User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 14
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-09-12, 09:09

iPhone 14 Pro turns off Always on Display if you leave the room with an Apple Watch

This is super clever and makes a lot of sense. These are the types of things that come together when you have both the software and hardware working together across multiple devices.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-09-12, 09:15

Call me crazy, but remind me again why we need an always on display, at all? Hopefully you can turn that off in settingss.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-09-12, 09:45

I find myself tapping the screen every so often when my phone is near me to see the time. Sometimes, it just easier than trying to get my watch out of my sleeve or my hand is under something that makes it hard to do so.

It's not necessarily needed, but it's nice to have. Once the Apple Watch went to Always On, the experience seemed much better overall.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-09-12, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I didn't say YMCA
I know. It was just a silly joke.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-09-12, 10:43

I thought it was a fun, silly joke.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-12, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I know. It was just a silly joke.
Just another victim of doesn’t pan out well on the internet.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-13, 11:54

Quote:
Call me crazy, but remind me again why we need an always on display, at all? Hopefully you can turn that off in settingss.
I was thinking about this one too. If you start playing with widgets on your Home Screen it begins to make more sense. With the widgets then the idea is you see data at a glance with the screen always on. I would guess this means you are less likely to pick up the phone if you can see what you wanted to check on the screen.

Or you don't have a watch and want to be able to see what time it is if your phone is on a desk/table near you instead of your pocket.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-09-13, 12:22

They just need to build in an LCD screen so you can always see the time.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-09-13, 13:25

Quote:
Call me crazy, but remind me again why we need an always on display, at all?
Glances. What time is it, what’s my next appointment, etc.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-13, 15:04

Rise to wake already allows for that, but I can see why some people might want that, so they don’t have to pick up their phone.

I turned off rise to wake because it had too many false activations. To me always on is even worse.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-20, 09:16

"Go to Settings > Display & Brightness to turn off the Always-On display."

So pretty easy to turn off the always on display now for the Pro models.

I actually started playing with the "Focus" options recently now that I have greater flexibility with them. I was hesitant to bother with more than Sleep and normal DND.

Now though, I've setting custom wallpapers, icon/app layouts and notification managements based on the particular focus set. It is actually really helpful in certain situations. I'm still tweaking for sure, but overall enjoying getting some apps up front during certain focus times.

Really, I'm using it more location based than anything. So like when I show up to church it goes to a "Church" focus where the apps I use for church are on my home page and nothing else. Since my phone knows when I get to church, it is set automatically. This also mutes notifications from all but a select few, that kind of thing.

Of course, this also means the widgets on the lock screen are relevant to the location as opposed to any that aren't.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Tuaret

2022-10-03, 12:03

I like the fact that they changed his bangs on the screen, but that's the only external change. ::::::
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-10-03, 12:50

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-03, 13:21

Yeah, pretty rough that someone photoshopped a guy on screen.

Wonder if they did it in real life?

Fellow Apple enthusiast, Tuaret, what do you mean by your post? It is hard to follow.

¡Damned!

2022-10-03, 14:41

I believe our esteemed member Tuaret is saying that the notch being removed is akin to the top of the screen getting its bangs trimmed. No word yet on his feelings regarding the new 'pill' shape, which he probably considers a unibrow.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-03, 14:43

I think you might be right! Now go give me the answer to my MBP Safari bookmark problem. You nailed the last few things I've needed help with so why not this one too!