User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Tiger: Safari RSS Font Issue

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Tiger: Safari RSS Font Issue
t-young

2005-05-04, 16:27

i've been a lurker for quite some time and i've finally made my way to become a fully pledged member.

i come with a problem. not a problem per se, more like an issue.

upon tiger's full archive and install, i skimmed throughout most of the installation process missing a couple minor customization possibilities. one of these was the full font installation (fonts and languages that i don't even need.) well as soon as the installation was complete, i was compelled to delete all that unneeded junk to free up more hdd space when all i need my english alphabet fonts. so i went through all the fonts, one by one, in apple's font book and deleted the ones i figured were expendable. i deleted at least 20. so i get back in safari, surfed the internet for awhile, and i noticed that my RSS is all jacked up. apparently i must have deleted a critical font that RSS uses, but since it's gone it gives me a bunch of numbers and fractions instead of letters from the alphabet. which font did i delete that caused my RSS to mess up?

i know have a few obvious solutions at this point, archive and install being one of them but i feel if i just know which font to replace then i should be all good.

in advance, thanks for the help.

btw, tiger is kick ass.

http://www.greenerla.com/images/forum/sc_rss_safari.jpg
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-04, 16:29

Quit and relaunch Safari.

There's a rare bug where it'll garble fonts like that. I've seen it a just few times over a couple years of use. Relaunching Safari seems to fix it.

And please don't post giant images inline like that; it severely distorts and stretches the site for viewers on small screens.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
t-young

2005-05-04, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Quit and relaunch Safari
hehe, yes, that solution seems easy enough. i've relaunched, rebooted, shutdown, etc, and nothing. moreover, this garble also appears in adium's preference panel, not just safari. so i can narrow down the possibilities that this issue is 100% font related. any ideas Brad?
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-06-07, 01:04

Blast! I'm having the nutty garbled font with Safari RSS. Any further ideas would be welcomed. I had this sort of problem with Safari under Panther but I can't seem to resolve it. Not a huge deal because I use NewsFire for RSS, but annoying nonetheless.
t-young

2005-06-07, 02:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
Blast! I'm having the nutty garbled font with Safari RSS. Any further ideas would be welcomed. I had this sort of problem with Safari under Panther but I can't seem to resolve it. Not a huge deal because I use NewsFire for RSS, but annoying nonetheless.
heh, figuring it out was a pain in the ass. in hindsight, i'm glad i took the time to do it cuz i love safari RSS.

do this:
• launch the apple font book app (normally found in applications/utilities)
• find the font "Helvetica" > highlight it
• disable the "Helvetica" fraction fonts (by option-clicking)
• begin enjoying RSS in safari
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-06-07, 08:50

Thanks, I knew it was some rougue font that fixed it last time. Just couldn't remember which one.