How are YOU watching the election?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How are YOU watching the election?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-11-03, 18:09

Hi everyone, long time reader, first time election bastard.

Just wondering if anyone is doing anything special for erection night? I'm sure there are plenty of events and the like going on in America, and millions of families will be huddled round CNN til day break. In the UK, we are having an election party, which will consist of us watching it come in on either BBC News Channel, or I heard rumours of MSNBC simulcasting in the UK on some channel - anyone know which?

Either way, I'm sure there a lot of people out there who smell real change for their country, not just in a practical sense, but in an entirely new outlook. For the rest of the world, we are looking forward to seeing a country lead by a man who is actually smarter than we are.

PS: RIP Barack's grandma.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2008-11-03, 18:16

I'm going to childbirth classes. I'm actually kind of glad it goes from 7-9:30. By the time we get home, there should be some actual results up. I'm thinking I'll watch Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert's take on it all.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2008-11-03, 18:19

will be at my brother's house with my family and his family and my mom and my older brother and his family...lots of people...we hope to have a fun night...PLEASE let it be a fun night

we will be switching between CNN, PBS, MSNBC and Comedy central

g

ps...i will be very hung over on wednesday...either way...i hope to be grumpy, but with a smile as opposed to grumpy and looking at real estate in new zealand

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2008-11-03, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Just wondering if anyone is doing anything special for erection night?
PM me and maybe you'll find out.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-11-03, 18:29

Is "not" an option? Because I'm not.

Not being snarky or a pill. But I'm 110% OD'd the hell out with it all, and have been for about 18 months. I've not followed it, beyond the casual glance. I've not watched the debates, participated in these threads here, etc. I'm so disgusted with the entire process and the people involved (all/both sides), including the people that "report" on it and analyze it all, etc.

So, yeah. It's another Tuesday for me. I'll watch "The Shield" at 10:00, "Jeopardy" at 7:30 (if it's not pre-empted), etc.

I figure I'll know everything I need to Wednesday morning. Can't imagine sitting in front of a TV, jacking off (or, conversely, contemplating slitting my own neck) based on the "returns" and sharp-eyed analysis.

Fact is, not much will be different or change, no matter who wins, other than some people feeling really good about themselves for a while, and some others not (pick your side). But I'm not naive enough to believe a cranky old man who's been part of the DC establishment for decades (but calls himself a "maverick" with a straight face) or a golden-throated, light-on-achievement senator (who seems to have a lot of people under some sort of freaky-ass, supernatural spell ) have it in them to turn much around.

That's not "cynical" or mean, and I don't intend for it to sound as such (but I realize, to some, it probably does). But I see it as more clear-headed and realistic. I think the job, this country and the things that face it, are bigger than one man. And one party or outlook.

But I'm not a cheerleader, and I know what I think and believe, so I won't need it propped-up (or assaulted, depending on which network or coverage I choose) all fucking day long tomorrow, so...

I'm not. I realize it's The Biggest Damn Thing That Has Ever Been™ to many here, and I wish them a good time with it. Hope it goes their way.

But I don't really care enough at this point, over this. I can't get passionate about it because while not an Obama fan/supporter, I sure as hell can't get all wound-up and erect over John McCain either.

It's been a shitty year. A couple of years. I'm glad to see it come to an end (I hope; something tells me it won't be easy, and we may be seeing some sort of Florida 2000 replay, I fear).

Hey, you asked...

I told.

And I was honest.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2008-11-03, 18:30

I'll be watching CNN exclusively. It's sad that Tim Russert won't be on tv this year.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2008-11-03, 18:36

hey, i've run the gauntlet in my short life....i went to malcolm x elementary school in berkeley, california, then we moved for middle school to southwest PA...a small town of 3000 that was, in all honesty, racist as can be...my grandfather, born and raised in SW PA, used the "N" word all the freakin time...

so, golden-throated or whatever he is, for me it is just a wonder to see a black man doing sooooo well in my god damn lifetime...i really didn't think it would happen

the fact that he is my age, married to his first wife and has two daughters (just like me) and that he is freakin smart and calm and seems nice...well that's all gravy

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
¡Damned!

2008-11-03, 18:48

I'm going to a Republican Party....erm, that is, party.

Dude that I'm courting to buy one of my properties is hardcore GOP, and we've developed enough of a rapport that he's invited me to one of his *exclusive* election parties. Very RED, mind you - and I don't expect that he's expecting I'll show up - but the invitation is there, so I might as well schmooze while I'm also The Most Hated Person In The Room™.

Anyway. I expect fun.

So it goes.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2008-11-03, 18:54

i smell massive win with that idea...

have a good time...

g
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-11-03, 18:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I'm going to a Republican Party....erm, that is, party.

