User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Help with PowerBook drive swap

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help with PowerBook drive swap
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-06-13, 01:49

OK, so my PowerBook ceased to function after I dropped it off a table. I'd try to start it up, but nothing - just a flashing question mark and if I put my ear against where the HD sits, I can hear it attempt to spin up.
It sounds like a car with a dying battery trying to fire up. Rrrrrrr, Rrrrr, Rrrrr etc.

So, I find a couple of nifty sites describing how to disassemble a 12" PB, purchase a compatible HD and go to work.

The HD that died is a Hitachi 40Gig and I'm trying to replace it with a Hitachi/IBM 80Gig. Here's a shot of both.

Here's the issue that I'm having:
In the pic, you'll notice that the original drive (on the left) sits in shock-mount base.
The base connects to the original HD via a small rectangular connector - my new drive does not have this connector. It has a normal edge connector.

Here's the question for you all-knowing people: The base comes apart and does allow me to use the edge connector to hook up my new HD, but I'm wondering if I can use it that way in my PowerBook?
There are a lot of chips and circuitry on that base that will be unused.

Did I get the wrong drive?

I really miss my PowerBook and OS X. I'm stuck on my XP gaming rig!
Help please.

Here are additional pics for better visualization:
The different connectors on the HDs
Shock-mount base
Shock-mount base disassembled
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-06-13, 10:08

you should take just that small connector that's on the IDE pins, remove that and add it to the new drive.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-06-13, 17:03

Thanks alcimedes for the reply.

I think I just answered my own question regarding the base with all the chips and circuirty on it that will be unnecessary with my new HD - It looks like that base is built on to the new HD.

I didn't see it before. With the original Apple HD, it's more or less bolted on. On the new HD it's integrated with the housing.

I get it now. Thanks.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2004-06-21, 00:09

Put the little PB back together (accidently ripped one of the wires out of the microphone connector in the process) with the new hard drive. Everything seemed to go well until I attempted to power it up.

I hear the familiar slight pop from the speakers and nothing.
It's dead. Won't start via battery power or plugged into AC.

Not sure what the issue could be, but I'm sad and really, really miss my OS X.

Next step is to take it apart again and see what I could have f***ed up, then see how much Apple will charge to troubleshoot it for me and then consult PowerBookResQ as an alternative.

Ya know, work is going so well that I just might go grab a new PB - they're up to 1.3Ghz, so why not?

Last edited by NosferaDrew : 2004-06-22 at 00:09.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2004-06-21, 00:10

What the hell happened to the formatting here? It's not showing up as I typed it - much less readable!
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-06-21, 00:15

this might be a stupid question ( meaning it goes w/o asking) but did u reinstall osx on the new drive?
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2004-06-21, 00:44

There's no way to do that since the PB won't power up.
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-06-21, 13:14

did you try booting from cd