User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Anyone excited about The Police reunion on tonight's Grammy Awards?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone excited about The Police reunion on tonight's Grammy Awards?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-11, 07:47

I hear they're supposed to open the show (which is great: I can watch them and then immediately bail before all the nonsense and bullcrap that is a typical Grammys broadcast kicks in).

Should be quite a thing. I believe they've only played twice together in 20-something years, both off-the-cuff, impromptu performances.

They're supposed to be touring this summer, and I guess tonight is our "first look". They've been rehearsing, so it shouldn't be a trainwreck. In any case they'll sound great because they're all top-notch players. I'm looking forward to it, and I hope they do about three or so songs. The Grammys should give them about 10-15 minutes, uninterrupted, IMO.

They were always one of my favorites, and I was a huge fan back in the early 80's (I didn't like "Sychronicity" much, but I was nuts about their early, first two albums Outlandos d'Amour and Reggatta de Blanc, and their third and fourth as well...but those first two, holy crap that's good stuff! ).

All their stuff is on iTunes, so some of you younger whippersnappers might want to check it out if all you know about them is "Every Breath You Take" and Sting's solo career.

They certainly stood out among all the arena metal wankers, synth knob twiddlers and pouty amateur noisemakers of the time, that's for sure. Honestly, they're probably one of the only successful, well-known bands from that time who could come back and do their thing and it not stink of a nostalgia-driven, "desperately trying to reclaim 80's glory" vibe.

Anyway, I'll be watching...and if their tour comes to Atlanta or Nashville, I'll most likely be there (provided tickets aren't $300 a pop or something insane like that ).

I loves me some Police.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-02-11, 09:11

The Police have been one of my favorites since I was a little kid, but I'm a little doubtful that they can pull off a great performance. These guys are all AARP members by now. Sort of like The Who making a new album; there's just no way it can possibly approach what they used to be. It might not be *bad*, but it won't be inspiring either.

I might watch a little, though generally all award shows are rubbish IMO. Little more than popularity contests rather than true merit-driven awards.

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-11, 09:20

No shit. That's why I'm not watching beyond the Police's opening segment.

They're not as old as The Who (and Stones)...they peaked in the early 80's, not the 60's or 70's, so you can't really put them in that same league.

Sting still makes interesting music and is still a major force in the industry (I think he's a bit of a pompous ass, but there's no denying his talent and creativity), and Andy and Stewart and killer, respected musicians and active in their pursuits. It isn't like they all "gave up music" and are just now "trying to get the magic back after working in other fields for 20 years".

This doesn't have the earmarks of a "no talent, one-hit-wonder from the 80's getting back to cash in", IMO.

We're not talking Animotion, Modern English or Romeo Void here (that's no slam on any of these bands, mind you...just saying the situation with The Police is different from them).

Yeah, as soon as they're done, so am I. I don't watch awards shows in general, but the Grammys in particular are pretty tough to take.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-02-11, 09:22

Who?
Why didn't they die before they got old? I want my money back.

Once you know a sound it's not a curiosity that you are compelled to explore, it's a safe place you know and return to from time to time. After you reach a certain age you stop exploring because you've mapped out the musical universe to a degree that suits you.... Robert Krulwich did a segment about the phenomenon a little while back on NPR, tune into his stories on science podcasts on iTunes to read more about that.

/wants to know when Pscates new album is coming out
//wonders if he'll play with Yontsey

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-02-11, 16:14

The Police were my favorite band 1982-1985. I never made the transition to being a Sting fan. I hope they pull it off for old time sake though (and to make Justin Timberlake look like the boring clod that he is). I can't watch it here but I suppose it will on YouTube soon enough. And I trust they'll keep the close-ups to a minimum. Damn, Andy Summers and Stu Copeland were ugly when they were 25!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-11, 16:42

Yikes...I just checked (out of curiosity because I remember him being quite a bit older than Stewart and Sting): Andy Summers is 65 (born in 1942)!!!

Definitely into Mick/Keith territory...I'm not expecting him to be pogo'ing around much tonight like he used to.

Sting and Stewart are both 55.

Holy crap I feel old all of a sudden...

Here's a recent pic. Not too bad (Stewart went grey and Sting's forehead is bigger than Kelsey Grammer's and Bill O'Reilly's combined...but they all still look like they did, pretty much. Although Andy looks a bit Photoshopped/softened in his face/neck area, I gotta say. I'll be curious to see what he - and the others - look like tonight):

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-11, 20:07

They sounded good. Like they always do. Too bad it was only one song, "Roxanne". I was hoping they'd do 2-3.