Dude that I'm courting to buy one of my properties is hardcore GOP, and we've developed enough of a rapport that he's invited me to one of his *exclusive* election parties. Very RED, mind you - and I don't expect that he's expecting I'll show up - but the invitation is there, so I might as well schmooze while I'm also The Most Hated Person In The Room™.

Anyway. I expect fun.
Dude, you may as well go to a New England Patriots game wearing a Bernard Pollard jersey.
¡Damned!

2008-11-03, 19:10

Well, honestly, he's a good guy, and it's not totally his fault he's a Republican. I've met his dad.

Regardless, I've already RSVP'd and he's (that is, his secretary has) accepted, so my biggest quandary tonight is deciding what colour tie I wear tomorrow.

I'm thinking purple.

So it goes.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2008-11-03, 19:12

Trying to decide also. I'm not sure if I will watch it at all, just follow along on the computer whilst studying. I don't have a TV in my room so I can't just have it on in the background.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2008-11-03, 19:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post

Well, honestly, he's a good guy, and it's not totally his fault he's a Republican. I've met his dad.

Regardless, I've already RSVP'd and he's accepted, so my biggest quandary tonight is deciding what colour tie I wear tomorrow.

I'm thinking purple.
i have just the tie for you:

¡Damned!

2008-11-03, 19:17

g. ...you know, given the Republican track record with that sort of thing...

um, I'm not too keen on being propositioned in the bathroom stall...

Nice knit though. Do you think she could make me a Dr. Who scarf?

So it goes.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2008-11-03, 19:23

mmm, not to be crass...but a dr who scarf would get you propositioned just as easily i think

g
¡Damned!

2008-11-03, 19:30

^

You forget what it's like to freeze your ass off in all your NM gloriousness, don't you? (my third favorite state in the US)

That's not a true-blue Tom Baker scarf, btw. The arrangement is very specific:

TOTALLY derailed, but for a good cause.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2008-11-03, 19:44

All of the above dismissed, I'm kind of excited to watch the race from the perspective of the losing team. Not that I have some big schadenfreude monkey I need to exercise, mind you, I'm just curious of what the mindset will be after the fact. Republicans are not generally good people when not in complete control, so I'm anxious to know what they say immediately after the fact Obama has won.

So it goes.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-11-03, 20:05

I am watching the election via NHL Center Ice, where there may be the occasional "hey I think Obama is winning, Bob...". Actually during commercials I'll switch over to ABC but I won't like it because I always enjoyed watching Jennings on election night. So after about 12 seconds of Charles Mopey and friends, I'll switch back to hockey I'm sure. More inclined to read about it Wed morning than sit up all night watching.

If it's close I'll watch but hopefully that's not the case. Might watch Jim Lehrer on PBS if he's there...

...into the light of a dark black night.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-11-03, 20:07

I want to watch Fox news. But actually I *WANT* to watch the Lakers game....

Edit: Fortunately, I'm tarded and the Lakers game is actually on Wednesday. Which means, excellent.

Last edited by Wrao : 2008-11-03 at 20:23.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-11-03, 20:07

I might peek at The Daily Show or Indecision '08 or whatever show those guys are running tomorrow night, but honestly I'll probably be too busy playing Nintendo or something else more important.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-11-03, 20:13

Going out with friends to some club. Seriously. Party downstairs, election coverage on TVs upstairs.

For those in the Raleigh area:

http://www.101raleigh.com/
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-11-03, 20:15

Bonkerz you should be tending to your FH roster immediately. Priorities man, priorities! Why you missed almost the whole of last week, man. Egads!

Kidding of course... have fun.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-11-03, 21:05

I'll have classes and work from 10AM-9PM straight. But, when I come back home, I plan to leave the TV on and listen to the results all night.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-11-03, 22:29

Well, since we don't have cable my wife and I'll have to find a local channel that's televising stuff. I'm not sure what channel we'd watch or if we even will for that matter. I've always followed on CNN in the past when I had cable.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
faramirtook
A for effort.

2008-11-03, 22:49

CNN, and maybe ABC if I get bored of Wolf.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2008-11-03, 22:55

No Dan Rather! Damn!
I'm feeling more unlucky than a stallion in a field full of geldings, Like a gambler in Salt Lake City.......

I could go down to Grant Park but that means a sitter, and The Dems have said even if it's over early, No Barrack till 11pm.
I'd hate to go down and have to wait late, although the weather is going to be brilliant.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2008-11-03, 23:02

OOH Rather is on HDNet live tomorrow night!
I am as happy as roofer during tornado season, as pleased as a sailor in a slicker.......
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-11-03, 23:15

BBC/Channel Surf until I find Jon Stewart. Plus laptop with many windows open.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-11-03, 23:23

What time does the Stewart/Colbert election coverage start? Is it one hour early, or two?

If it's one, I'll watch that. If it's two, I'll be working.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-11-03, 23:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
What time does the Stewart/Colbert election coverage start? Is it one hour early, or two?
From 10 PM EST to midnight EST.