AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: BattleNova 2 starts 2014-07-11 at 21:00 EDT

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: BattleNova 2 starts 2014-07-11 at 21:00 EDT
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-21, 20:12

Just a reminder since this was buried several pages deep into the original AppleNova UHC thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Oh yes, about that! We should totally make this a monthly gig!

I was thinking the first Friday of the month, but next month's first Friday is July 4th and people probably have other plans. How about the second Friday of the month? For July, that would put it on the 11th.
A few people replied affirmative, but I wanted to put this reminder front and center so it wouldn't be missed!

Will you be joining the party on July 11th?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-21, 20:28

Also, we should outline a few rules here now that we've been through the exercise once.
  • Last team standing wins. This is the simple definition of the game! Once all other teams have been eliminated either through battle or incompetence, the last team (or person) surviving will be declared the winner.
  • Accept and use the server resource/texture pack. Use of x-ray packs or other texture packs will be considered cheating and will get your team disqualified.
  • No exploring, mining, or crafting until I announce that the game has officially started. Once we've split off into our teams and teleported to our starting places, we need to give the server and clients a minute or so to generate the world and catch up. I will be erasing everyone's inventories when the game officially starts. So, you're only hurting yourself by jumping the gun!
  • No branch mining. You can dig down to search for caves or to escape death, but don't deliberately create branch mines for finding diamonds and other resources. That's just not in the spirit of the game.
  • If you're having software/network problems, announce it in chat and try reconnecting or restarting your local game. Also announce when you've returned so everyone is aware that you're back. Using CheatyVision™, becoming The Invisible Man, or otherwise breaking the normal expected behavior of the game will be considered team-disqualifying offenses next time.
  • If you think there's something wrong with the game, please announce it in chat. Assuming no one is in the heat of battle, we should call a quick truce to resolve the situation.
  • Disconnect after no more than 2 minutes of dying, and stay out until the game is over. Unless I can come up with a reasonable solution for throwing people into spectator mode or "jailing" them somewhere near the center after death, you should shed your tears and wish your teammates goodbye once you have died. Someone will certainly post on the forums once the game is over.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2014-06-21, 22:13

After one is out, should they rejoin in the General TS channel for the post-game party? Looking forward to it!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-22, 01:00

That's MY plan-- go directly back to the main chat room.

Suggested additions:

Do Not Visit OTHER Team Chats Once You Are Dead - they're busy, no kibbutzing please.

Gentleman's Agreement Starts - no PvP (player versus player) during first day/night. Let people have a fighting chance at the very beginning.

Don't Assume Role of Team Captain - unless you've been elected.

Do Not Logoff To Use Restroom - figure out a place to hide, take your chances.

Final Duel Channel - in some years of UHC the final two combatants will talk via Skype when they're having a final duel. That might be fun via TeamSpeak. Might be fun to let dead players audit the audio of the remaining teams at the finale; not sure how that would work though.

For what it's worth, I've noticed that some of the lag in previous years of UHC is related to people being near the walls, forcing chunks outside bounds to load, slowing play for all.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-22, 01:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Gentleman's Agreement Starts - no PvP (player versus player) during first day/night.
But... it's... eternal day... OOOH you clever bastard!

Otherwise, they all look like fine additions. Though, I'm not quote sure how we'd get a "final duel" channel working, especially if it's a hurried fight. No time to pause to go switch rooms when you're blinded with bloodlust.

SpecMode
Wait what

2014-06-22, 02:58

I agree with the "Gentleman's Agreement" rule – it lets you avoid things like what happened at the start of UHC Season 11.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-06-22, 09:49

But nobody's going to be fighting at the very beginning unless they happen to spawn right near each other, and then they'd both be ill-equipped for battle, so they'd still be on a level playing field…

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-22, 13:49

Quote:
But... it's... eternal day... OOOH you clever bastard!
My bad, I was watching Season 8, where they had day/night cycles.

In UHC they have the server set to issue an announcment to let everyone know when to begin a new episode (usually a 20 minute marker, a 40 minute marker, 60, 80, etc), I suppose THAT's what I mean by day/night cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
I agree with the "Gentleman's Agreement" rule – it lets you avoid things like what happened at the start of UHC Season 11.
Yes, thanks for the links Spec - we don't want to have that happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
But nobody's going to be fighting at the very beginning unless they happen to spawn right near each other, and then they'd both be ill-equipped for battle, so they'd still be on a level playing field…
Right, Robo, but BattleNova isn't just about kill-kill-kill, it's also about the fun of getting equipped and then fighting.

The reason they do it for UHC is so that there's at least a little bit of interesting video for each player's channel.
We're not there yet (if ever) with regard to everybody having a video capture of their adventure, but it still seems the cool thing to do.

Captain Drew on Twitter
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-22, 17:01

Unless something comes up, Jess and I will be there!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-22, 23:26

I plan to be there. I'm looking forward to it too!
SpecMode
Wait what

2014-07-02, 01:16

Only a week and a half left to prepare!

