September 9 Media Event
Page 4 of 10 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-09-09, 00:55

Daring Fireball

Quote:
(What if it’s a revolutionary iPod — with an “o”? An iPod whose form factor is naturally meant to just get out of the way while you wear it, including when you wear it to exercise. Max Child imagined just that, it sounds like something a lot of people would buy. I would. And it would fit with both the “health” angle of fitness tracking sensors and HealthKit in iOS 8, and Apple’s traditional September “music event”.) ★
may be on to something here..... could this just be the reinvented "iPod"?

the iPod name was always very interesting to me.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-09, 01:27

Interesting...NYT resurrects U2 rumors...says band to play significant part at tomorrow's event. Hmmm. The bullcrap is just flying everywhere! In, and from, all directions! These folks say this, those folks say that, the truth probably lies somewhere in between. Maybe U2 is participating, but they're not actually there in person in California? Maybe they're being streamed from Dublin or somewhere, and showcasing some feature of the new iPhone or some other product or service being announced tomorrow?
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2014-09-09, 01:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Interesting...NYT resurrects U2 rumors...says band to play significant part at tomorrow's event. Hmmm. The bullcrap is just flying everywhere! In, and from, all directions! These folks say this, those folks say that, the truth probably lies somewhere in between. Maybe U2 is participating, but they're not actually there in person in California? Maybe they're being streamed from Dublin or somewhere, and showcasing some feature of the new iPhone or some other product or service being announced tomorrow?
well... more interesting is that the quote of denial of performing at the event came from The Independent (irish newspaper).

Quote:
In the Independent:

A spokeswoman for the band said Bono and co have not struck a deal with Apple to release their upcoming album on its next [iPhone].

"They are not releasing their album on the iPhone, and they are not performing at the IPhone launch," she said.
The article has since been deleted from the Independent's website without mention.

All other citations of that quote seem to originate from that (now deleted) source.

So who knows.

Quote:
In the Daily Edge:

U2′s PUBLICIST HAS said that she is "not aware of any plans" to release the band's new album pre-loaded on the iPhone 6.

Her comments follow widespread rumours that the band would do so, amid talk of a possible marketing tie-in ahead of the new iPhone's launch next week.

Regine Moylett of RMP London told DailyEdge.ie: "No, I'm not aware of any plans to load the album onto a phone."
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-09, 02:24

Mayo Clinic rumored to be participating in tomorrow's presentation of the Health app (and by extension the wearable that feeds that app biometrics). If true, that's pretty significant. When you get a major, broadly respected medical institution to in effect co-brand your app, it sends the message that it's more than a toy, it's a legit adjunct to professional medical care. No small thing for a "watch."

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-09, 06:51

Gruber's latest Talk Show podcast - where he and Macworld's Jason Snell talk for two-and-a-half hours(!) about all this stuff - is a really good episode. Try to give it a listen before today's event, if you can.

http://daringfireball.net/thetalkshow/2014/09/08/ep-094

I was pleased to hear them echo some of the very things I've written here in this thread (about how it should be true to itself and not trying to be self-consciously "watch-y"...it can be nice and stylish without trying to ape an analog, mechanical product in some ham-handed, desperate effort to impress "watch people"). This has to be its own thing...as much to do with a traditional watch as the iPhone does to a traditional phone.

And plenty of iPhone 6 talk too, of course.

Enjoyable, thoughtful and fast-moving conversation. When Gruber's enthusiastic and engaged, he's fun to listen to and offers solid analysis and insight. And Snell is no slouch either.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2014-09-09, 08:55

Personally, I really want that runner's watch.
Partial
Stallion

2014-09-09, 10:05

I, too, would prefer more of a thin, fitness band type design. I *know* I won't wear a big bulky watch. I've tried before - just can't get into them.

I'm hoping the rumored 1.5" display is not square, rather a long, thin rectangle.

I'm excited for today. This will paint a pretty good picture of where Apple is going and if Tim Cook is the man to run a creative team. We know he is absolutely the man to lead a financially and operationally strong company.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-09, 10:16

My final predictions:

1) iPhone 6 in one screen size: 4.7"; 16, 32, 64, 128 capacity; sapphire display; Touch ID; A8 and M8 (accompanied by iPhone 5S as mid-tier and 5C [now with TouchID] as low-end); 4S discontinued

2) New 5k Thunderbolt Display: 5000x2800-ish resolution; USB 3, TB, Ethernet, Magsafe, iSight, speakers; Built-in ATI FirePro graphics working over TB bus (your 11" Air will drive it at full power). Yes, this is my wildcard

3) Lots of Healthkit, Homekit, etc.

4) iWatch/iPod wearable business

The End

I am wrong on the display, so I will toss in a new AppleTV with SDK as the real surprise.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2014-09-09, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
My final predictions:

1) iPhone 6 in one screen size: 4.7"; 16, 32, 64, 128 capacity; sapphire display; Touch ID; A8 and M8 (accompanied by iPhone 5S as mid-tier and 5C [now with TouchID] as low-end); 4S discontinued

2) New 5k Thunderbolt Display: 5000x2800-ish resolution; USB 3, TB, Ethernet, Magsafe, iSight, speakers; Built-in ATI FirePro graphics working over TB bus (your 11" Air will drive it at full power). Yes, this is my wildcard

The End

I am wrong on the display, so I will toss in a new AppleTV with SDK as the real surprise.
New AppleTV would be too much for Apple to focus on, not only today, but this fall. I believe the reports that Apple has pushed a new Apple TV off until early 2015 for that reason.

