AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

If Apple made a weight scale. This would be it

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
If Apple made a weight scale. This would be it
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2009-12-12, 18:36

So I'm dinking around Amazon. I'm looking for a new weight scale that will replace the behemoth analog scale that I own now. My eyesight fading rapidly I need something with easy to read digits.

I come across a scale so beautiful I think "I'm not even sure I can mar the surface of that with my dirty feet"

Enter...the Wightings Wifi scale.

Gorgeous and it comes in Callista Flockhart proportions

Here's the site for more info.

Yes there's an iPhone/Touch app but it gets better.

This scale takes your measurements and then, via Wifi, updates an online server with your weight, BMI, Lean Mass and Fat Mass. You can check the status of your "labor" by logging into the Wighings website with your account from any browser or there's a Free iPhone app to keep track.

There's even the ability to log results on Twitter at user specified intervals for the more social amongst us.

Here's the kicker for me. If you have multiple people in a household that want to keep track of their body composition the scale has intelligent logic built in that differentiates from household members by their composition. So if my 50lb son steps on the scale no biggy the scale knows my settings and matches them to me automatically. I'd have to have a near clone in BMI, Weight and Fat/Lean Mass to confuse the scale.

The price for this Luxury? An Apple'esque $160. The account for tracking is free well as the iPhone app. I just may do this next year. It's small ...it's smart takes all the measurements I need.

Oh yes the Amazon reviews for it are all flawless 5 star

I bough one of the Omron handheld body fat measure tools and I never use it. I need all my stats captured and logged at one time. This product looks like the ticket.

omgwtfbbq
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-12-12, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
Heaviest iPhone ever! Is it made out of osmium or something?
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2009-12-12, 19:15

lol I didn't even notice the weight on the scale.
Wrao
Yarp

2009-12-12, 20:27

Typical Apple, form over function. 164.5 psh.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-12-12, 20:38

Wow. I don't need this but I want it.... so cool!!

I don't know what y'all are so surprised about...
my iPhone is MUCH heavier now because I have more files in it.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-12-12, 21:41

Drew, it will fit in your pocket better if you uninstall some apps. I mean, really, you only need one poo log app.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2009-12-12, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Drew, it will fit in your pocket better if you uninstall some apps. I mean, really, you only need one poo log app.
OMG OMG OMG! There's a poo log app? I gotta have it.

Hell I've pretty much decided i'm going to spring for this scale in January. I've gotta get back to hitting the gym at least 3 times a week and watching what I eat. By summer I'll be lean mean and having no green (as in greenbacks..sigh)

omgwtfbbq
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2009-12-15, 18:55

I think I'm picking it up in January. I've taken 2009 off but it's time to get back in the saddle as far as working out goes.

omgwtfbbq
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-10-27, 10:10

I'm thinking about ordering this scale from Amazon. I have been getting back into working out and it would be nice to have something to monitor my weight and all that jazz to help keep me motivated on a daily basis.

hmurchison, did you ever pick this up? Anyone else purchase this scale by chance?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2011-10-27, 10:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I'm thinking about ordering this scale from Amazon. I have been getting back into working out and it would be nice to have something to monitor my weight and all that jazz to help keep me motivated on a daily basis.

hmurchison, did you ever pick this up? Anyone else purchase this scale by chance?
Yontsey ...I've had it about a year now and i've never regretted my purchase. It's easy to link up to my Wifi and a lot of 3rd party fitness sites support the Withings API or vice versa so when I hope on my scale and get my measurements it updates my weightbot and my DailyBurn website/app as well as the free Withings app. I'm thinking about getting the blood pressure devices as well since I ain't getting any younger and High Blood Pressure runs in my family.

Another devices i'm keen on investigating is Basis (http://mybasis.com/) . Looks like this "track every bit of fitness data" era is upon is in a strong way. Well more info is better than less in my book.

omgwtfbbq
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-10-28, 10:58

I've been using this for a while now. I really like it. It doesn't "do" anything, though. I figure if I weigh myself once or twice a day, I can figure out what's going on.

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Preci...9817436&sr=8-1
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-10-28, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Another devices i'm keen on investigating is Basis (http://mybasis.com/) . Looks like this "track every bit of fitness data" era is upon is in a strong way. Well more info is better than less in my book.
This is what I've been looking for! I want something to monitor and integrate my daily metabolic rate, so I can figure out how many calories I actually burn in 24 hours. Thanks!

EDIT: Apparently, people have been waiting for 3 years to get one of these. Here's a message from the COO that I found in the forum page from 3 days ago:

Quote:
Hey everyone,

We certainly hear your frustration at not seeing a ship date. It takes time to build and polish hardware, especially something as unique as Basis. Since we knew the road to shipping would be tortuous, we have steadfastly refrained from taking or charging for pre-orders. We have also kept from putting out a specific ship date until we know we can hit it.

In terms of where we are today, Basis devices recently started rolling off the production line. We are pretty excited to be using them every day in SF and learning from the data. There's still work to be done but we are definitely towards the tail end of product development.

Rest assured that when we have a definitive ship date you, our community, will be the first to know.

Please know that we would love to get Basis in your hands. We were funded to do that with a Series A just this year, in March. The team (most of whom joined since March) are working hard to ensure that you get the best, most polished product on the market.

The intent of these forums is to get feedback from all of you and funnel that into the product. Whether it's questions about the ship date, or feedback on band colors and sensors, you have been AMAZING and enormously supportive.

We deeply appreciate hearing from you. Please keep the ideas coming!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-10-28, 12:25

jdcfsu and I talked briefly on Twitter about the Jawbone Up. That looks like an awesome product that measures your movement habits, eating habits, and sleep patterns. That would be something worth checking out.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Eugene
careful with axes

2011-10-29, 21:53

My feeling is that an Apple scale would have a completely glossy surface with no visible LCD area until you step on it. An Apple logo would be present to correctly orient the scale.

My own scale is a fairly utilitarian Omron unit. It's fairly convenient for measuring changes in body fat/muscle percentage over time.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-10-29, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
My own scale is a fairly utilitarian Omron unit. It's fairly convenient for measuring changes in body fat/muscle percentage over time.
Same here.

We got one just over a month ago, chiefly to track BMI and body fat percentage over time. As my wife has been working out a lot lately (and I've been shamelessly sitting on my ass), it's done a great job of measuring and tracking her progress. I'm hoping to get some more use out of it soon, too.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-29, 23:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
As my wife has been working out a lot lately (and I've been shamelessly sitting on my ass), it's done a great job of measuring and tracking her progress. I'm hoping to get some more use out of it soon, too.
Brad: You're married now? Boy, how time flies... Congratulations!

Don't let your wife get too far ahead of you! You're supposed to be equal partners. If one of you gets too far or too good at something, it's going to put the other at a disadvantage. So, get in shape too, and your marriage will be stronger than ever.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-10-30, 12:55

Apple makes me weight too much.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2011-11-01, 06:52

At my age what do i want scales for?

I can get depressed enough on my own. Thank you very much.