Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Picked up MacBook PRO!! Thanks!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Picked up MacBook PRO!! Thanks!
designerguy

2007-06-23, 21:46

*Posted this on the apple site too:

Thanks for all the feedback and advice for making my decision to get the macbook pro!!!

I LOVE THIS THING!! Long time apple user since apple II Plus days and never had the guts to goto the high end laptops...but always admired them. Have used the desktop towers since day one for both home and professional usage. I have to say that after reading all the probs folks were having on this site and others I was going to wait a few months until things smoothed out. Glad I didn't!!

I'm a graphic designer by career and have no prob so far w/the screen (knock on wood). I think it's awesome. Have no idea what the other posts are talking about w/the yellow hue? Have not noticed any flickering with this laptop or at the store. I work with color correct monitors all day and see no probs with this screen. It's not perfectly calibrated, of course, because it's a lap top. Some folks complained about the whites not being white but when you calibrate the screen to a semi decent state whites are never to be white (at least doing print work).

I did avoid doing the latest system X update because many had posted that doing so killed their net access ability. I'm surfing now wirelessly for the past few hours and have no probs on that front either. Using Dlink router b/g.

Heat wise..have not loaded the processor yet.

Tested out the ichat and have to say that it's been my best experience using ichat. The streaming images were smooth and not choppy/pixelated like I've experienced before.

I picked up the ibook a few years ago for a home system and regreted not getting the Pro grade system. Well worth the wait for the revised screen and new chip set.

Over all i'm in mac heaven.
rampancy

2007-06-23, 23:46

Congrats designerguy! FWIW, I jumped to 10.4.10 on my own C2D MBP (late-2006) and everything seems to be working fine.

PS: You did buy AppleCare, right?...
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-06-24, 01:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampancy View Post
Congrats designerguy! FWIW, I jumped to 10.4.10 on my own C2D MBP (late-2006) and everything seems to be working fine.

PS: You did buy AppleCare, right?...
he's got a year to do it...
designerguy

2007-06-24, 04:39

After spending that kinda $$ I'm going to wait a few months to get the apple care. But yes I will get it.

Thanks!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-06-24, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by designerguy View Post
Thanks for all the feedback and advice for making my decision to get the macbook pro!!!

I LOVE THIS THING!! [snip]

I have to say that after reading all the probs folks were having on this site and others I was going to wait a few months until things smoothed out. Glad I didn't!!

I'm a graphic designer by career and have no prob so far w/the screen (knock on wood). I think it's awesome. Have no idea what the other posts are talking about w/the yellow hue? Have not noticed any flickering with this laptop or at the store. I work with color correct monitors all day and see no probs with this screen.

I did avoid doing the latest system X update because many had posted that doing so killed their net access ability. I'm surfing now wirelessly for the past few hours and have no probs on that front either. Using Dlink router b/g.

Over all i'm in mac heaven.
It's great to read this, designerguy.

I confess that after I read about various MB and MBP problems on the boards, I become cowardly and decide to just 'keep waiting'.

So it's nice to read your elated report.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-06-24, 19:11

Windswept, I had the same fear when I ordered my MBP back in the winter, especial after looking at the Apple Discussions, but aside from the software bug in 10.4.10 that has lead to a popping sound with external speaks (when there is no sound output) its been trouble free.
designerguy

2007-06-24, 22:10

Windswept: Thanks! I felt it was necessary to post a postive report after reading all of the doom and gloom over every aspect of the MacBook Pro.

I think that if you only read the apple support forum you would wonder how apple stays in business. HA! Or if you read all these rumor sites you keep waiting for the next mac to be re-designed so you don't get the "old" model.

BTW: I still have not loaded the latest OS update but will do after i do a back up. I also just loaded MAME and all of my adobe software works like a charm on this thing. I'm not a high processor load gamer so I don't think i'll be putting the chip through it paces ...except for photoshop editing.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-06-25, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Windswept, I had the same fear when I ordered my MBP back in the winter, especial after looking at the Apple Discussions, but aside from the software bug in 10.4.10 that has lead to a popping sound with external speaks (when there is no sound output) its been trouble free.
Thanks for mentioning this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designerguy View Post
I think that if you only read the apple support forum you would wonder how apple stays in business.
Well, exactly. I often have that very feeling after reading a particularly troubling thread.

I become especially cowardly when I read about difficulties that *major* Apple geeks are having. I figure if 'they' can't figure out how to solve the current rash of problems, then there is absolutely no hope for someone like 'me'.