Star Wars: Andor

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Star Wars: Andor
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-26, 14:13

Holy smokes-a-lot!

Disney is busney!

Andor is on its way to our streamy-box-things, and wow! The trailer looks amazing, the score is incredible, and there's a whole lot of indication of civil-war-type craziness happening.

Meeza so happy!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2022-05-26, 14:26

Worth putting this article here for a bit more of a deep dive from the showrunner:

Andor Star Wars Series: “What You Know Is Really All Wrong”

Sounds amazing... and from the trailer will look it too.

So it goes.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-05-26, 14:43

That looks exactly like Rogue One and absolutely something I'm going to enjoy.

That aesthetic is phenomenal and I'm so glad they're going back to it.

Theoretically, this opens the possibility of Felicity Jones coming back, right?

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-26, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Worth putting this article here for a bit more of a deep dive from the showrunner:

Andor Star Wars Series: “What You Know Is Really All Wrong”

Sounds amazing... and from the trailer will look it too.
Sounds like they're shooting big, and I hope they hit the target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Theoretically, this opens the possibility of Felicity Jones coming back, right?
That seems like a stretch, but it certainly is possible.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-26, 14:52

I was about to post that. Disney being Disney, I found it odd that they chose to build a show around probably one of the more bland characters I've ever seen. Felicity Jones held the screen (in a way that Daisy Ridley just didn't, sorry). Hell, that robot did too, as well as some of those other characters. But if they center it around Andor, maybe that opens up some possibilities for others to cameo.

PS - I like that logo at the end, with the negative-space "O". That and the Ahsoka branding are sharp.

If nothing else, we'll get some shows with some nice title designs.

One funny thing that always jumps out at me, in this trailer and the ones for Obi-Wan Kenobi, since both shows are set between Episodes 3 and 4...a newcomer or youngster - watching everything in chronological order and not being aware of when they were all actually produced - might be inclined to wonder, upon reaching 1977's A New Hope (after seeing Andor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Solo and Rogue One) "hey, where did all the women and black people go?!"

At some point in that ~20 years between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, it appears the Empire was actively recruiting women, and people of color were all over the place - in leading roles, even! Then A New Hope hits and suddenly there's one woman in the mix. And you don't see another black person until about halfway through The Empire Strikes Back, three years later.

We all know why it is - modern productions being more diverse and inclusive and all - but someone not old enough to realize that, or to know when things were filmed, might be sitting there going "things sure got awfully white all of a sudden! Damn, what else was the Empire purging?!"

You watch the trailers for the Disney+ fare and it's a Benetton commercial with lightsabers and spaceships. Then you get to A New Hope and it's like a...well, an Abercrombie & Fitch campaign. Hell, it's whiter than "Hee-Haw"...at least Charley Pride would occasionally show up there.

Just amusing/interesting to me, that slight wobble/disconnect, based purely on the filming timelines/eras and the changing attitudes/acceptance and widening of depictions and casting. And if you took in the entire saga, chronologically, it might kinda jump out in a couple of places.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-05-26 at 15:41.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-27, 08:19

I was discussing this show with my daughter and it was great. She's seen Rouge One so she actually gets the concept on this one. Pretty wild that my daughter is joining the SW fan ranks well. It also helps that her friends are fans of Star Wars as well.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-27, 16:52

I'm posting this over here, because I'm avoiding the Obi Wan thread until I get a chance to watch it with my daughter — Monday — and I don't want any spoilers!

'Cause you guys just can't shut up!

At any rate, I just love how passionate these folks are about Star Wars (even Kathleen Kennedy) and cannot wait to see all of the fun things they're working on.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-27, 16:55

If people use spoiler tags, as I'm doing, it shouldn't matter. With spoiler tags, nobody has to shut up. It's up to you to not click that dark square.

It's a good time to be a fan of this stuff.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-08-01, 11:05

New trailer. Coming September 21.

All I have time for right now is
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-01, 11:14

Three episode premier? How many episodes are supposed to be in the season?
¡Damned!

