Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Watches As Art

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Watches As Art
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-10-13, 09:24

Over in General Discussion Frank777 started a thread about a new watch from Fossil that has Bluetooth built in (click to go to that thread) which reminded me that I'd been flipping through a FANTASTIC book about watches at the bookstore last week. Forget about the "fine watches" you see at your local jewelers and online watch resellers. The things in this book are legitimate works of art, both in design and engineering.

Thus inspired, I went looking for some good websites about watches and found the Europa Star online magazine, which seems entirely devoted to watches... anybody else here interested in classic analog watches, watches you can't afford?

It's like a sports car, for your wrist.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-10-13, 09:51

Hey, did that book say anything about "21 jewel watches" from the old railroad companies?
Perfecting_Zero

2006-10-13, 10:07

A website of unabashed devotion to ultra-modern time-wear ranging from offbeat and avant-garde...to hopelessly esoteric time-telling kitsch:

http://www.tokyoflash.com/
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-10-13, 16:51

I heart Tokyoflash.

And the Fossil by Frank Gehry that I mentioned in the original thread is awesome, too.

Someday, when I have more money, I could see myself collecting unique clocks. It's just something that interests me, from a design standpoint. Designers are given a relatively strict set of rules to follow to tell time, but they can still make very unique timepieces. I'm dying to put that Pong clock in my room.

Maybe later I'll link to some of my favorite clocks, if y'all pester enough.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
CitizenTony

2006-10-13, 18:50

I love watches, or to be more precise, anything that tells time. Though I go for the more functional over stylish approach.

Some of you are Top Gear fans and Clarkson just did an article on wrist watches. It's somewhat funny and worth a read I guess.

I'm calling time on silly watches - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote:
Except of course, I can. Timex can sell you a reliable watch that has a back light for the hard of seeing, a compass, a stopwatch and a tool for restarting stricken nuclear submarines, all for £29.99. And that’s because the badge says Timex. Which is another way of saying that you have no style, no sense of cool and that you may drive a Hyundai.

To justify the enormous prices charged these days, watchmakers all have idiotic names, like Gilchrist & Soames, and they all claim to make timepieces for fighter pilots and space shuttle commanders and people who parachute from atomic bombs into power boats for a living. What’s more, all of them claim to have been doing this, in sheds in remote Swiss villages, for the last six thousand years.