My Minecraft machine got a pretty sweet upgrade today – a Core i7 980X CPU rescued from a 'junk' bin at work. It was in a tray along with a bunch of AMD chips; my guess is the servers/workstations housing them were being thrown out, and someone pulled these knowing that us lab monkeys would pick through the bin for useful stuff and find them a new home. It would have gone into one of our lab machines...but we don't have anything with an LGA1366 motherboard that doesn't already have a higher-end CPU.

Works perfectly, and on top of adding a couple of extra cores, it's clocked a good bit faster to boot. Whether that and the extra 6GB of RAM will help fix my CheatyVision™ next week...well, I guess we'll have to wait and see.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-07-02, 07:21

I wiped off my screen some.

¡Damned!

2014-07-02, 21:34

Looks like I'll be in as well.

I need to test out the headphone/talk thingy beforehand, but maybe I'll catch one of y'all this coming weekend and someone could confirm that it works.

So it goes.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-07-02, 21:53

FWIW, UHC 17 started. They're going single this season.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-07-02, 22:14

Thanks for the reminder, Spec!

I've been buried under work lately, but I fully intend to make time for BattleNova next Friday! I plan to record the event again, and I hope more people try recording and sharing on YouTube too.

As before, I'll need a final headcount absolutely no later than 7:30 PM EDT on Friday, July 11th. If you're planning to join the game, please let us know in this thread by then! I will be randomly generating and posting the teams by 8:00 in preparation of starting the game at 9:00.

So far, the roster includes:
  • BradSmith
  • Captain_Drew
  • grendagle7
  • greychristian
  • RowdyScot
  • SpecMode
  • turle2472
  • Whammerslammer
There's still lots of space left for Robo, Ely, Bryson, IJak/TPoit, and more. I'll ask offline if gerlocian is interested in joining again and if JewelTheDragon would like to join this motley crew.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-07-02, 22:23

I will be streaming on Twitch.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-07-02, 22:26

GAH!!! I *so* want to capture video too... stupid laptop.

Will I be able to stream on Twitch on a Macbook Pro?

I need to get some sponsors to buy me a gaming machine.

At least I'm ordering my gaming mouse soon, ensuring that I die within the first 5 minutes, killed by a chicken.

Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2014-07-02, 23:46

Just so you all know… Friday night around 9-10ish is my time to start imbibing… so. yeah.

You may hear swear words.

FYI.

[edit]: apparently I need recording devices. I'll need to test those as well. *Why* someone wants to see me hunt and kill WS immediately? Dunno.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2014-07-02 at 23:58.
SpecMode
Wait what

2014-07-03, 00:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
You may hear swear words.

FYI.
You haven't actually watched any of those UHC videos yet, have you? Kurt's and Etho's might be pretty clean, but then you have Pause, and Guude, and Pyro, and...well, just about any of the rest of them. Polite conversation it is not.
¡Damned!

2014-07-03, 08:55

I did watch a couple/few of the UHC videos, but, I dunno, I guess watching isn't my thing. It's aggravating. They make bad decisions and I just can't do it any more.

Watching the AN stuff I have no problem with because I know you people and it's filled with LOLs.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-07-03, 09:51

Grey I've become a big fan of some of the guys - BdoubleO cracks me up when I listen to him. Ethos is actually a terrific player.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-07-03, 10:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
*Why* someone wants to see me hunt and kill WS immediately? Dunno.
I knew that was coming!

See you on the battlefield old man!

Uh, what we gonna do if Brad slaps us on the same team?
becca

Send a message via AIM to becca  
2014-07-03, 14:26

I would like to play too, please.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-07-03, 14:30

Oooooooh! Another girl. Grendagle will be so happy!

Unless you're on opposite teams, in which case she will shoot you in the face just the same!
becca

Send a message via AIM to becca  
2014-07-03, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Unless you're on opposite teams, in which case she will shoot you in the face just the same!
I expect nothing less!!!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-07-03, 14:43

Quote:
There's still lots of space left for Robo…
HahahahahahaNO. I don't want you all to find out that I'm secretly terrible at Minecraft

also my voice sounds super girly on skype

But I will be a super excited spectator!!! I'll be sad if you, Drew, and Rowdy aren't on the same team though

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-07-03, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
But I will be a super excited spectator!!!
In that case, I propose a new rule: Twitch and YouTube videos must be set up with super special double private access so ONLY BattleNova participants can view them.

Sorry Robo. Gotta pay to play. Wait that analogy isn't quite right. Gotta play to... play? Play to watch? I'm no good with words.

¡Damned!

2014-07-03, 16:50

I've just been going through a couple hundred PMs saying that WS is a scaredy-cat little twerp and that I should slay him immediately, but imma let him live for a bit. Not long, just a bit.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-07-03, 17:19

You can't win, Grey. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine!
¡Damned!

2014-07-03, 18:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Uh, what we gonna do if Brad slaps us on the same team?
Gentleman's honor. We work together until the last, and if you are still standing we do 20 paces. No armor, no weapons, no shit. Mano y mano. We flail at each other like highschool scratch-whores. OK?

So it goes.