and demand for when Apple does update the MacBook Pros.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2013-07-15, 16:36

Man, I make embarrassing autocorrupt mistakes on my iPhone.
chucker

2013-07-15, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtd View Post
the MacBook Airs are relatively low-volume
Not exactly.
Eugene
careful with axes

2013-07-15, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
The MacBook Air has also outsold MacBook Pros at several junctions, but that probably owes to staggered refresh cycles. Still shouldn't surprise anyone since the most expensive MacBook Air is less expensive than all but one retail configuration of MacBook Pro.

Just about everyone I know with MacBook Pros in the past now own MacBook Airs instead. A few people own rMBPs but they are artists.
chucker

2013-07-16, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
The MacBook Air has also outsold MacBook Pros at several junctions, but that probably owes to staggered refresh cycles. Still shouldn't surprise anyone since the most expensive MacBook Air is less expensive than all but one retail configuration of MacBook Pro.
Yeah. Used to be that the Air was the exclusive/luxury option, but now that the regular ol' white MacBook is gone, the Air is (from Apple's perspective) even the "low-cost" option.
HHogan

Send a message via AIM to HHogan  
2013-07-20, 10:12

I was waiting for the new rMBP but gave in a couple of weeks ago. My mid-2010 MBP was just getting a tad long in the tooth.

Biggest surprise for me that I didn't even clue in on was the lack of an ethernet port. Got the Thunderbolt adapter so I can get Gigabit ethernet back.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-07-26, 17:37

A relatively important thing on these models may be whether Thunderbolt 2 is included. It's not just a question of faster interconnects, but also support for 4K displays, which Apple is almost certain to have by next year, or even late this year...

Ryan
Veteran Member

2013-07-26, 22:05

I'm giving up on this refresh. Buying a 13" rMBP next week.
Eugene
careful with axes

2013-07-27, 00:54

Haswell uses a lot less power than Ivy Bridge under light/typical loads, so I'm not entirely sure buying a MBP right now is a good idea. Anand was getting 16 hours out of the new 13" MBA until he decided to up the brightness to 75%. Maybe those numbers are skewed a bit since MBAs use ULT chips, but maybe not by too much...

Last edited by Eugene : 2013-07-27 at 10:21.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-07-27, 08:17

That might be more significant, maybe, than people think, not just from a battery life perspective, but overall performance and reliability. My old MBP (C2D 2.16) is fine when surfing the web , iTunes, etc..., but fire up CS5 and it turns into a little space heater, not only does it get HOT, it gets LOUD (the fans kick in) and slows down noticeably with large multiple files. iMacs of the same vintage are much more comfortable with the same files despite having had similar specs at the time.

Reviews suggest that Haswell is much more efficient under typical loads, I wonder if it's also an improvement under heavy loads? That could be something worth more than can be revealed on the spec sheet.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2013-07-27, 13:45

I'm not often on battery power. Also, I won't be replacing my Air, I'll be adding to it. I just started a new job with a startup and they're giving me a $2500 budget to buy a new computer setup.
Eugene
careful with axes

2013-07-27, 23:01

Different strokes I guess. I still use desktops at home and only use my MacBook Air on the go. The only thing I really care about at all when I'm mobile is having all-day battery life so I don't have to carry around a piggyback battery or find a wall outlet on a convention floor or something.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2013-07-28, 02:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
i am actually hating Brucker right now because they've made their academic licence for their NMR processing software valid for 3 years on a single device..
No need for hate:
License Transfer

A license transfer occurs when you have a valid license and you would like to transfer it to another computer (server). This means, that the Host-ID changes on which the license is based. Such a case typically arises when you replace a computer because of hardware problems or when it is stolen. A license transfer can be ordered from your Bruker representative. The license itself can be ordered with the License Request Form.

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-07-28, 12:55

Hey Eugene,

How long have you had your Macbook Air, and how's the battery doing? I ask because my still original 60w/h battery now barely gets 30 minutes to a charge, but it's 7 years old, and was abused by yours truly, no real battery management after the the first few months. I'm thinking of getting a NuPower replacement for 80 bucks, which should bring it back into the legit 3 hour range. The original advertised 4.5 hours were only in very light usage. There's probably some sort of MBA battery replacement service/kit available, but it'd be interesting to hear an update on how many months/years the new machines will run before charge capacity is significantly degraded...

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2013-07-30, 15:58

My assumption/hope has been that they're being delayed until fall so that Intel can get the Thunderbolt 2 chips out... if that's not the case then I think I'll be waiting for the generation that supports 4k displays. Not that I have one yet, but who knows what will happen in 2 years?

With that, I'm also still wondering whether they'll have dedicated GPUs, and if not then curious what kind of power the top bin parts will provide. Apple has never really shipped top tier GPUs in their MBPs, so I'm not expecting much... but driving a 4k display sounds taxing.