Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Buck Rogers on DVD

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Buck Rogers on DVD
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-01-07, 23:40

Last year I bought the complete DVD series for the old 1980's Buck Rogers TV show. It is FANTASTIC!!! The special effects are INCREDIBLE!!!! Princess Ardala is teh sexgoddess and Wilma Deering's got more camel showing than any one starlet should be allowed. The best part about the first season or two are all the guest stars... it's a calvacade of talented-but-aging famous Hollywood stars who are on the downhill side of their celebrity. Don't miss the episode where Gary Coleman plays the President of the Galaxy! Gil Gerard has had plenty of potshots aimed at him since the series went off the air but I remember thinking he was very cool when I was a kid. The rubber monster suits and the misaligned optical effects aren't nearly as bad as anything from my favorite Dr. Who episodes but they're close. It's amazing how much T&A they were showing in the 80's (disco was obviously still making itself felt in the early episodes).

I'm up to the 4th Disc where they go out on 'The Searcher' doing a Star Trek-ish cruise through the galaxy, this is when Hawkman makes his debut... a dude who has feathers on his head instead of hair and a big black leathery suit. I remember that he and his ship were so cool that we *almost* didn't notice that Mel Blanc stopped doing the voice of Twikki for half of the episodes.

If you grew up watching this show in the 80's you really need to get this collection~

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-01-07, 23:42

"Diggi Diggi Diggi"
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-01-07, 23:47

Ah! He's back! In an episode where mummy-people live on a volcanic planet... they must have met his price! Gah, the fill-in voice for Twikki was beyond terrible, it was like Big Bird on lithium. And I always hear him saying it as "Biggy, Biggy, Biggy"

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-08, 01:46

I loved that show as a kid.

You know, that was actually a theatrical movie. I'm 98% sure I saw some Buck Rogers movie - with Gil Gerard and the ever-hot Erin Gray - in the theater.

There was the Draconian something-or-other...Marauder? The bad guy's ships? Sorry...after 20-plus years, I can't tell my Cylon Raiders from my Draconian Marauders. The shame...

There was also a pretty awful (although at the time, I dug it to no end) Flash Gordon movie. Queen did the soundtrack, and yes...I had it on 8-track.

Pretty much between 1978-1980 there were about 12,659 sci-fi movies, TV shows, one-offs, rip-offs, pilots, Saturday morning shows, etc. all trying to cash in on the "Star Wars" craze.

And I watched every damn one of them.

If you could show a star field and something blowing up in it (due to red or green laser bolts) you were guaranteed at least SOME viewership (little mop-headed, tube-socked goons like me, basically, who couldn't get enough "outer space stuff").

I liked Buck Rogers though. I watched the show all the time. I had a model kit of Buck Rogers Starfighter, which I took carefully took a Bic lighter to, in an effort to give it some "grime and battle scars"...just darkened/singed the plastic so it wasn't so pristine.

And Erin Gray is STILL quite attractive...but yeah, on the show and in that white suit she wore...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-01-08 at 01:55.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-01-08, 10:59

Buck Rogers and BSG:TOS = disco in space.

Still loved both shows as a kid though.

Still remember the episode where Buck dug up some 20th Meatloaf for Twiki to dig on.