And I suspect that the new Apple TV will share and benefit from much of the technology that today's announcements include (HomeKit, continuity, security features, NFC, etc).
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2014-09-09, 10:19

So my guess?

It's wearing because it's distributed. Something along the lines of the strapped on heart monitors, only slick and sexy vs. bulky.

The battery life isn't an issue because it uses your body's movement over the course of the day to trickle charge.

Base phone setup offers a vast array of health/bio feedback, optional pieces for more nuanced info.

The tech will be made to compliment/work with existing fasion, vs. being a fasion statement in itself.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Partial
Stallion

2014-09-09, 10:24

Quote:
My final predictions:
This is an insanely cool idea. It will be expensive - I don't even want to speculate what it will be - but this sounds amazing.

Quote:

Agreed. I suspect these will be tied very tightly together.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-09-09, 10:31

Quote:
I would be shocked if there weren’t two screen sizes. And I can’t see a sapphire cover glass on something this big. I think Apple is investing in that tech for the wearable.

I’ll be interested to see what kind of display resolution is on the new iPhones.

The Store is down, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
The battery life isn't an issue because it uses your body's movement over the course of the day to trickle charge.
I doubt this will feature on Apple’s first wearable, but something like this (or using body heat, etc.) will change everything when the power requirements for running an ARM processor and a display of some kind drop to the 15-nanowatt range (say).

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2014-09-09, 10:37

I'll go with the one size phone as well. Unless I missed something all the leaked pictures and videos only show the 4.7 inch phone. And for wishful thinking I'll go with 32GB base storage and a big bump in iCloud storage as well.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-09-09, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by addison View Post
And for wishful thinking I'll go with 32GB base storage
I’d be shocked if this happened, too. Makes more sense to up the storage in a year’s time with the refresh. These all-new iPhones will have enough going for them without giving people a free storage upgrade. Similarly, I expect no more than 1 GB of RAM (an amount that is honestly never a problem on my iPhone 5).

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-09-09, 10:59

Have you guys been watching the updates on Apple.com?

http://www.apple.com/live/2014-sept-event/

addison
Formerly “AWM”

2014-09-09, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
I’d be shocked if this happened, too. Makes more sense to up the storage in a year’s time with the refresh. These all-new iPhones will have enough going for them without giving people a free storage upgrade. Similarly, I expect no more than 1 GB of RAM (an amount that is honestly never a problem on my iPhone 5).
Maybe but a lot of flagship phones today come with 32GB. I think it's time for Apple to do the same. You can fill up a 16GB pretty easy these days.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2014-09-09, 11:30

Quote:

Dell has a 5K 27" coming out this December, and it's rumored to be $2500 range. Can't imagine that works on an iMac. Would be neat though.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2014-09-09, 11:34

God, I hope Apple isn't worthing with the Susan B. folks for breast cancer. They are absolute shit about doing real research and spend most of their money on lawsuits and marketing last I'd checked. (i checked again, they aren't as bad as they were. they still sue other groups for using the phrase "for the cure" and some other shady stuff, not to mention the amount of money they earmark for "education" and how that's being spent, but there are such better groups out there. guess they don't have the reach though.)

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-09-09, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Have you guys been watching the updates on Apple.com?

http://www.apple.com/live/2014-sept-event/
Stephen Fry!
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2014-09-09, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
God, I hope Apple isn't worthing with the Susan B. folks for breast cancer. They are absolute shit about doing real research and spend most of their money on lawsuits and marketing last I'd checked. (i checked again, they aren't as bad as they were. they still sue other groups for using the phrase "for the cure" and some other shady stuff, not to mention the amount of money they earmark for "education" and how that's being spent, but there are such better groups out there. guess they don't have the reach though.)
so... calm down. It's Susan G. first of all. And while the foundation has its issues its not nearly as bad as you claim it be.

edit: you edited your post it seems but you are still off. They do not spend MOST of their money on lawsuits and marketing and they are far from shit.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-09, 11:52

The best thing about these events is that they actually start on time. They don't do the concert thing, keeping you waiting and wearing out everyone's patience and goodwill. 10am PST actually means 10am PST...I like that. A lot of people might be scheduling their lunches or a break around this, so it's nice that they'll get to see as much of it as possible because it actually kicked in when it's supposed to.

Now, watch...after I say this, Cook will come walking out at 10:25.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2014-09-09, 11:53

Quote:
The best thing about these events is that they actually start on time. They don't do the concert thing, keeping you waiting and wearing out everyone's patience and goodwill. 10am PST actually means 10am PST...I like that. A lot of people might be scheduling their lunches or a break around this, so it's nice that they'll get to see as much of it as possible because it actually kicked in when it's supposed to.

are two songs playing simultaneously for anyone watching? it's annoying!
Partial
Stallion

2014-09-09, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
are two songs playing simultaneously for anyone watching? it's annoying!
Yep. What's up w/ that? Trippy.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2014-09-09, 11:59

Shit. It just died on me.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2014-09-09, 12:00

Interesting that the first thing you see when you go to Apple.com is the video stream already streaming. Feels like they are about to go all in today:

Now excuse me while I savour this.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2014-09-09, 12:00

Quote:

You are to blame for this!
Partial
Stallion

2014-09-09, 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Shit. It just died on me.
You getting the TV Truck Schedule screen?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-09-09, 12:02

So... 3D displays? Or are they just screwing with us?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-09-09, 12:03

WHERE IS THE SHOW??? Stupid Apple
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-09, 12:04

Un-damn-believable...10 minutes of flawless streaming, of people getting seated and taking selfies (and listening to awful, overlapping music), and then as the event starts, it's that TV truck test pattern screen. Good grief...