User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iphone and flash

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iphone and flash
tannenhauser

2009-03-10, 09:21

hello, can anyone tell me when flash is coming to the iphone?
ive been reading stuff online but everywhere it just says "very soon" and some of these articles date back to middle of '08
how soon is it really coming?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-03-10, 09:31

Nobody knows. That's why you haven't found a solid date yet.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-03-10, 10:06

It's not even a question of "when", but "if". So far, there's no definite proof that Apple is working on it / will approve a third-party's work on it.
tannenhauser

2009-03-10, 10:09

faaak!
well. crap. my client has a website but its in flash. they want people to be able to access their website on the iphone even if its just a tiny 1 page version of their site. is there a way to tell the iphone that when you navigate to their site to automatically jump to the minihtml version of their site rather than load the flash one?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-03-10, 10:19

You could do it the same way ESPN does:

Code:
<script language="Javascript"> if((navigator.userAgent.match(/iPhone/i)) || (navigator.userAgent.match(/iPod/i))) { if (document.cookie.indexOf("iphone_redirect=false") == -1) window.location = "http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/?iphone&i=COMR"; } </script>
Obviously, you'd change the window.location attribute to point to the appropriate page. I don't remember if there's a way to turn off javascript on the iPhone, though. If there is, those people would need a text link.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-03-10, 10:23

There is a way to turn off Javascript in Safari preferences on the iPhone (default = ON, IIRC).

iPhone Navigation = Settings -> Safari
tannenhauser

2009-03-10, 10:58

omg thank you!
so where would i put this code in order for it to work? under object body? head?
sorry i dont know how to code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
You could do it the same way ESPN does:

Code:
<script language="Javascript"> if((navigator.userAgent.match(/iPhone/i)) || (navigator.userAgent.match(/iPod/i))) { if (document.cookie.indexOf("iphone_redirect=false") == -1) window.location = "http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/?iphone&i=COMR"; } </script>
Obviously, you'd change the window.location attribute to point to the appropriate page. I don't remember if there's a way to turn off javascript on the iPhone, though. If there is, those people would need a text link.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-03-10, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannenhauser View Post
faaak!
well. crap. my client has a website but its in flash. [..]
Quote:
[..]
sorry i dont know how to code
No offense, but perhaps you should find commission who can, then. This problem doesn't sound well-solved to me simply by redirecting somewhere else.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-03-10, 12:22

Umm, yeah. You have no business having Web site clients if you don't know where to put that.
tannenhauser

2009-03-10, 12:23

why so negative? im just asking for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
No offense, but perhaps you should find commission who can, then. This problem doesn't sound well-solved to me simply by redirecting somewhere else.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-03-10, 12:27

Quote:
why so negative? im just asking for help.
I think the issue is you said you had a client and you wanted to manipulate his website, then said you really didn't know how to do it. Half-assing a client's website is a sure way to get your name spread around via word of mouth and not in a good way.

Either hire someone who knows what the hell they're doing, recommend your client to someone who knows what they're doing or do nothing at all until you get educated in website scripting. Referring your client to someone who knows what they are doing will work out better for you in the end, than learning on the fly with a customer's site.
tannenhauser

2009-03-10, 12:33

wow ok. thanks guys...
i am not a webdesigner builder programmer whatever
i have a client who i am doing print for. they have a flash website and need people to be able to access it with the iphone. they do not have money to get a programmer and wanted to know if i could help them out somehow so i came here to see if any of you geniuses could help. sorry i asked.
chucker

2009-03-10, 12:52

Quote:
wow ok. thanks guys...
i have a client who i am doing print for. they have a flash website and need people to be able to access it with the iphone. they do not have money to get a programmer and wanted to know if i could help them out somehow so i came here to see if any of you geniuses could help. sorry i asked.
You did get your answer from Wyatt.

My issue is that you're either fooling yourself, or your client, or the two of you into thinking that pasting a line of code somewhere will "make things work". You're welcome to head over to the Programmer's Nook (where this thread arguably belongs, more so than here, anyway) and ask for specific help, but you'll still want to have someone with an actual understanding of Web development to take a look at the site. I have a hard time believing any serious client cares enough to have their site work on an iPhone, but not enough to have it work well.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2009-03-10, 12:54

tennenhauser, your posts imply you are charging for the information you are getting here. As paid professionals, the folks here that have offered info have standards you presently don't meet.

Something you might consider:

The geniuses here CAN help, but you're asking for freebies and are keeping them from the contract by picking their brains and billing the hours yourself.

real hackers don't use sigs
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-03-10, 12:54

I don't think it has to come this.

I'm not sure what the easiest, safest answer would be to your original question.

The others were offering - based on what they knew - pretty sound advice, I thought. You don't want to be the guy who screws up a company's site because you weren't 100% sure of where to put something. That's all they were saying.

On the other thing, you'd have to find out from someone (not me...I don't do this stuff either) where to put that script.

I think, despite how it might've sounded, folks here were just trying to save you from jumping into an alligator pit, or getting yourself into some deep and tricky.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-03-10, 13:24

I think everybody here has spoken clearly. If you aren't qualified to do Web development, you need to tell your client that. Period. If you've lead them to believe otherwise, you bigger problem that none of us can help you with.

Save your client's time and save yourself some major embarrassment. Tell them to find somebody else to help with their Web site. Client-paid work is not the place to learn the basics of a new field. If you want to learn how to make a Web site, do that on your own time.

Nobody here is being mean. You're in a bad situation, and I feel sorry for you. This is very likely to end in embarrassment for you, as I've already said, and I do feel bad for you. However, the question you asked about the script is basic enough that anybody with even a few weeks Web design/development experience shouldn't need to ask for help.

I feel bad for your client too, though. If they're expecting you to do this based on something you've said to them, they're going to be really pissed.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-03-10, 15:12

Quote:
wow ok. thanks guys...
tannenhauser,

I was just trying to save you from BSing yourself into a corner that will look much worse to your client later than being straight with him right now. I speak from experience and was hoping to save you the same fate.