User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Dock with Optical Audio Out

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Dock with Optical Audio Out
splacid

2011-10-24, 19:39

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't seem to be able to find an iPod/iPhone dock with optical audio output (S/PDIF or TOSLINK). I'd like to be able to play audio from my iPod/iPhone on a new soundbar I bought for my TV. Can anyone suggest a solution for this?
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2011-10-26, 01:48

Getting digital audio out of an iPod is impossible, as far as I know.

Taking a different tack, you could buy an AirPort Express, which has optical output, and play your music over it via a Mac, iTunes, and AirPlay. I know this doesn't solve your stated problem, though.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-10-26, 06:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by splacid View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't seem to be able to find an iPod/iPhone dock with optical audio output (S/PDIF or TOSLINK). I'd like to be able to play audio from my iPod/iPhone on a new soundbar I bought for my TV. Can anyone suggest a solution for this?

Wadia 170iTransport iPod transport with S/PDIF digital audio output

Dorian, might want to look at this, too. Wadia is a high-end audio company, but they came out with this a few years ago. I think it used to be much more expensive, but now you can get it for $250:

http://www.amazon.com/Wadia-170iTran.../dp/B001UKN9GG

Cambridge Audio also makes one for $300:

http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audi.../dp/B004KSKYUE
splacid

2011-10-26, 14:59

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm beginning to realize Apple's solution for this is Apple TV, but that doesn't address what happens when I want to dock my friends' iPods/iPhones. Oh well!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-10-26, 22:45

And line out of the dock connector isn't good enough for those situations? I get that you might have some really high quality encoding on your personal device but do you think your friends will too?

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-10-26, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Getting digital audio out of an iPod is impossible, as far as I know.
I was under this impression too. I thought the Digital to analog converter was inline with both the headphone jack and the proprietary port, and without some soldering there isn't a way to bypass it.

I may be wrong tho, or maybe that was just the case with the Classic. Now I may be confused...

User formally known as Sh0eWax
splacid

2011-10-26, 22:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
And line out of the dock connector isn't good enough for those situations? I get that you might have some really high quality encoding on your personal device but do you think your friends will too?
The issue is that my soundbar only has inputs for optical audio and HDMI, not line in.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-10-26, 23:00

I gave links to two products that do what the OP asked. Well, not the optical part. But you can buy a converter for spdif to toslink, if you need it.
splacid

2011-10-26, 23:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
I gave links to two products that do what the OP asked. Well, not the optical part. But you can buy a converter for spdif to toslink, if you need it.
Thanks. The products you linked to are pretty expensive (almost the same price as the soundbar itself!) I was hoping for a simple dock around $50 at most.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-10-26, 23:06

Quote:
Thanks. The products you linked to are pretty expensive (almost the same price as the soundbar itself!) I was hoping for a simple dock around $50 at most.
I don't think there's anything cheaper.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-10-26, 23:17

Quote:
The issue is that my soundbar only has inputs for optical audio and HDMI, not line in.
You need an AV receiver.