2022-08-01, 11:20

12 episodes for season one, and it's already been renewed for a second, final season.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-08-01, 13:07

Definitely looking forward to this probably as much as, or more, than any of the other shows.

Rogue One is my favorite Star Wars movie and digging into this story is definitely interesting.

It would be great if Felicity Jones ends up making an appearance here. I remember reading her original contract said she would appear in 3 movies, but obviously, that's not happening. Maybe they use some of that planned story line in this?

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-08-01, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Rogue One is my favorite Star Wars movie and digging into this story is definitely interesting.
Ditto. Rogue One was amazing. It was well-written, well-acted, and the story was close to perfect. Great film.

Diggin into Andor's past isn't something I was expecting, but there is definitely room for it, and I'm super excited for this one. Ahsoka is the show I'm looking forward to most, followed by Obi Wan. The others are exciting, but as we get closer to each release, my interest rises. Naturally, previews can make a show look better than it turns out to be (I would have to say this was true of Boba, the prequels, the sequels, and Solo), but that is all we have to go on until the thing gets released and we get to know all of these new (and used) characters.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-08-01, 21:28

I finally caught the trailer. This is the 21st century equivalent of a WW2 movie. Commandos, secret plans, all of it. I'm sure it'll be fun. Mom took one look and noped out - it's got nothing she likes. Star Wars can target all sorts of audiences now. Tons of latitude. TONS.

¡Damned!

2022-09-12, 09:44

One last trailer before release later this month. There's also an extended interview with Tony Gilroy & Diego Luna on Disney+ right now that contains a bit of extra footage and some extended scenes. Looks really good.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-09-12, 10:48

Can't wait! This has the potential to be great, because we know so little about the characters.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-09-20, 11:17

Tomorrow!!
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2022-09-20, 11:50

Losing my shit about this. Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett don't dig into areas I care about, but thiiiiiis does.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-09-20, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Losing my shit about this. Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett don't dig into areas I care about, but thiiiiiis does.
I know someone else who is absolutely smitten with this pocket of the Star Wars universe and feels that it has enough structure to build from for a long, long time.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2022-10-17, 14:02

Started out kind of slow but these last few episodes have been amazing. Story, characters, acting - all just great. It may be my favorite live action SW series so far, even above Mando.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-17, 14:06

I still haven't been able to watch any other episodes. My kids are behind in their studies and have no "fun screens" so I'm holding out to watch it with them.

I'm really looking forward to it though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-11-04, 13:13

This show is still on fire.

It's not just a great Star Wars series. (In fact, it's maybe some of the best Star Wars.)

It's a great series. You probably don't need to be a Star Wars fan to enjoy this. It's positively dripping with tension and drama, and (very small barely a spoiler)
Spoiler (click to toggle):
none of it has anything to do with Jedis or the Force. GTFO of here, Skywalkers!
Obviously the series is set in the Star Wars universe and looks and feels like it's between the prequels and the original trilogy, and it probably helps to recognize some of the names, but much like The Mandalorian season 1, it doesn't require any of that knowledge to tell a captivating story.

There are very few changes I would make to this show. A droid plays some comic relief in the first episode, which I was afraid was going to be some stupid running gag, but thankfully that was just a one-and-done before moving on. I'd cut that, but honestly, that's the only thing that comes to mind. I'm not going to spoiler-tag that.

Somehow I assumed this was only an 8-episode run. So many series these days have weird short seasons. 6 of this, 8 of those, 10 of that. So, I was excited to learn a couple weeks ago that Andor has 12 episodes, and we have three more left.

Season 2 was already publicly confirmed and announced months ago. So, we're sure to end this one on a big cliffhanger. I hope this season provides some tangible resolutions, at least.

If you haven't started watching Andor yet, I'd highly recommend it to just about anyone.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-11-04, 13:19

I still haven't started yet. My kids aren't caught up in their other responsibilities yet.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-11-04, 13:29

Last night I posted on Facebook "I am tired of hearing people rave about the Star Wars show "Andor". I mean, they're all correct, but I'm just tired of hearing it."

Don't expect giant moments, but rather a complex, capable depiction of The Empire as it was experienced by the people it touched.