Then Jamie Foxx comes out to present something, acting like an ass, so I had to bail...
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2007-02-11, 20:11

Are you kidding me? Can anyone say "weak?" I think their sound was limp and uninspiring, in retrospect.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-02-11, 20:19

Aw shucks, I missed it.... saw all 30 seconds of Prince before Beyonce went on.... switching back to Ocean's Eleven for a few ....
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-11, 20:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Are you kidding me? Can anyone say "weak?" I think their sound was limp and uninspiring, in retrospect.
Sounded okay to me. Probably tough to get a feel on one song (especially when they went and altered that middle part to that airy, jazzier sound).

They were in tune, the vocals were good, Stewart was driving things well, etc.

I wasn't expecting them to outright suck (like the Stones did at last year's Super Bowl)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
.... switching back to Ocean's Eleven for a few ....
That's the greatest "guilty pleasure" movie ever. I'm watching it too! It's a total hoot. I love Don Cheadle's character.

"Ah, it'll be nice to work with proper villains again!"

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-02-11 at 20:40.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2007-02-11, 21:16

Actually, I thought the vocals were really limited and lacked the explosiveness that Sting had in the early part of his career. Something about the guitar was a little lacking, I can't place my finger one it.

Although I do agree we need to hear more.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-02-11, 21:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
That's the greatest "guilty pleasure" movie ever. I'm watching it too! It's a total hoot. I love Don Cheadle's character.
But not his horrendous, horrendous accent.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-02-11, 23:22

I totally agree, it's Ferd.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-02-12, 01:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
The Police have been one of my favorites since I was a little kid, but I'm a little doubtful that they can pull off a great performance. These guys are all AARP members by now. Sort of like The Who making a new album; there's just no way it can possibly approach what they used to be. It might not be *bad*, but it won't be inspiring either.
I thought Endless Wire was a pretty solid effort. Certainly classic Who sound but with some good songwriting and new signature townshend hooks.

Roger and pete have done well because they take care of themselves, Roger looks amazing for his age and Pete is suck a stickler for quality.

Anyways, other than their absurd ticket prices, I think the Who have not lost much (other than members )

Smokey Robinson is creepy
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-02-12, 09:22

Despite being a young (well, younger than some) whippersnapper, I love the Police. Outlandos d'Amour is one of my favourite albums and is actually the only Police album I own. I was pretty impressed with performance, especially given that I was bit worried Sting would play some bizarre interpretation of Roxanne on the lute or some other weirdo instrument. It was nice to see him using a busted up old bass.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-12, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan View Post
I was pretty impressed with performance, especially given that I was bit worried Sting would play some bizarre interpretation of Roxanne on the lute or some other weirdo instrument. It was nice to see him using a busted up old bass.

A totally valid concern, with him. That little breakdown they did in the middle veered into that "uh oh" territory a bit.

"Ah hell, here we go...Sting's gonna engage in a little musical/vocal masturbation and turd up an otherwise perfect song."

Allow me to quote David Spade, from his HBO standup performance "Take the Hit" (finally available on DVD and funny as can be!), talking about seeing R.E.M. in concert (after complaining about Stipe's morose demeanor and political speechifying between every song, "...for $52.50, no less!"):

"You know what? Just play 'Radio Free Europe' and then beat it! And make it sound like it does on the record...no funny stuff."

It's all in his delivery...you have to see it.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-02-12, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan View Post
I was bit worried Sting would play some bizarre interpretation of Roxanne on the lute or some other weirdo instrument.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-02-12, 14:48

didn't see it, but those punk rockers from the 70's and such can still play well...just this year i've seen the buzzcocks (they absolutely kicked ass...and they are easily in their 50's), just saw the english beat (ok, so it is just dave wakeling at this point) and he put on a very good show...missed the gang of four tour, but got the live album and it sounded good...all these 40, 50 and 60 year old rockers can still put on a show...

the ones from my era that i miss today and wish they were still touring are joe strummer and bob marley...you know they would both still be great today if god hadn't called them up to sing for him/her/it or dark matter

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2007-02-12, 14:54

So apparently they've decided to do a world tour. linky

News to me at least.